Is it just me or is this game insanely difficult on hard mode?

I have platinumed GoW 2 and GoW 3, been working on this one, the 2018 game and the ‘05 one. Chains of Olympus seems very difficult on hard mode (at least for me) in comparison to the starting hard difficulties for GoW 2 and GoW 3. Plus, on this game you do not receive full health when you restart from the last checkpoint, unlike some of the other games.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’ve been playing this game on PS5.

• Like 1

Yes, it's more challenging than the other games that is why you must practice parrying until you master it. You don't actually need to be 100% efficient at parrying but try your best.

Most of the times you can also evade the enemy attacks by rolling to safety.

Once you get the sub-weapon you can almost entirely rely on that one to beat the game since is very overpowered.

Take extreme caution with satyrs, those are really annoying. Good luck.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Deceptrox said:

Yes, it's more challenging than the other games that is why you must practice parrying until you master it. You don't actually need to be 100% efficient at parrying but try your best.

Most of the times you can also evade the enemy attacks by rolling to safety.

Once you get the sub-weapon you can almost entirely rely on that one to beat the game since is very overpowered.

Take extreme caution with satyrs, those are really annoying. Good luck.

That does make sense. I’ve learned the hard way that parrying is incredibly crucial in this game, probably even more than in the other games.

I do appreciate your advice! I love a good God of War game and this one has been nothing short of challenging to say the least.

The PSP GoW games did seem more difficult, but not in a good way. I remember Ghost of Sparta in particular has these wraith like enemies that constantly hide underground and uppercut you, which you can only avoid damage by jumping, they break through your block and dodging does nothing. One of the final areas in the game puts you in a room with 3 wraiths and 2 cyclops and it took me a few hours to beat it, which involved a very specific strategy of spamming jump attacks. The final boss fight right after wasnt nearly as difficult in comparison.

It just feels like the PSP games really like throwing you in rooms with annoying enemy groups, moreso than the console games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZachBoardyHD said:

I thought the exact same as well espeically with it's high completion rate. I lost count with how many deaths I had in it 1f605.png, just stick with it and you'll eventually get there 

I died so many times in this game, especially in Persephone’s temple. There were so many enemy encounters and very few chances to fully replenish health and magic, as restarting from checkpoints doesn’t give players that liberty in this game. :/

I enjoy the game though, but it seems way harder than some of the other GoW titles when played on the similar hard difficulties.

8 minutes ago, Snake_1302 said:

The PSP GoW games did seem more difficult, but not in a good way. I remember Ghost of Sparta in particular has these wraith like enemies that constantly hide underground and uppercut you, which you can only avoid damage by jumping, they break through your block and dodging does nothing. One of the final areas in the game puts you in a room with 3 wraiths and 2 cyclops and it took me a few hours to beat it, which involved a very specific strategy of spamming jump attacks. The final boss fight right after wasnt nearly as difficult in comparison.

It just feels like the PSP games really like throwing you in rooms with annoying enemy groups, moreso than the console games.

I agree. I can’t even remember the amount of times I had to fight through waves of enemies only to survive an encounter with next to no health only to enter another room and fight more waves of enemies. The PSP ones are definitely harder than the console games.

Huh I don't really remember this game being that hard, I mean sure I think there were some enemies that annoyed me but nothing to the point where I thought it was impossible. Just remember to doge and block attacks you'll get there eventually! 

• 4 weeks later...

It's really not that difficult. The game will punish you if you try to rush and start button-mashing as it should be on the harder difficulties. Get good at parrying and dodging and you'll breeze through most of the game.

Yeah, you'll die a bit but the checkpoints are extremely generous. If you get stuck at a part and you have little health, the game will gradually begin spawning you with more and more health after you die a few times to give you more of a fighting chance. 

I would've been screwed a couple of times if the game didn't do that. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...