Assist mode incoming platinum gonna be more achievable

Leo-Luster-Pow

On 28/06/2022 at 3:10 PM, Mori said:

I don't argue the fact you can get trophies on any difficulty setting in games, I even welcome it because most harder difficulty settings are poorly adjusted, example NieR Automata which I started on Hard difficulty only to move down to Normal during the later stages of the game because it became unbearable and not fun anymore.

The devs behind Dead Cells however decided to put trophies in the game that challenge the player to achieve some impressive feats. That was the developers intention with introducing said trophies. I'd never go out of my way and tell developers to change the trophies to be more or less challenging. Yes I might be dissappointed at times but that's it, I don't expect anyone to tailor their trophies to my expectations.

Now they introduce assist mode, which again is totally fine and even welcoming but at the same time they are defeating the purpose of the trophies they once decided to put in the game with the one addition of lowering health etc. If they decide to make their games and trophies easier in the future, that is totally fine but people have already put a lot of effort and time into Dead Cells trophies before assist mode was a thing. Yes, people still achieved it the "hard" way and nobody can take it from them but let's be honest here, people also like to show off their proudest achievements. Heck there even exist a trophy cabinet on PSNP. Yes, not everyone is like that but it would also be wrong to argue there are none that like to show off.

Imagine Crypt of the Necrodancer, one if not the most respectable platinum trophy to exist to this date, would receive an assist mode, lowering the difficulty from a 10/10 to a 5 or 6 out of 10. Even though the few that have achieved the platinum before assist mode did it the "hard" way, are now indistinguishable from the ones that would do it after assist mode was introduced. If I put myself into the shoes of those few, I would always have the urge to make sure it is visible that I did it the hard way, because I put so much effort and time into it. Edit: Seems Crypt might get a new console update that makes save scumming possible. lol

If one doesn't really care about all that, of course it does not affect them but there are people that care and it is simply unfair to tell those people "yeah, tough luck, deal with it". We, the few people that are very vocal about every game getting easier and trophies loosing their "value", are being told over and over again we should just accept it, we should stop gatekeeping, we should stop our elitism, not realizing they do exactly what they want "us" to stop.

Just because your daughter finds Rata games challenging and your wife has trouble remembering what buttons do what, does not mean they deserve every trophy or developers should tailor their trophies to them, after they decided to put challenging trophies into a game. Trophies in video games used to be about accomplishments and seeing it degrading more and more to gluttony is just sad in my eyes.

I'm of the exact same sentiment. Developers who would retroactively devolve my trophies would very likely be put aside in the future, likely for good if the slight is severe enough.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2022 at 3:23 PM, Vern3r0z said:

so how hard is the 100% for this game with the assist mode compared to the original 7/10?

Overall 3/10 with the only real challenge at least for me was doing the lighthouse no hit so maybe that one instance is a 7/10 not sure, but if just the platinum 3/10, it could be easier or harder really depends on the weapons for example if you parry it makes it so easy it's just not fun

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic. 

I'm in a weird position with this one, because I bought the game a couple of months before the Assist Mode was added. I'd got about 30% of the trophies, but was generally playing it in bursts. 

I can see both sides of this argument. It's a really tricky game, and I'd be kinda bummed if I'd put a lot of time, effort and skill into getting the platinum, only for the difficulty to be severely downgraded through an Assist Mode. 

At the same time, the developers seem to be putting quite a bit of effort into Dead Cells with all the DLCs and additions. It's not a surprise they want more people to play it, and many gamers will probably have been put off by the difficulty. This solves that problem a little, and makes it more accessible, which I don't think is a bad thing, necessarily. 

Ultimately, I'll probably end up using the infinite resets assist. As the poster above me said, I'm sure players were simply using save-scumming prior to the patch (especially for no-hit bosses), so all it's done is made doing that much less of a hassle. I don't LOVE the game enough to get whizzed back to the beginning every time I meet a new enemy, and they annihilate me in a few hits. 

Take the Mama Tick fight, for instance. I came across that for the first time the other day. Save-scumming is tiresome, so I didn't bother. But she wrecked me before I had time to learn her attacks. Got there again, tried it legit, got wrecked. And I just thought – this is kinda bullshit, I'm not even really learning her attack patterns because I'm dying within a few hits and going all the way back to the beginning of the game.

I know, I know "Git gud" or whatever. But that's some pretty unforgiving shit. So if people are getting the plat without save-scumming, that's amazing. However, I don't really have the time or the inclination to play Prisoners' Quarters 500 times before I make any progress... 

Edited by Finch_III
  • Like 4