Sherlock Holmes The Awakened( Remake) PS5&PS4

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 23/11/2022 at 10:02 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

I hope they don't imtroduce the open world mechanics from the new games to it. I love Sherlock: Chapter One but it's nowhere near as concise and polished an experience as Crimes & Punishment. I'm here for the mysteries, not running around a city looking for the intersection of Shit Street and Piss Avenue.

From what i know is not open like Chapter One, is a semi-open approach similar to previous game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Disappointed to hear that Chapter One was not received well by the fans. I've been waiting to buy it once all patches are out, but just found out the last patch was in November 2021 so it looks like it's time.

I think Chapter One's pretty good overall and definitely worth your money, it's just not as tight an experience as it could be. But the open world has its merits.

The game runs okay on PS5 although there's some FPS drops when traversing the open world, sadly.

• Like 2

On 26/11/2022 at 1:04 AM, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Disappointed to hear that Chapter One was not received well by the fans. I've been waiting to buy it once all patches are out, but just found out the last patch was in November 2021 so it looks like it's time.

Will be picking up this remake as well when it's released.

Chapter One was well received and is best entry of the series in terms of sales. The only "issue" i can think is that the game has a combat system first for the series, maybe that is the issue.

On 26/11/2022 at 10:37 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

I think Chapter One's pretty good overall and definitely worth your money, it's just not as tight an experience as it could be. But the open world has its merits.

The game runs okay on PS5 although there's some FPS drops when traversing the open world, sadly.

Chapter One open world is huge improvement over Sinking City, is very clearly how much they improve over their first open world game.

2 hours ago, ASMODAIOS344 said:

Chapter One was well received and is best entry of the series in terms of sales. The only "issue" i can think is that the game has a combat system first for the series, maybe that is the issue.

The game has plenty of issues. It's poorly optimized even in PS5, resulting in very frequent FPS drops and stuttering while traversing the open world. The combat is bad, and feels out of place. Sherlock can go around murdering entire gangs and nobody even bats an eye at him for doing so.

On top of that the open world itself distracts from the meat of the game, which is investigation. At no point playing Crimes and Punishment did I think to myself, "I wish this game had more aimless wandering around an open world!" And that's really all the open world adds. If anything, it takes away from the game, given we no longer have fantastic setpieces or puzzles like we did in the previous, more linear games. Instead we get... opening a map and looking for street intersections and talking to random civilians for clues. The open world isn't even relevant in investigations, because you never have to deduce where a location is yourself, you just find a note or some other piece of information which tells you to go to an intersection, and you go there. The only difference between that and traveling in a game like Crimes & Punishments is you have to run to the location yourself, and it isn't as impressive since it has to be merged into an open world and thus can't stand out too much.

Presumably because of the open world game design making cases more free form, the game's a lot more confusing, too. For instance, one case required me to get information from nobles at a dock, however after talking to a few of them with no result I figured that wasn't the solution. It was only when I looked up a guide that I found out that I had to speak to one specific nobleman in the same area who didn't really have anything to distinguish him or make him seem important. Another time I went to a crime scene and found a written message and a piece of clothing with no distinguishing marks except for a feather, and from that was somehow supposed to deduce that I was looking for a gang and should be searching the police archives. And even when they're working as intended, searching archives using keywords and talking to random NPCs on the street (which never gives you actual dialogue, just a generic response like "I can help you!" and then a document is added to your inventory) just isn't as fun as solving puzzles and experiencing chase scenes or whatever else.

Maybe at some point they'll manage to make their open worlds impressive enough that they'll add to the series instead of taking away from them, but as is they've traded being a fantastic detective series for being a decent one with a unique gimmick. The game's still very fun, but it feels more like an open world game where you're just running around doing side quests than a full fledged mystery game where the mystery is the game.

Maybe traditional adventure games just don't sell as well as they used to.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Thanks for the detailed post.  I actually like the semi open world segments in Devil's Daughter where you were running around to different houses on the streets; made the world feel very alive and lived in. Fingers crossed that I click with it more than others do since open world is my favourite style of game.

Yeah, I liked those parts too. I think they were able to make them a bit more detailed because they weren't part of a larger open world you have to be able to access at any time. I think you'll like Sherlock: Chapter One - despite my complaints I am enjoying it quite a bit. And the idea of an open world detective game does bring something unique to the table. I just don't think Frogwares really has the resources to fully flesh out such a game (then again, even in AAA games most open worlds tend to be bland) and so it suffers a bit as a result. It's an interesting experiment, at the very least.

• Like 2

On 29/11/2022 at 10:37 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

The game has plenty of issues. It's poorly optimized even in PS5, resulting in very frequent FPS drops and stuttering while traversing the open world. The combat is bad, and feels out of place. Sherlock can go around murdering entire gangs and nobody even bats an eye at him for doing so.

On top of that the open world itself distracts from the meat of the game, which is investigation. At no point playing Crimes and Punishment did I think to myself, "I wish this game had more aimless wandering around an open world!" And that's really all the open world adds. If anything, it takes away from the game, given we no longer have fantastic setpieces or puzzles like we did in the previous, more linear games. Instead we get... opening a map and looking for street intersections and talking to random civilians for clues. The open world isn't even relevant in investigations, because you never have to deduce where a location is yourself, you just find a note or some other piece of information which tells you to go to an intersection, and you go there. The only difference between that and traveling in a game like Crimes & Punishments is you have to run to the location yourself, and it isn't as impressive since it has to be merged into an open world and thus can't stand out too much.

Presumably because of the open world game design making cases more free form, the game's a lot more confusing, too. For instance, one case required me to get information from nobles at a dock, however after talking to a few of them with no result I figured that wasn't the solution. It was only when I looked up a guide that I found out that I had to speak to one specific nobleman in the same area who didn't really have anything to distinguish him or make him seem important. Another time I went to a crime scene and found a written message and a piece of clothing with no distinguishing marks except for a feather, and from that was somehow supposed to deduce that I was looking for a gang and should be searching the police archives. And even when they're working as intended, searching archives using keywords and talking to random NPCs on the street (which never gives you actual dialogue, just a generic response like "I can help you!" and then a document is added to your inventory) just isn't as fun as solving puzzles and experiencing chase scenes or whatever else.

Maybe at some point they'll manage to make their open worlds impressive enough that they'll add to the series instead of taking away from them, but as is they've traded being a fantastic detective series for being a decent one with a unique gimmick. The game's still very fun, but it feels more like an open world game where you're just running around doing side quests than a full fledged mystery game where the mystery is the game.

Maybe traditional adventure games just don't sell as well as they used to.

1)Thanks for sharing your experience, personally I haven't played Chapter One, i plan to play it when i get a PS5.

2)Sinking City used the same approach when you must use the city archives to continue the investigation, it was one of the feature i really enjoyed, the same applies to location as you must check the names of the streets to pinpoint the exact place

3)The Awakened remake will not feature a combat system, ,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Directly from Kickstarter page.

Dear backers,

We’ll get straight into the news. We have made the tough decision of delaying Sherlock Holmes The Awakened by a few weeks.

While the development of the game since April 2022 had always been challenging due to the war, the last 5 months starting in October 2022 have been extremely difficult for our team.

Initially, we were aiming for a February / early March release window, but the relentless strikes on civilian infrastructure in our country have forced us to work around continual blackouts and redo our entire production pipeline. Therefore, we decided to delay the game by a few weeks, moving it to late March / April 2023.

We've created a video showing how we are getting ready for the release as well as new gameplay footage captured on PC, PlayStation 5, and Nintendo Switch.

We’ve been trying really hard to make our planned release window, but the near-daily interruptions of electricity, on top of the missile attacks that come every 10 days or so, meant we had to replan everything. It also means the game itself has been impacted too, not just the schedule. But we’ll do our best and push on as much as we can. Once we feel we are maybe a month away from release, we’ll be able to announce our exact release date.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support! We’ll talk soon!

Love,

Frogwares

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you @Ghost for post now for the rest.

Besides the release date we also got the price of the different editions. First the information that was sent from Frogwares email account:

The game will have 3 editions available:

- Standard Edition | $ 39.99 / 39.99 EUR |  All platforms

- Deluxe Edition | $ 49.99 /49.99 EUR | All platforms
(Includes full game + side quests packs + 6 exclusive outfits)

- Premium Edition | $ 54.99 / 54.99 EUR | PC Only
(Includes full game, side quest packs + 6 exclusive outfits + digital artbook and soundtrack)

Pre-orders for all of the above have launched on all major digital storefronts where players will get an additional 3 custom outfits for Holmes and Watson as a bonus.

Important: Preorder on the Nintendo Switch will launch at a later date.

See you soon,
Your Team Frogwares

DLC — The Whispered Dreams Side Quest Pack includes the following quests:
- The Haunted House
- The Other Gods
- The Dreams Of Children
- The Silver Tide
- The Frogs In The Walls
- The Doomed Folk.

The Detective's Wardrobe cosmetic set with the following items:
- Plague Doctor Suit + Mask
- Stylish Suit
- Purple Waistcoat
- Magician's Hat
- Vogel's Glasses
- Watson's Stylish Suit.

I like the names of the dlc side quests. The names are no the same besides ''The Other Gods'' which is one of my favorite short stories by the way but you can clearly unsterstand the reference.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

New trailer along with a small message from the developers.

Dear backers,

The release date of our game is just around the corner. We are thrilled to share with you the legendary friendship tale of Holmes and Watson in our new "Famous Detective Duo" trailer, which highlights the expanded take on the relationship between the two.

The bond between Holmes and Watson is unbreakable, with each of them complementing the other's strengths. While Holmes may sometimes get lost in the delusions of his mind, Watson always keeps him grounded in the truth. Together, they face the daunting task of saving the world from chthonic madness, but will they emerge victorious or will they succumb to it along with the rest of humanity?

Sherlock Holmes The Awakened will be in your hands on April 11, 2023.

Despite the challenges we have faced in Ukraine, we continue to hold on strong, and your unwavering encouragement gives us the strength to keep moving forward. We are forever grateful for your support and excited to showcase what we can do, especially during these uncertain times.

With love,

Your Frogwares Team

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Got Chapter One in the backlog so have to get through that first but I'm impressed that the devs seem to have pulled this one together through Kickstarter of all places.

I play Chapter one and i have a blast, it's very good.