Can I play the PS4 version of a game on a PS4 if I own the PS5 Disc version?

Viper

So I'm likely taking a trip to Florida soon to spend some time with my Dads side of the family. My Dad has a PS4, and I usually bring a handful of PS4 games with me to play and for him to try (he's mostly about Destiny 2 and sports games). 

So here's the deal...one of the games I'd be bringing with me is my copy of WWE 2K22, just one of those perfect games where I can kill an hour or two here and there if we're not doing anything (and he actually managed to beat me in a match in 2K20 last year, so it's rematch time!). But I have the PS5 version on disc, but this also entitled me to the Digital PS4 version. Now in order to play the PS4 or PS5 version, the disc would have to be in the PS5, regardless. But does this work if I had the PS4 version loaded on his PS4 when I'm there? Would putting the PS5 disc in a PS4 do anything...or can this particular PS4 version only be used on a PS5? 

Edited by Viper

No, I'm sorry: you can't play any Ps5 game disc in a Ps4, as you already know, with some cross-gen titles - e.g. Horizon II forbidden west or elden ring - you can put the Ps4 version disc into your (standard) Ps5 and then you can decide if you want to update the game to its next gen version or to simply play the Ps4 version via backwards compatibility. But you can't do viceversa. In a few words Ps4 can't read Ps5 discs.

A next gen console can have backwards compatibility, but an old gen system is never future compatible ;)

PS I see you're playing Kingdoms of Amalur, great choice! It is in my personal list of games that I consider masterpiece and it's one of the best and most underrated fantasy rpg.  

• Like 1

Well I figured the PS4 wouldn't accept the PS5 disc...but I guess I was asking is if there was any way to play that Digital PS4 version of the game on his PS4? Like if I were to play the PS4 version on my PS5, I need the disc, but I didn't know if it worked the other way around, where I could just play the PS4 version on his system without it. 

On 08/09/2022 at 0:02 AM, Viper said:

Well I figured the PS4 wouldn't accept the PS5 disc...but I guess I was asking is if there was any way to play that Digital PS4 version of the game on his PS4? Like if I were to play the PS4 version on my PS5, I need the disc, but I didn't know if it worked the other way around, where I could just play the PS4 version on his system without it. 

Unless the game appears in your PS4's download history, you can forget it :(. If you're desperate to play the PS4 version on a PS4, your only real option if this doesn't work, is to find a cheap second hand copy and buy the game again.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yes, unfortunately you can't. You could even think to install your digital Ps4 version on an external Usb/HDD/SSD and attach the external storage to your dad's Ps4 , but even then the Ps4 would make a new format of the storage prior to the use of that, and so the console would delete the copy of the game (together with any other content installed in the storage )

So basically the only option is to find a cheap, physical or digital Ps4 copy of the game.

• Like 1

So got confirmation now...loaded up my PS4 Pro and decided to check my Library and WWE 2K22 was there, so I tried downloading it and it worked....after installing it enough to where I could play it...it worked!

I decided to change the title of this thread, because I think it focuses way too much on the PS5 disc aspect and that's not really what I was asking about. I simply wanted to know if I own the PS5 version of a game on disc, and get the PS4 digital version for free...could I play the PS4 version on a PS4 if normally the disc is needed to play it otherwise. And I can now officially confirm that it works perfectly fine.