Platinum Walkthrough - New Game / Master / 100% / 5 hours / No Glitches

Optinooby

• 2 weeks later...

All done, a 5 hour platinum route on Master, No glitches. This is possible because Master is now already unlocked courtesy of the Anniversary update!!

That 5 hours will be easy to hit of you plan to use the Master Glitch (still works on 2.05), though expect longer with deaths if doing the game legit.

Overall, having NEVER played Kena before and jumping straight in on Master which I guess nobody could do before, I've honestly found this no way near as bad as it's made out to be!!

Sure some fights took a bit of trial and error, but no more than 15+ minutes of retries. And I actually NEVER parried except for the 2nd to last boss as parrying is easier than dodging with him. The rest of the bosses, I just used dodge, rot actions and sometimes ranged strategies when bosses were deadly in melee range!!

As for the final boss, there is now a exploit that seems to have been introduced with the Anniversary update. This exploit lets you PERMANENTLY heal between phases 1 & 2 indefinitely! I won't go into it too much as I don't want it patched, it's in the video. Just don't shout it out too loud and hopefully the Devs don't get wind of it!

A few possibilities why players are finding it hard is because playing on easy first creates some bad habits, I never got these starting on Master. And they are trying to parry everything, I parried nothing except one boss as mentioned, parrying is difficult in this so why make it harder for yourself!!

I haven't gone in depth with the text in terms of boss strategies, I more spoke about them in the videos. But if you want me to explain a bit further my boss strategies in text form, just let me know!!

Hope you enjoy ;)

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

I mean it's possible that your just really good at games and had no troubles cause your a master haha you make guides for some of the most convoluted,frustrating and at times just hard games so I'd think you have the patience and fortitude to just be good haha 

Perhaps, but I'm not sure if I would say I'm good, I think I may be quite clumsy in games. No matter how much I practice something, I seem to always make a lot of silly mistakes.

I definitely have patience, I think that is just as a guide writer though!! If I wasn't making a guide, I would have happily played on easy on used the glitch!!

A few of those that followed haven't had much trouble either!!

I haven't listened to any outside guides though as I always like to experiment with everything myself. A lot of guides advise to parry strangely with this game and I think that has intentionally made it difficult for some.

Also before players have already done 100% on NG, so when they play Master, they don't 100% and so that is another possible reason making it harder! I 100% Master and so I had a lot more tools at my disposal, and if course a few Charmstones which are now available!

It's also possible that Master was rebalanced for NG to accommodate it now being unlocked from the start.....!!

I had a go on NG+ Master and it's quite big jump in difficulty compared to NG Master. The first encounter got me killed a few times and that is just basic enemies, maybe that was because NG+ throws new enemy types at you!

Have you been through Master??

I cover a lot of complicated games or try to, but I usually try to make them as easy as possible so I'm not sure if that reflects my skill when I deliberately make it as easy as possible!!

Hollow Knight is the hardest game I did legit, but I think I just got lucky with that and I in no way want to go through that again!! Was not fun, just needed to do it legit for guide purposes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Perhaps, but I'm not sure if I would say I'm good, I think I may be quite clumsy in games. No matter how much I practice something, I seem to always make a lot of silly mistakes.

I definitely have patience, I think that is just as a guide writer though!! If I wasn't making a guide, I would have happily played on easy on used the glitch!!

A few of those that followed haven't had much trouble either!!

I haven't listened to any outside guides though as I always like to experiment with everything myself. A lot of guides advise to parry strangely with this game and I think that has intentionally made it difficult for some.

Also before players have already done 100% on NG, so when they play Master, they don't 100% and so that is another possible reason making it harder! I 100% Master and so I had a lot more tools at my disposal, and if course a few Charmstones which are now available!

It's also possible that Master was rebalanced for NG to accommodate it now being unlocked from the start.....!!

I had a go on NG+ Master and it's quite big jump in difficulty compared to NG Master. The first encounter got me killed a few times and that is just basic enemies, maybe that was because NG+ throws new enemy types at you!

Have you been through Master??

I cover a lot of complicated games or try to, but I usually try to make them as easy as possible so I'm not sure if that reflects my skill when I deliberately make it as easy as possible!!

Hollow Knight is the hardest game I did legit, but I think I just got lucky with that and I in no way want to go through that again!! Was not fun, just needed to do it legit for guide purposes.

Lol I think everyone that's human and actually plays for fun as made plenty of silly mistakes or has silly habits like for some reason in games that allow it instead of running I bunny hop cause I feel it's faster haha and I can't tell you how often I've repeatedly fallen off the same cliff before I realized that's not the correct place to go.  

And as for did I do master it's 1 of those yes and no kinda things did I legit do master for my plats on PS4 and PS5 mo I used the glitches of the time to save an extra run cause I don't want to burn out but I have gone back since and played master and while it's rough going it's not a souls game unless u make it so like you said

And yeah I don't perry in most games aside from like assassin's Creed cause that's easily the best way to kill in battle in the old games heck I hardly use magic in most which probably made life harder in games like kingdom hearts and Skyrim ect lol I just go in swinging and forget there's easier methods than bashing enemy heads in with a blunt object

But yeah I don't think I'd have the patience to write guides as detailed and meticulous as yours I'd probably just generalize and toss in tips lol like bring a strong gun/weapon and run like hell (always always good advice I live by that advice) 

Honestly I'm still on the fence about starting games like chrono cross and greedfall cause the guides are like a mile long (knowing that the actual playing while written long is going to go much quicker lol. ) But chrono cross back on PS1 was my jam so I'm definitely going for it 

• Like 1

I wish no battle took me more than 15 minutes lol.

I did it on expert first and then master and oh man was it hard.

I imagine it's a lot easier now on NG+ though, even with all the extra enemies and boss moves, since you have spirit dash and can get the charm and that builds up courage super fast. Freeze everything with your bombs and wail away.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, emailking said:

I wish no battle took me more than 15 minutes lol.

I did it on expert first and then master and oh man was it hard.

I imagine it's a lot easier now on NG+ though, even with all the extra enemies and boss moves, since you have spirit dash and can get the charm and that builds up courage super fast. Freeze everything with your bombs and wail away.

I'm thinking they may have rebalanced Master a little bit for NG to accommodate it being available from the start.

I tried NG+ briefly and after just completing NG Master, the 2nd fight in NG+ hit me hard as I died a few times xD. There are new enemy types and all different encounter layouts. Having all abilities etc only help so much as no ability really breaks the game. NG+ Master is so different that you know the very first battle in the cave where those enemies spawn one at a time, well on Master 3 spawn at once, that's an example of how different things are juiced up.

I was thinking of playing NG+ Master just for the experience, but I'm not really sure now after experiencing the first few encounters on it xD.

That charm that builds up courage super fast btw, it's just been nerfed in 2.05 so I read

I've never played this game, but I am interested in it, just waiting for a "good" sale.

But I just want to write in support of @Optinooby's claim about doability. I've used several of his guides in the past, and he really does a great job at making tough parts of games as simple as possible, and he's not speaking from a place of arrogance when he says something is easier to do a certain way that people don't usually do. Only thing to take with a grain of salt is his estimations of time to complete (often reading his instructions takes quite a bit of time too and I count that towards time to complete the game), but I'm not bothered by that.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 4:55 PM, Optinooby said:

I'm thinking they may have rebalanced Master a little bit for NG to accommodate it being available from the start.

I tried NG+ briefly and after just completing NG Master, the 2nd fight in NG+ hit me hard as I died a few times xD. There are new enemy types and all different encounter layouts. Having all abilities etc only help so much as no ability really breaks the game. NG+ Master is so different that you know the very first battle in the cave where those enemies spawn one at a time, well on Master 3 spawn at once, that's an example of how different things are juiced up.

I was thinking of playing NG+ Master just for the experience, but I'm not really sure now after experiencing the first few encounters on it xD.

That charm that builds up courage super fast btw, it's just been nerfed in 2.05 so I read

Yeah I played NG+ on normal and it was super hard, as hard as my original master playthrough,until I remembered Spirit Dash. With that + the courage charm it was a breeze and only toshi gave me a problem.

Edited by emailking
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ambro-PL said:

How many Hats in village area do you need for Platinum? Orginaly there was 21, but after anniversary update there is 31. 

You just need all the base game hats. I dunno exactly if you can get a different assortment of hats to make the total, but the trophy pops on 50 hats even if there are still a lot remaining in the map trackers. So I assume 50 was the base game number and that hasn't changed in terms of trophy requirements

3 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

You just need all the base game hats. I dunno exactly if you can get a different assortment of hats to make the total, but the trophy pops on 50 hats even if there are still a lot remaining in the map trackers. So I assume 50 was the base game number and that hasn't changed in terms of trophy requirements

Uff good. Thanks for quick answer :)

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, andrehunter said:

Thanks for your guide it's been really helpful, i just don't understand how to heal in the last battle, don't know if it's been patched or not, but nothing i do lets me heal

You need that charmstone equipped, the one that makes it so courage pick ups heal you.

Then each time an enemy drops courage in that realm between the boss stages, you can pulse to obtain the courage. The courage drops become invisible, but never disappear once dropped from the enemy, so you can repeatedly collect them via pulsing.

Though on your very first attempt, there will be zero courage drops, then once they drop from the enemies in that realm, they will remain, even when dying/retrying. Its why it may seem like there is quite a lot for me, I may have died once or twice ;)

Thats how it works, if it no longer does, then either its been patched, or you may have a charmstone that is clashing with the exploit, though I cant say for sure as I only ever got a few charmstones, Im not aware of all the different abilites.

An example would be a charmstone that swaps courage drops for something else, not saying such charmstone exists, but if it did and you had it equipped, then no courage would be dropping and so no exploit!! Make sure nothing else is clashing with the courage drops.

Let me know mate

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

You need that charmstone equipped, the one that makes it so courage pick ups heal you.

Then each time an enemy drops courage in that realm between the boss stages, you can pulse to obtain the courage. The courage drops become invisible, but never disappear once dropped from the enemy, so you can repeatedly collect them via pulsing.

Though on your very first attempt, there will be zero courage drops, then once they drop from the enemies in that realm, they will remain, even when dying/retrying. Its why it may seem like there is quite a lot for me, I may have died once or twice ;)

Thats how it works, if it no longer does, then either its been patched, or you may have a charmstone that is clashing with the exploit, though I cant say for sure as I only ever got a few charmstones, Im not aware of all the different abilites.

An example would be a charmstone that swaps courage drops for something else, not saying such charmstone exists, but if it did and you had it equipped, then no courage would be dropping and so no exploit!! Make sure nothing else is clashing with the courage drops.

Let me know mate

Thanks for the really quick answer. Yeah i'm able to do it, it was weird beause on the first attempts i really couldn't do it at all. Never changed the charmstone and had followed your guide all the way trough. Now to see if i can kill this boss.

• 3 months later...

Awesome as usual @Optinooby. Using the text guide right now. I don't know if I will find everything on my first playthrough but at least If I tackle the combat related trophies I guess I'm on the good side right? 

Edit: I'm making exception. I'm following your video guide because don't wanna backtrack later on. Usually I hate following video guides but it's okay here and there. At least your videos are enjoyable to watch. Have a good one.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2022 at 5:07 AM, Optinooby said:

Overall, having NEVER played Kena before and jumping straight in on Master which I guess nobody could do before, I've honestly found this no way near as bad as it's made out to be!!

Just like you, I had never played Kena and decided to jump right into Master difficulty after reading your posts. I agree, it was not as though as I read it would be. Then again, I regularly play games on hard settings even when not required trophy wise because I like good challenges, so that probably played in my favor here. Sure I had a few fails, I cleared some bosses on the first go while a few others took me 5-6 tries, my only trouble maker was the 2nd last boss which likely took ~10-12 tries.

For reference it took me ~18 hours (I had the game running on pause for 2-3 hours so my game clock is overestimated).

I did keep track of the collectibles mostly with your text guide, so I just want to say thank you, it was a huge help to minimize backtracking. The videos were also pretty convenient when I needed extra info on some hidden locations. Kudos!

On 10/23/2022 at 5:07 AM, Optinooby said:

A few possibilities why players are finding it hard is because playing on easy first creates some bad habits, I never got these starting on Master. And they are trying to parry everything, I parried nothing except one boss as mentioned, parrying is difficult in this so why make it harder for yourself!!

There is a significant spike between Story and Master and I expect people who played on low difficulty to have a hard time adjusting.

I also think that with its cartoonish allure, Kena caught the attention of many gamers which are usually not attracted to harder games.

Very cool game overall. I'm catching up on my backlog and I glad I played this one out.

• Like 1