An Idyllic Smal Town

Cerber108

Holy crap, trophy on its own isn't difficult, but state of this game is unacceptable. On my first playthrough I focused on story, without collectibles, without misc, so I died somewhere on this chapter, but experienced no bugs. Then, when said playthrough was finished, I started doing misc trophies. This is where the fun began. I played chapter 5 from the beginning 2 times, on both it kicked me out of the game near diner. Then I said "screw it" and went to earn the "concert" trophy from chapter 4. I decided to play to the end and through to chapter 5 - I died near church, of course. Then I started from "The night it all began" or however it is called in english. First time it glitched me out near town hall and then inside where this big sheriff guy appears. I was on the edge of insanity, so decided to beat this crap of a game on Nightmare and try to earn it then. First two times I fell from the scaffolding (pathetic) and then it glitched me the fuck out near the second chest. Aftere finishing my hard playthrough I replayed this section one last time and fortunatelly earned it... One of my most infuriating trophies.

All of this happened again in "The Signal" DLC. Got kicked out 4 times in the diner and 4 in the shop after car throwing madness. Oh, and on the very first playthrough near the Deerfest truck by the church it glitched as well. I had to uninstall and reinstall this game without patches. And, for fuck sake, why is it running smoother on 1.0 than on more recent versions? This is absurd.

Same situation for me, but I solved it by formatting the ps4. It always gave error CE-34878-0, it prevented me from completing the trophy you mentioned. It happened that the objects were invisible and suddenly kicked me out of the game 

Ps it also happened to me with version 1.0

Edited by VespeMatte-

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is such a frustrating trophy, not due to difficulty but because of technical issues. I played this episode normally and it did not crash once, but the moment I replayed this episode on easy for the trophy, It took me about 9 attempts before I was able to get through the episode without any problems. I wasn't able to isolate the solution as I tried multiple things all at the same time, but for anyone else crashing during episode 5 here are some things I tried to get me through the episode.

NOTE: Played the digital 1.05 version on a PS4 Slim.

• Rebuild PS4 Database
  • Uninstall and re-install game
  • Disable Motion Blur and Film Grain in graphic settings
  • Don't skip cutscenes (I assumed the game was loading stuff in the background during cutscenes)(?)
  • Don't speed run the trophy - You can see a loading icon in the lower left of the screen whenever the game is loading/saving something in the background. Pause the game and wait for this icon to disappear.

I observed the crashes were happening roughly around the same areas, most notably the first enemy encounter after the ravens, around the diner, after the enemy encounter near the portable toilets in the carpark. and just after going through the wooden gate after the first horde survival section. I noticed that each time I restarted the episode after a crash, I would slowly make it further through the episode before crashing again. I did not test this, but if the above suggestions don't work, as @Alondate31 posted. you probably could brute force your way to the end by replaying the entire episode after every crash and hoping you get further than before until you got to the end.   

Not a game breaking bug, but definitely a trophy breaking one. Hope this helps someone out, good luck!

Edited by Roundtoad
Credited another poster for their suggestion

• 3 weeks later...

Why is the game like this? With those kinds of errors in programming. When I first played it, I didn't have any impediments in the main game. Then, having finished it and that I wanted to get the trophy, it freezes when trying to open the first gate. Then it lets me go a little further (30 seconds) and freezes and so on that it is impossible and frustrating to play. At that rate finishing the chapter would take days.

• 4 weeks later...

This might not help you guys but I figured it was information worth sharing anyway. It seems like this crashing issue relating to this trophy is exclusive to PS4 (or at the very least it's a lot more common on PS4) as I was experiencing constant crashes too when I was going for this trophy last month on PS4. I've bought a PS5 since then and just got the trophy with 0 crashes this time, though I did still take Roundtoad's advice of not skipping cutscenes as well as turning off film grain and motion blur just to be safe. So just in case there's anyone else who, like me, had given up on getting the Alan Wake platinum because of the issues with this trophy but intends to buy a PS5 eventually then you hopefully shouldn't have any issues once you do :)

Edited by shaneyboy619

So after trying all of the above and always crashing at the same location I finally got the trophy to pop after changing a few things on settings. I went back and try it two more times after getting the trophy just to be safe and I got to the chopper all without problems so I guess Its a pretty safe way of getting this stupid trophy out of the way while doing the clean up.

First disable everything on the screen. Motion Blur, Film Grain, HUD, Subtitles all should be off. Second I had the commentary turned on in Remaster.

Then once the chapter starts don't skip any cutscenes and never run through any section until after you reach the library you are safe to run and the game won't crash past this point.

Finally once you get to the section near the dinner pause the game for about 20sec and after the fight in the portable bathrooms do the same and pause for a bit.

All of this got me to the chopper 3 times in a row so I assume it's a pretty consistent way of doing this after crashing countless times. Games like this should not have this kind of trophies as they ruin whats otherwise a pretty enjoyable experience imo or they just shouldn't exist on PS4 if on PS5 everything performes how it should. Hope this helps someone

• 2 months later...

Died at the church door on my normal playthrough because I didn't use my flares when I should've with the fast guy in the second wave.  Threw myself off the helipad a little later anyways so I probably would've died there if I hadn't when I did.  Replayed it on easy and did it with no issues that run.

The crashing doesn't seem to happen on the PS5 version though. I used the episode to farm hunting rifle kills after finishing normal with no issues.  Glad I skipped playing the PS4 version from the sounds of all of this. Hopefully the PS5 versions dlc works fine too.