This game still requires a lot of work.

Silocia

Now let me pre-face this post by saying that this post isn't about bashing the game. I actually think there's something to this game but it suffers from the same thing most AA games suffer from, great ideas but poor execution due to dev size and/or funding.

Okay back to the topic. 

I'm playing on the PS5 and I'm playing in performance mode but the performance of the game is just utterly shocking, I'm constantly getting noticeable frame dips and in some cases I have to close the game down and restart it to stable the frames and stop it being a slideshow. This to me points to memory leak and I don't understand how this far into release and then porting over to PS5 it hasn't been spotted.

Combat. Awful, in general its just not satisfying and if I was critiquing the game properly I would have a lot more to say but I want this post to be about the issues rather than the design choices.

My issue is that Super Wung-Fu doesn't work specifically the square move. it doesn't work, the amount of times I'm hitting square, stood next to an enemy and the hits are connecting but there's zero damage happening OR again I'm stood next to the enemy he hits them, goes into the air but the enemy doesn't follow its absurd and its happening a lot more than it being a freak accident. This happens a lot in normal combat as well especially against bigger enemies, I'm stood right next to them and attacking but there's just no damage.

Healing menu not working. I've opened up the healing menu mid combat, selected the healing item the sound triggers to say I've used it but nothing happens. Health gets low to the point the quick heal prompt comes up and I'm spamming the button but no healing is happening. It just doesn't work.

Is this happening in the PS4 version? Has this been patched but they ported the wrong version over? (its happened before) I just don't know but I don't feel its acceptable for it to happen within the original release never mind a PS5 port.

I'm interested to hear if other people are having these issues or any other issues that are happening to them frequently. It does seem like its been lost this month with the other releases.

• Like 4

Yeah the super wung fu is wonky for me. But luckily I damage them. When I tap square the circle never fills up. But I do damage them still. 

The combat looked amazing in the trailer but it really is lackluster. 

That’s why I never care about buying games day one. The new god of war tho looks amazing. There is always exceptions. 

Went through all PS5 versions and never had any of the above mentioned troubles. Super Wung Fu is clunky but it gets a bit better if you level up strength for more damage.

Healing is a bit weak in this fame, takes too much time to regenerate. Best to get better armor and parry/dodge skills.

Yeah, the whole game is very generic and incredibly boring to me. The combat is what made me give up on it. It's so bland, I was wondering at times if there are any sound effects that were just not playing when they should. The PS5 version stutters a bit but I didn't encounter the slide show->restart thing.

Maybe I'll finish it at some point when I'm out of better things to play, but I don't see that hapenning anytime soon. 

Edited by the1andonly654
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

In 2023 I think Biomutant is quite underrated.  I peaked at the patch notes and can see various improvements that I couldn't imagine not being there. Let's just say I can see why day 1 buyers found the world to be "empty". Speaking of the world, it's beautiful  (rain effects are particularly impressive) with different biomes. There's also a surprising variety of enemy types - I was still discovering unique enemies even late game. All the landmarks are so awe-inspiring that it compelled me to go over and check it out, and there's usually something worthwhile like quest givers that are only discoverable via self-motivated exploring. Framerate on performance mode isn't quite 60 but it's acceptable. So, in terms of world design there's a really good foundation here but it just needed something to fill out the other 50% of the world other than Ubisoft-style location checklists. 

My only true gripe was the loot. 90% of what you find is always way worse than what's equipped and when you loot these items the stats appear subsequently for some reason, making it take longer than necessary to find out if the item is worth it or not. I get that it's a stylistic way of prolonging the celebration but in a game that could easily take you anywhere from 30 to 50 hours depending on how much you ant to explore that's a lot of time waiting for words to appear on screen. I also thought it could have done with some editing - a few too many different systems and upgrades and perks. God of War Ragnarok suffered from the same illness, although I don't think it drags down Biomutant nearly as much as it did in GOWR. Anyway, overall it's a really lovely, chill game with a lot of potential. Hope it gets a sequel.

• Like 1