Wii U Sales Outpacing PlayStation 4’s in Japan?

Crisis001

There's an article on IGN that states that while the PS4 is doing well here in the west, over in Japan, it's not the same.

Media Create reports for both PlayStation 4 and Wii U and Nintendo’s Wii U is steadily outpacing Sony’s PlayStation 4 through their first three respective weeks.

To know more, check the article here!

i can understand ps4 not doing well because it still doesn't have much japanese developer support yet, but why the heck is Wii U gaining momentum? There is really nothing on that system right now.

Tell me what game on the ps4 is worth dishing out 400$ for? The Wii U has Super Mario 3d world, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Sonic Lost World and it's got Mario kart 8 coming out, bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, X. All there are all kinds of rpg's coming to the wii u in the next year and it looks like Nintendo will win 2014, at least they should 

Am I the only one who remembers the whole "4 is evil" in Japan thing? Maybe it's because of that.  Something about it being synonymous with death.

You mean how one of the ways to say 4 in Japanese is the same as the word death in Japanese? That may be affecting sales, that and the number 4 is considered to be unlucky in Japan.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who remembers the whole "4 is evil" in Japan thing? Maybe it's because of that.  Something about it being synonymous with death.

I think the more likely reason is not a whole hell of a lot out on the PS4 thats not on the PS3. That and all the great stuff coming out on PS3. For instance, South Park is huge in Japan. ( I keeed)

You mean how one of the ways to say 4 in Japanese is the same as the word death in Japanese? That may be affecting sales, that and the number 4 is considered to be unlucky in Japan.

It's considered unlucky exactly because of the On reading of 4 which is shi.

It's not uncommon for places like hospitals or hotels to not have a 4th floor, but a 3bis floor  :kies:

That's what I heard, at least.

But Sony is japanese, so I doubt they would overlook such a thing when choosing a name for their products.

And it's highly plausible that the On reading is used only when the number is written in japanese. When written with the arabic number used by us they probably just read it in english.