Is this like Diablo ?

ZZ383

The videos on the store page for this game do fuck-all to explain the gameplay of this game. But it looked sort of like a Diablo clone, and if so, is it a decent enough one to get my friend who is in to Diablo 3 to play this with me?

Its made by mojang

expect broken / glitched trophies

i thought the base game was okay but thats where i left off with it

it has its version of diablo 2’s secret cow level which is a tip of the cap to the diablo franchise but the game itself wasnt very memorable and got old pretty quick

just play diablo

It's more basic than Diablo 2 or Diablo 3 and has a different feel to it.

The gameplay is less complex overall. You have a melee weapon and a ranged weapon (with limited arrows per dungeon/run) and three slots for artifacts. These artifacts can summon pets, provide extra healing, do AoE damage, etc. Think of these mostly as active skills with cooldowns. Your three pieces of gear (melee weapon, armor, and ranged weapon) have up to three enchantment clusters with up to three enchantments per cluster. You can pick one enchantment per cluster, for a maximum of three enchantments for each of your three enchantable equipment pieces. These enchantments are essentially passive skills such as life leech, corpse explosion if a mob dies, pushback, ricocheting arrows, etc.

There is a large pool of different enchantments and they basically form the core of a build. There is no skill tree and there are no distributable stats. Items have the enchantments (passives) that they have, and this is often (always?) random, unless it's a unique item that may have a fixed passive in addition. If a passive you want is not on an item, I don't believe you can add it. You get one enchantment point whenever you level up and the cost (in enchantment points) of the enchantments depend on their tier and their power level. So a build consists of up to 9 passive skills, 3 active abilities, and effects provided by unique gear. 

Every map or dungeon you visit has a small number of possible loot drops. Their power level depends on the power level of the zone (you can scale the difficulty when you enter a zone). If you complete the zone, you get one of the items listed in the reward sections. There is another "loot table" for things that can drop in each zone, too. You can recover enchantment points ("skill points") by either destroying (salvaging) an item that you enchanted or by giving it to the blacksmith to upgrade it. Upgrading requires completing three zones during which you won't be able to use the items currently being upgraded. You basically need two sets of gear to swap between. This also requires emeralds (gold). Drops get better the higher difficulty is set.

It's a nice game to play while watching a movie or a stream, and I can see it being entertaining to play in coop while voice chatting with a buddy (I haven't played with anyone and just used a second controller for the one coop trophy). There is also a "tower mode" that I haven't tried yet and that looks somewhat promising. The more I level up and the more interesting gear I find, the more the game grows on me.

I unlocked the platinum in the base game and since I have the DLC already, I'll play more and see what DLC trophies I can get. I'll say that Diablo games are more interesting to me and more complex, but since it's free this month with PS+ Essential, there's no harm in trying it out. Even if you don't end up playing it excessively, the plat is easy. It's the DLC content that seems to be much harder and time-consuming.

Edited by mrmivo
  • Like 3