DARK SOULS II: Boss Help & Tactical Discussion

amebapiko

A place for you to post tactics which can help with boss fights. Feel free to ask for assistance here too!

I might try to maintain this first post by using quotes with the recommended tactics for particular bosses, if this thread has good reception. I thought it would be best to create this as the "Thoughts & Experiences" was more of a general thread not for specific tactical discussion of the game.

Edited by KillCount2121
  • Like 1

Having a lot of trouble with the Smelter Demon - his huge swing and his AoE attack are very very difficult to deal with - anyone have any tips for this? Ive summoned a few different times, but still havent managed to survive - the phantoms ive summoned seem to get killed pretty quick too!

Im around level 96, amd using a fully upgraded bstarrd sword with lightning infusion 

Any tips for the gargoyles? can't summon someone to help me since i always get invaded. Having a hard time killing them all on my own.

I had trouble at first but it's very easy if you focus on one at a time if possible and make sure you have life gems (I found I had enough time to heal with flask also), don't be reckless, assuming you are a melee character, go in for a few hits and then back out. Heal when necessary.

Anyone have any tips for the 'Royal Rat Authority' boss?

Any tips for the gargoyles? can't summon someone to help me since i always get invaded. Having a hard time killing them all on my own.

If you're struggling on your own I definitely recommend that you keep trying to summon people ;) The battle is so much more manageable with help.

Having a lot of trouble with the Smelter Demon - his huge swing and his AoE attack are very very difficult to deal with - anyone have any tips for this? Ive summoned a few different times, but still havent managed to survive - the phantoms ive summoned seem to get killed pretty quick too!

Im around level 96, amd using a fully upgraded bstarrd sword with lightning infusion 

Rolling works wonders :) As long as you're not a heavy roller anyway.

Once I understood his attacks they became pretty easy to avoid with some rolling to the left or right. As for the AoE attack he does; if you see him linger just back off and it wont hit you.

Good luck :D

Anyone have any tips for the 'Royal Rat Authority' boss?

If you're struggling on your own I definitely recommend that you keep trying to summon people ;) The battle is so much more manageable with help.

Rolling works wonders :) As long as you're not a heavy roller anyway.

Once I understood his attacks they became pretty easy to avoid with some rolling to the left or right. As for the AoE attack he does; if you see him linger just back off and it wont hit you.

Good luck :D

yup, I guess - im generally quite good at rolling dodge battles (at least have been up to now!) His swipe seems to have a much closer collision detection than other bosses tho - even rolling so close I can practically lick his fiery armpit I still get well pummelled! He must hit hella hars too, cause with poise > 80 I still get staggered!

Oh well, im thinking ill head off to another location an let my blood simmer down a little before heading back to get him, don't want to end up kerb-stomping another controller ;)

• Like 1

Right now I'm trying to beat that Spider Boss and 'Royal Rat Authority'

The best way I find to defeat the Spider boss (Duke's Dear Freja I think) is to stay close. It either attacks with one of the heads, at which point run around to the other head and attack, or it does that stomping attack which you can completely avoid by standing close to it and at its side.

If you're ever at a distance and it does that laser beam thing just make sure to run! 

Fire works well against it too ;)

Most bosses are easy to beat.  Just summon two other phatoms to help, referably gold phantoms.  Can't summon help against the Royal Rat Authority.  I died about 9 times before I got him.  I just tried again and again until I got him.  I wear a the ring of life protection; so, it costs me 3000 souls every time I die.

I had trouble at first but it's very easy if you focus on one at a time if possible and make sure you have life gems (I found I had enough time to heal with flask also), don't be reckless, assuming you are a melee character, go in for a few hits and then back out. Heal when necessary.

Two words - Lightning weapon!

Solo'd this first time, my lightning Bastard Sword was killing each gargoyle in 3 hits, so they never got a chance to swarm.

The best way I find to defeat the Spider boss (Duke's Dear Freja I think) is to stay close. It either attacks with one of the heads, at which point run around to the other head and attack, or it does that stomping attack which you can completely avoid by standing close to it and at its side.

If you're ever at a distance and it does that laser beam thing just make sure to run! 

Fire works well against it too ;)

Thanks will try this, I only attempted this boss twice, being in someone elses world both times. Wasn't too sure how to handle it, first time I got killed by the beam and last time I got stomped on, I'll stick close to it now!

Royal rat authority is easy if you know what you're doing.

Took quite a while to get the hang of it. Time the rolls correctly when it charges, I roll in to him, then lock on and slash. You will get at least a good hit, sometimes it will back off and sometimes it will continue to attack (swinging its front legs). If it does the latter, since you are under it, just slash away and it will knock a huge amount of HP off. Rinse and repeat. When it starts puking everywhere just back off and when it bites go in for blows afterwards.

If you want to finish it off even faster apply fire to your weapon.

Guys I think I just found a secret bonfire in the Last Bastille.

First, you defeat the Pursuer at Forest of the Fallen Giants and take the eagle to go to the bonfire in the Bastille

Slowly make your way forward and after the tower where you meet a mysterious woman, there will be 4 enemies with their backs against you. Kill them and you arrive at the top of the stairs..... there you can see a gunpowder barrel, push it down and make it fall near the cracked wall. When in position, attack it and it will explode making the wall crumble(if near enough), behind the broken wall you can see the bonfire.

Guys I think I just found a secret bonfire in the Last Bastille.

First, you defeat the Pursuer at Forest of the Fallen Giants and take the eagle to go to the bonfire in the Bastille

Slowly make your way forward and after the tower where you meet a mysterious woman, there will be 4 enemies with their backs against you. Kill them and you arrive at the top of the stairs..... there you can see a gunpowder barrel, push it down and make it fall near the cracked wall. When in position, attack it and it will explode making the wall crumble(if near enough), behind the broken wall you can see the bonfire.

Thats Steady Hand McDuffs workshop bonfire isn't it? You can do that, or get the Bastille key after the Bell Gargoyles to open the gate to it I think. (I did it the way you said tho - well, the enemy blew the wall up with the barrel - along with my sorry ass!

• Like 1

Thats Steady Hand McDuffs workshop bonfire isn't it? You can do that, or get the Bastille key after the Bell Gargoyles to open the gate to it I think. (I did it the way you said tho - well, the enemy blew the wall up with the barrel - along with my sorry ass!

Might be veering a bit off topic here but what is the item that he needs and where is it found, do you know?

Yep.... Didn't know that that was his name, he just keeps rambling something about embers, but after lighting the lamp opposite to him he got up and I got a twinkling titanite out of it.

btw... who needs keys when you can just blast your way in?

Royal rat authority is easy if you know what you're doing.

Took quite a while to get the hang of it. Time the rolls correctly when it charges, I roll in to him, then lock on and slash. You will get at least a good hit, sometimes it will back off and sometimes it will continue to attack (swinging its front legs). If it does the latter, since you are under it, just slash away and it will knock a huge amount of HP off. Rinse and repeat. When it starts puking everywhere just back off and when it bites go in for blows afterwards.

If you want to finish it off even faster apply fire to your weapon.

Just kicked its ass :D

The main issue I had were the little poison rats that are with the boss, at least they distracted me anyway. I decided to use the 'Lingering Flame' Pyromancy, which you can buy from Straid of Olaphis or it can be dropped from the big mummy enemies in The Lost Bastille, and killed the little rats in one :) It made the actual boss much easier.

Just kicked its ass :D

The main issue I had were the little poison rats that are with the boss, at least they distracted me anyway. I decided to use the 'Lingering Flame' Pyromancy, which you can buy from Straid of Olaphis or it can be dropped from the big mummy enemies in The Lost Bastille, and killed the little rats in one :) It made the actual boss much easier.

Glad you beat it! Took me a lot of tries to properly learn how the fight works and get familiar with the tactics I'd use, when I started two-handing my weapon the rats at the start were not a problem, they are very tricky.

I hate my life. As a pure (mostly anyways) int. sorcerer, I'm having trouble with The Lost Sinner and The Gargoyles. Any Tips?

And Rolling around has never been my forte in any of the souls games as I played predominately an Int. build in all of them.

Edited by The Game

I hate my life. As a pure (mostly anyways) int. sorcerer, I'm having trouble with The Lost Sinner and The Gargoyles. Any Tips?

And Rolling around has never been my forte in any of the souls games as I played predominately an Int. build in all of them.

Sounds like you need to summon some help for those two. But beat the gargoyles first because after you beat them you can get a key to open gates near the lost sinner to light the arena up so you can stay locked on. 

Sounds like you need to summon some help for those two. But beat the gargoyles first because after you beat them you can get a key to open gates near the lost sinner to light the arena up so you can stay locked on. 

Never knew you could light that place up, that's cool... Also I don't think you can summon anyone for the Gargoyle fight since it's in Belfry Lunar, I might be wrong though...