I wanted to love this game...

RedDevil757

25 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

I also absolutely love the game & think it's peak FromSoftware (this is coming from someone whose not really a fan of the open world concept, but FromSoftware made it feel fun all the way through). But I'd argue that a lot of the side dungeons/bosses are repetitive. Tons of recycled boss fights for them & a lot of the side dungeons looked exactly the same, especially the crypt dungeons. The Pumpkin Head, The Cat Statues, The Erdtree Avatars, The Tree Spirit, The Crystalized dudes, That knight boss with the light tail (I can't remember what he was called). All bosses you fight a multitude of times without much difference in the actual fights other than the element they use, how much HP/damage they have/inflict, & even how many there are at once.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the game, but there was plenty of fat in it like every open world out there. Elden Rings gameplay loop is just an enjoyable one (to some people) to the point where you don't really notice it or even care that it's there

I really didn't feel that way - except maybe on the surface, visually, I suppose.

Even the least distinct elements, such as some of the smaller caves and ruins, or smaller optional dungeons might have reused texture pallets etc.... but there was always enough unique layouts and little elements about negotiating them, that it never really felt repetitive to me - certainly not in the way that some other open world games can. (and I like open world games, don't get me wrong!)

Granted, I played through only twice, and "only"put in a hundred hours or so, but for me, it really felt like the first "open world" game to actually feel like it justified it's own size, by seeming genuinely unique no matter which way the wind happened to take me each evening I sat down and went adventuring!

Obviously it's not going to actually be entirely unique in every single detail - even games that come closest to that like TLOU are recycling some assets, even without having an open world - but I think Elden Ring came the closest to realising the real sense of "I genuinely do not know what to expect next, but I know it'll be awesome!" of any open world game I've personally played.

IMO, of course!

• Like 3

I didn't like it as much as I was hoping to. I don't hate the game, but I was disappointed.

After playing the masterpiece known as Dark Souls 3, I was super hyped for Elden Ring since it was getting so much praise and was supposed to be one of the best games of all time. I went in expecting a 9 or 10/10 only to come out with like a 6/10. I wasn't a fan of the majority of the bosses and the endgame just isn't as fun because of how strong the enemies start getting even with 60+ Vigor and good armor. The past games were fine even with gear that increased the damage you took, but Elden Ring feels like they just tried to go bigger and it backfired. It just wasn't as fun anymore. The game definitely has highlights like Torrent and the visuals, but it was dragged down by the problems I mentioned above.

While I ended up regretting using cloud saves for Bloodborne's platinum because of how much I loved it, I did not for Elden Ring. It was decent, but not something I'm dying to replay. I wanted to pre-order the game, but decided to wait since I needed to recover from the onslaught of Horizon and Dying Light 2's collector's editions and I'm glad I did. I would have felt like I got burned paying $60 instead of the $45 I did. As for the DLC, I think I'll still buy it since FromSoft DLCs almost always end up being better than the main game (or just as good in DS3 and BB's case). In each of their games that has gotten DLC, at least one of the DLC bosses becomes one of my favorites for that game.

Edited by SnakeSound222

• 2 months later...

I loved it. At first I was a bit put off by the open world but it grew on me. The game's not perfect, I didn't particularly like the balancing towards playing with summons. I'm also not a fan of huge enemies that you can only see a small part of and it seemed like there's more of those than usual. But bosses like Melenia were great, she might be my 2nd favorite boss design from all of those games right after the Dancer of the Boreal Valley. 

Took me a little over a 100 hours to do both stacks and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna replay it at some point. 

I could post a similar thread about Sekiro though. Tried so hard to like it and completely failed. 

5 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

[…]

I could post a similar thread about Sekiro though. Tried so hard to like it and completely failed. 

I have the same problem with Sekiro. Tried picking it up three different times and still can’t get into it. Definitely my least favorite From game.

• 1 month later...

You completely have a point, yes the game does get boring as it has a big open world with not much to do, or explore except the main castles and forts. It feels stale around the halfway point to 60%. Like there is nothing else really in the open world except ruins. Also there is more mobs in dark souls than in this game. For a big open world game, they needed more mobs/enemies. The dogs in this game are bullshit, they constantly dodge you. They have fixed the frame rate and stuttering since launch but the game still falters by its own design. Getting 1-2 shotted by everything at the start of the game is artificial difficulty. But yes the big open empty world is the main problem, for subsequent playthroughs it really shows. Then you have the ridiculous chain combos the bosses do in this game, which gets kinda tedious. And that stun your character gets from every enemy in the game is fucking infuriating, there is no recovery frames with that stun, at least DS2 gave you recovery frames from Bullshit! Also the armour in the game is next to useless as you will still take pretty much same damage and poise doesn't exist, you get stunned from everything and everyone.

Edited by ElektrickRage

• 1 month later...

This is my first Soulsborne game and I’m genuinely blown away so far. I’m around 20 hours in, just defeated Renalla, and I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that’s one of the finest boss battles ever. I’m yet to find anything to complain about and, for the first time in a while, find myself eager to finish up the day’s tasks and jump onto a game!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 3:38 AM, RedDevil757 said:

I love the soulsborne series of games. Not just the fromsoft games but others like the Surge too. I was so excited for elden ring. Pre-ordered and got it day one.

My problem is that I find myself burning out with it super fast. I find one of the main castles and I'll be having a great time exploring and then you defeat the boss and you're back in the open world. It's then that I get really bored and fedup with it. At the rate I'm going, it'll take me like a decade to finish it. I'm so done with open world games. I want more structured games but that seems to be a bad thing to say these days ?

I absolutely agree with your opinion and I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks that way :)

I'm a gamer since a very long time and I don't like the direction games take since a couple of years that everything needs to be open world because "bigger is better".

I started with Bloodborne on the release date and it was my introduction to this genre :D

I love Bloodborne but Dark Souls III is my favorite of the "Soulsborne" games.

This is the order I played the whole series including my rankings (not sure about #3 & #4):

Bloodborne (2015) - #2

Dark Souls III (2016) -#1

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (2017) -#5

Dark Souls - Remastered (2018) -#3

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019) -#7

Demon's Souls - Remake (2021) -#4

Elden Ring (2022) -#6

So I played the Dark Souls games backwards in the "wrong order" haha

I got the platinum in all of them except for Elden Ring and Sekiro because these two are my least favorites of those games (I know that's an unpopular opinion) and I didn't even finish these two 😅

In my opinion Sekiro is the worst of them but only because I don't like the parrying system and I only played it because I got it from a friend but I never was that interested in this game in the first place.

I like Elden Ring but I wasn't that hyped for this game either :D I only played it because of the same friend.

I think I played the game for about 50 hours and I enjoy the combat, the world, the weapons and the bosses so I get why people love it but the aspect of the open world is something I don't need in every game and in my opinion it's just to big.

I still want to complete it and get the platinum in the game but I don't have the urge to play it soon so I rather play other games which don't need that much time to finish but maybe that's because I always liked linear storydriven games more than open world games.