The game you will never finish - 6.4 Version

MakoSOLIDER

9yBO3Wv.jpeg

I clicked the wrong button during a spectral current and wasted 350 GP when I didn't need to (pressed Identical Cast despite not having enough GP for Double Hook)....

Paid the fucking price at the end lol.

61 points short of 16k hahaha I can't even be disappointed it was 100% my fault (well actually one of the voyage mission I got sucked ass so I couldn't get that +10% bonus). If I didn't use that Identical Cast accidentally and instead used that 350 GP for a Double Hook during that spectral current I would have prob even hit 16.5k comfortably. I'm getting into the groove though, the last time I did ocean fishing was when it came out so had to learn how it works again and what the strats are to scoring high points.

Edited by PostGameBlues

11 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

9yBO3Wv.jpeg

I clicked the wrong button during a spectral current and wasted 350 GP when I didn't need to (pressed Identical Cast despite not having enough GP for Double Hook)....

Paid the fucking price at the end lol.

61 points short of 16k hahaha I can't even be disappointed it was 100% my fault (well actually one of the voyage mission I got sucked ass so I couldn't get that +10% bonus). If I didn't use that Identical Cast accidentally and instead used that 350 GP for a Double Hook during that spectral current I would have prob even hit 16.5k comfortably. I'm getting into the groove though, the last time I did ocean fishing was when it came out so had to learn how it works again and what the strats are to scoring high points.

That's a real troll score lol. Do you have any tips for this? I tried an ocean fishing voyage for the first time and got like 4600 points, so I'm probably missing something.

3 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

That's a real troll score lol. Do you have any tips for this? I tried an ocean fishing voyage for the first time and got like 4600 points, so I'm probably missing something.

https://guides.ffxivteamcraft.com/guide/ocean-fishing-points

This was really helpful to read, especially the section about 'Skills', 'Spectral Currents' and 'Overall Strategy'. Really helps with how you approach every ocean fishing trip.

Like for example, prioritizing building Angler stacks (3 stacks restore 150 GP) at the first stop of every trip so that you are ready for 'burst' during eventual spectral currents. You want to have as much Angler stacks as possible when the spectral current pops because it allows you to do a Double Hook [400 GP] (you start with a blind double hook with aid of the cast timer macro - you can find this in the guide as well) -> Identical Cast [350 GP] -> Prized Catch [200 GP] -> (pop Hi-Cordial and Angler Stacks) -> Triple Hook [700 GP] = profit.

One thing I will recommend strongly is that you have 950 GP. It makes this burst a lot more achievable. 900 GP is fine but you'd have to do some waiting in between casts to replenish GP but you really want as many casts during spectral currents as possible.

https://ffxiv.pf-n.co/ocean-fishing

This site is the usual go-to for following exactly which baits to use at each stop, in and out of spectral currents. It's like a tracker that basically sorts everything out for you. But unfortunately it's not updated to include the new Ruby route just yet, and I imagine it will take a couple of weeks to do so given there's a lot of info they still have to gather.  But it is something to look out for if you don't mind leaving this fishing trophy for much later. I don't have that choice being from OCE datacenter, I gotta strike while the iron's still hot lol. 

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

https://guides.ffxivteamcraft.com/guide/ocean-fishing-points

This was really helpful to read, especially the section about 'Skills', 'Spectral Currents' and 'Overall Strategy'. Really helps with how you approach every ocean fishing trip.

Like for example, prioritizing building Angler stacks (3 stacks restore 150 GP) at the first stop of every trip so that you are ready for 'burst' during eventual spectral currents. You want to have as much Angler stacks as possible when the spectral current pops because it allows you to do a Double Hook [400 GP] (you start with a blind double hook with aid of the cast timer macro - you can find this in the guide as well) -> Identical Cast [350 GP] -> Prized Catch [200 GP] -> (pop Hi-Cordial and Angler Stacks) -> Triple Hook [700 GP] = profit.

One thing I will recommend strongly is that you have 950 GP. It makes this burst a lot more achievable. 900 GP is fine but you'd have to do some waiting in between casts to replenish GP but you really want as many casts during spectral currents as possible.

https://ffxiv.pf-n.co/ocean-fishing

This site is the usual go-to for following exactly which baits to use at each stop, in and out of spectral currents. It's like a tracker that basically sorts everything out for you. But unfortunately it's not updated to include the new Ruby route just yet, and I imagine it will take a couple of weeks to do so given there's a lot of info they still have to gather.  But it is something to look out for if you don't mind leaving this fishing trophy for much later. I don't have that choice being from OCE datacenter, I gotta strike while the iron's still hot lol. 

There’s a spreadsheet in the fishers discord that you can follow. Its harder to read but its the same concept. I just got 23k using it. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRwGdlaadqwY_X7htQdIGbKmhaAue2leyrB7jj06gsuoCcdwxRQtDdqLKW0k-H3SJ7P7wvM1pi2zoJ2/pubhtml#

Edited by Thaerick
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Thaerick said:

There’s a spreadsheet in the fishers discord that you can follow. Its harder to read but its the same concept. I just got 23k using it. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRwGdlaadqwY_X7htQdIGbKmhaAue2leyrB7jj06gsuoCcdwxRQtDdqLKW0k-H3SJ7P7wvM1pi2zoJ2/pubhtml#

Yeah I'm trying to use that but I can't read it for shit lol. What do the numbers mean on the bait columns (guessing bite times?) and I still don't know which baits to use because I don't know how to interpret the blues and greens. So far I can only understand  the right side of this document. It's also pretty tough to look at this while fishing, especially during spectral currents when fishes are biting quickly.

Edit: Nvm I managed to figure out by asking some people on discord lol. I just got the trophy after closely following this document. Got 24.1k easily. I 100% got carried by the godly RNG on the trip I was on. Gulls and dolphins galore, was collecting Angler stacks pretty frequently and all three spectral current pops.  

Now time to abandon ocean fishing till they add another trophy to it lmao.

Edited by PostGameBlues

6 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

Yeah I'm trying to use that but I can't read it for shit lol. What do the numbers mean on the bait columns (guessing bite times?) and I still don't know which baits to use because I don't know how to interpret the blues and greens. So far I can only understand  the right side of this document. It's also pretty tough to look at this while fishing, especially during spectral currents when fishes are biting quickly.

Edit: Nvm I managed to figure out by asking some people on discord lol. I just got the trophy after closely following this document. Got 24.1k easily. I 100% got carried by the godly RNG on the trip I was on. Gulls and dolphins galore, was collecting Angler stacks pretty frequently and all three spectral current pops.  

Now time to abandon ocean fishing till they add another trophy to it lmao.

Could you share what you learned? I managed a 10k run with only two spectral windows, so I think I'm getting better, but have no clue what baits to use during the spectral windows.

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Could you share what you learned? I managed a 10k run with only two spectral windows, so I think I'm getting better, but have no clue what baits to use during the spectral windows.

General tips:

- You need at least 2 spectral currents, it's really difficult to get 16K with only one since the max duration of a spectral current is 3min and the default one is 2min (when you skip a s.c. the next one's duration is increased up to 3min. it's also increased if the previous one's duration was less than 2min because the timer was already short).

- Use the spreadsheet given above, BLUE mean best bait (there is a legend at the top), number inside are bit times.

- Normal current is only for 2 things: Building Angler Stacks and catching the spectral fish! So open up with Patience and use the bait for the spectral fish (Check the spreadsheet)

- When Spectral occurs, you want to catch the fish that gives the highest points using Triple Hook AND Prize Catch! Again, check the spreadsheet, do a simple math: Points x TH number = The fish you want to catch (Check The time availability! Some fish are not available during day/night/sunset/sunrise...). When you Catch that fish => Prize Catch + Identical Cast => Triple Hook (That cost 1250 GP, so use Hi-Cordials & Tahaliak's Favor).

- Work for the 3 missions as a group! that will give you a +20% bonus at the end.

- 2 spectral currents will give you +20%, 3 will give you +30%

- If you do everything correctly you should get at least +90% at the end, so work towards ~9000 points and you are done!

Notes:

- The higher the number of players on the boat, the harder it becomes to proc the Spectral Current!

- The higher the number of players on the boat, the harder it becomes to the missions!

45 minutes ago, oYazmat said:

General tips:

- You need at least 2 spectral currents, it's really difficult to get 16K with only one since the max duration of a spectral current is 3min and the default one is 2min (when you skip a s.c. the next one's duration is increased up to 3min. it's also increased if the previous one's duration was less than 2min because the timer was already short).

- Use the spreadsheet given above, BLUE mean best bait (there is a legend at the top), number inside are bit times.

- Normal current is only for 2 things: Building Angler Stacks and catching the spectral fish! So open up with Patience and use the bait for the spectral fish (Check the spreadsheet)

- When Spectral occurs, you want to catch the fish that gives the highest points using Triple Hook AND Prize Catch! Again, check the spreadsheet, do a simple math: Points x TH number = The fish you want to catch (Check The time availability! Some fish are not available during day/night/sunset/sunrise...). When you Catch that fish => Prize Catch + Identical Cast => Triple Hook (That cost 1250 GP, so use Hi-Cordials & Tahaliak's Favor).

- Work for the 3 missions as a group! that will give you a +20% bonus at the end.

- 2 spectral currents will give you +20%, 3 will give you +30%

- If you do everything correctly you should get at least +90% at the end, so work towards ~9000 points and you are done!

Notes:

- The higher the number of players on the boat, the harder it becomes to proc the Spectral Current!

- The higher the number of players on the boat, the harder it becomes to the missions!

Managed a 7.9k run (14.7k final score). Getting closer. I'm positive I'll get it if I get a triple spectral trip. When you say work for the three missions as a group, does that mean that others can help you? I do have some trouble getting catch-specific types of fish missions (shellfish, squid, etc.). Does partying up help?

4 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

You need to look at the boat route in advance and compare to the spreadsheet. The high value fish usually only appear at one time. The spreadsheet tells you what baits do and don’t work for those fish. E.g if its sirensong at evening see what fish ONLY appears at evening and use that bait in the spectral

By checking this in advance you can plan out what you do before you even go on the boat. 

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Managed a 7.9k run (14.7k final score). Getting closer. I'm positive I'll get it if I get a triple spectral trip. When you say work for the three missions as a group, does that mean that others can help you? I do have some trouble getting catch-specific types of fish missions (shellfish, squid, etc.). Does partying up help?

They almost always seem individual, I dunno where I had read to complete the missions individually or in group.

And btw, don't worry if you don't finish the 3 of them. The first one is always the same depending on the route and should be easy to do. The second one is always the same doesn't matter the route. The third one is variable, some can be tough. Focus on doing the first and second AFTER the Spectral Current.

I just got the trophy like a minute ago, got 18K points (Finished with 9,5K without a bonus on 24 player boat that somehow proc 3 spectral currents!) and I only did 2/3 missions.

1 minute ago, oYazmat said:

They almost always seem individual, I dunno where I had read to complete the missions individually or in group.

And btw, don't worry if you don't finish the 3 of them. The first one is always the same depending on the route and should be easy to do. The second one is always the same doesn't matter the route. The third one is variable, some can be tough. Focus on doing the first and second AFTER the Spectral Current.

I just got the trophy like a minute ago, got 18K points (Finished with 9,5K without a bonus on 24 player boat that somehow proc 3 spectral currents!) and I only did 2/3 missions.

Grats. I had a pretty bad run on the most recent voyage lol only one spectral current. I'll get it eventually, but I think I understand the system now.

1 minute ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Grats. I had a pretty bad run on the most recent voyage lol only one spectral current. I'll get it eventually, but I think I understand the system now.

If you want here are my notes based on the Fishing Horizon Discord spreadsheet:

Sirensong: Plump for spectral fish > Krill (Night - Vivid Pink Shrimp !) / Krill (Sunet & Day - Nymeia's Wheel !!)
Kugane: Ragworm for spectral fish > Plump (Swordtip Squid !!)
Ruby Sea: Krill for spectral fish > Plump (Flying Squid !!)
One River: Plump for spectral fish > Ragworm (Day - Gensui Shrimp OR Crowshadow Mussel !) / Krill (Night - Un-Namazu !!) / Krill (Sunset - Ginrin Goshiki !!)

Be sure to check the spreadsheet because preferred baits might change since it's a WIP.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

One thing I will recommend strongly is that you have 950 GP.

What gear do you use to have this much GP ? With the 620 ilvl gear on the marketboard and the last splendorous weapon I only have 864.

12 hours ago, lbadplaay said:

What gear do you use to have this much GP ? With the 620 ilvl gear on the marketboard and the last splendorous weapon I only have 864.

Like sepheroithisgod said it's all about GP when it comes to ocean fishing. I already pentamelded my i620 gatherer set and it only has 900~ GP and even with the GP food (Yakow Moussaka gives the most GP) I was only hitting 940 ish.

Luckily my retainers were still wearing my old pentamelded i590 set and I simply swapped some materia slots with GP. Didn't want to mess with my current i620 gatherer set just for ocean fishing since that's gonna last me till the next expansion when I'm levelling my DoL jobs.

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:53 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

You need to meld it with GP Materia. There is also food you can eat to boost your GP.

I didn't need the food, with perfectionist gear and the latest accessories and materia melding I was at 965 GP. But food can be a welcomed addition. Same goes for latest gear but I don't think that adds any more GP

5 hours ago, AntoShin said:

Even following advice, i never got to 12k.....

i always fish normal fish most of time, even with good baits

You don't need good baits, you need 3 baits you can buy from an NPC near the one you use to queue for the boat: Krill, Ragworm & Plump. See my previous post

Edited by oYazmat

2 hours ago, oYazmat said:

I didn't need the food, with perfectionist gear and the latest accessories and materia melding I was at 965 GP. But food can be a welcomed addition. Same goes for latest gear but I don't think that adds any more GP

You don't need good baits, you need 3 baits you can buy from an NPC near the one you use to queue for the boat: Krill, Ragworm & Plump. See my previous post

i am using those 3 but still even switching for the good one at right time, always end mission i am each time to 6k points, and most of time 1/3 mission done (the fish from 2 mission never pop i near always fish the same 10 or 20 point fish which dont come with mission)

i just dont understand i follow guide i use GP as much as possible i have 1011 GP with food i use patienty to get the 10 stack fast,

use the bait like yiazmat said at good moment, but i have done more than 30 try i have got only 1 time 12k all other time i am under it

I just dont understand how you can get this 15k or 16k easily each turn, 

I mean even on spectral time the good one never spawn on my rod (and i have the correct bait depending on time )

Between that and EO (which i still doing it) i dont know how to get it

If anything, Square is making me get into parts of XIV I normally wouldn't do. Oceanfishing is a new one, but I like fishing so I hope I'll do well. That being said, that blue mage log is looking like a massive grind. But hey, I felt the same way about the TT cards at 6.0.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brabantgamer777 said:

If anything, Square is making me get into parts of XIV I normally wouldn't do. Oceanfishing is a new one, but I like fishing so I hope I'll do well. That being said, that blue mage log is looking like a massive grind. But hey, I felt the same way about the TT cards at 6.0.

I agree, before they added the Triple Triad trophy I couldn't give a damn about Triple Triad at all. But because of it, I took the time to actually give it a fair shot, learned the rules, how to play, etc., and I actually really loved it. I also collect every card on new patches now because they might hit us up with another TT trophy in 7.0 lol. As long as they don't add a trophy for catching all the fishes in the game, I'm fine with whatever they decide to add a trophy for lol. Maybe a trophy for Mahjong would suck since I hate Mahjong irl but I'd still go for it in the end. 

Catching all big fishes on the other hand, can take several months if not years depending on how much effort you want to put into it. Some fishes only spawn in very rare weather transition conditions (some transitions can happen only once every month depending on RNG), and a lot of them are caught by using large fishes that you also have to catch with other large fishes. And when you do get the chance to have everything you need to catch these elusive fishes, they can still escape as you're reeling them in.

It's a cruel RNG chain that can leave your soul broken. I know someone who's been trying to get the Big Fish title since the end of Shadowbringers, and they're still going at it lol. So as long as SE does not become downright cruel and sadistic by adding a big fishing trophy, I'll be receptive of whatever trophy they throw in for us trophy hunters. Then again if you happen to be a Big fish collector and a trophy hunter I guess you'll be blessed with one of the rarest ultra rare trophies to ever exist lol.

Edited by PostGameBlues

1 hour ago, PostGameBlues said:

I agree, before they added the Triple Triad trophy I couldn't give a damn about Triple Triad at all. But because of it, I took the time to actually give it a fair shot, learned the rules, how to play, etc., and I actually really loved it. I also collect every card on new patches now because they might hit us up with another TT trophy in 7.0 lol. As long as they don't add a trophy for catching all the fishes in the game, I'm fine with whatever they decide to add a trophy for lol. Maybe a trophy for Mahjong would suck since I hate Mahjong irl but I'd still go for it in the end. 

Catching all big fishes on the other hand, can take several months if not years depending on how much effort you want to put into it. Some fishes only spawn in very rare weather transition conditions (some transitions can happen only once every month depending on RNG), and a lot of them are caught by using large fishes that you also have to catch with other large fishes. And when you do get the chance to have everything you need to catch these elusive fishes, they can still escape as you're reeling them in.

It's a cruel RNG chain that can leave your soul broken. I know someone who's been trying to get the Big Fish title since the end of Shadowbringers, and they're still going at it lol. So as long as SE does not become downright cruel and sadistic by adding a big fishing trophy, I'll be receptive of whatever trophy they throw in for us trophy hunters. Then again if you happen to be a Big fish collector and a trophy hunter I guess you'll be blessed with one of the rarest ultra rare trophies to ever exist lol.

Well, since they added Solo Deep Dungeon trophy, I started expecting any king of trophy... And big fish might come some day!

2 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

This is actually my biggest fear. The big fish grind is real. I know one guy that actually did this and he basically had to mess up his sleep schedule for a few months to be awake at like 3 in the morning to catch some of the rare weather windows. It's a massive undertaking, to say the least.