Sharing is Caring

LDN-Legend

This topic is under construction and I kind of need to know where the mods stand on the rules of this too.

Basically I want to setup a PS3 disc sharing community in order to alleviate Cex profiteering from our trophy hunting. Basically, for the price of a first class stamp, we can send each other games in the post, and return the favour with either another game, or return said game, with an extra stamp inside, after you platinum so that the sender loses nothing. Basically borrowing games from each other using the postal service. I can understand certain things like privacy issues with addresses and potential scams but lets be honest, PS3 discs arent worth much, and this would be based only in the UK. I am willing to send a book of 24 stamps to a few members who are willing to moderate this and help it to happen. What is peoples opinions on this? Is it feasible? Are people just too untrustworthy on the internet? Obviously there would be bans for people who do not return games etc, and agreements can be made prior such as time frames. Is this something worth putting effort to setup? Let me know your thoughts! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sepheroithisgod said:

There is already a physical game trading thread where users exchange games with one another. I don't see anything wrong with the suggestion as it is just trading physical games with one another.

Hey could you link me to that? Didn't realise it's already a thing. 

This is a nice sentiment, but please don't do this. There's a reason that the game trading thread rarely has people actually trading.

Without some kind of service ensuring that both parties are protected, it's only a matter of time before someone gets screwed over. Especially when it comes to PS3 games, since they're getting more valuable as they get older. Everyone is a stranger here, and there wouldn't be any repercussions if someone just didn't send a game for a trade. Since the forum takes no responsibility for that kind of thing. Also, there's people from around the world on this forum. If someone from say, Australia, wanted to trade, they'd be spending a lot of money. With international shipping, and shipping in general, there's also the risk of games just being lost or broken. Then you have people who don't really know if the game was lost, broken, or they just stole it. Even with tracking someone could easily claim they never received something. I get stuff for my neighbors pretty regularly, and I've had stuff marked as delivered that I never got too. Then of course some people just don't know how to take care of things, so games are going to be broken that way too. It's a whole thing that's really best avoided. And while a lot of PS3 games aren't worth a lot compared to new games, most I've seen are in the $30-$60 range. A few are a bit more. You lose just 2 games, and you're out $60-$120. That's a considerable amount of money. Not to mention that you are fairly new here. I would be hard pressed to trust anyone here with games, let alone someone with less than 100 posts. It's easy to think that this post is just a scam from someone who doesn't care about the forums and just wants free games.

Unless there's someone willing to pay for all of the shipping expenses, pay to replace lost discs, and cover any other unforeseen costs for everyone to ensure no one gets screwed over or is actually paying for more in shipping than what it would cost to buy the game, then it's just not a good idea. Which of course would never happen, because no one's going to be spending money on something like this. The only way it would really "work", is if you're simply giving away games and hoping that they pay it forward. Which very few would. In the long run, it's honestly just cheaper and easier to just sell the games you're done with and buy the ones you want. The cost should round out to be roughly the same as if you were trading like this anyway.

Edited by ExHaseo