Have these games aged well?

Beyondthegrave07

I've been thinking about trying out this series and was wondering a couple of things:

First off, has these games aged well? Are the controls difficult or cumbersome or did the game feel super outdated in any way (other than the graphics)?

Secondly, should I start with the first game I suppose? Not sure if there's a preferred order...

Thanks for any responses! ✌️

I've enjoyed my time with them. The controls take a little bit of getting used to, I suggest mucking around with the settings and see what works. I believe it was the 3rd of 4th entry where they completely changed the controls so I had to get used to it again but they are straight forward platinums, mostly just complete the level and you get the platinum reward. I dont think it matters if you start from the first one story wise. The characters are basically the same and the story is told in a similar way as the James bond films so it won't matter if you've seen or played them in any order.

• Like 2

Not particularly? The controls are clunky as hell. Graphics are what you'd expect, but I don't find that a huge issue. Voice acting is also ps1 standard. If you've never played them before, I don't know how much you'll appreciate them. I played the first 2 back on ps1, so nostalgia goes a long way, but I can still acknowledge significant shortcomings from a modern standard.

Edit: As far as order, definitely start with the first one. The original trilogy is basically a complete story arc, and then you can devide if you're willing to play psp ports, with all their specific control related issues.

Edited by Moridin83
  • Like 2

I played the first game. As someone who never played the originals and has no nostalgia goggles... it was.pretty awful.

Can't speak to any of the other games in the series, but the first one felt terrible and cumbersome to play. Very cringy voice acting as well, worse than the infamous "Master of unlocking", but at least that was humorous. This wasn't, it was just bad.

• Like 2

I onIy played the first and the psp ones (Dark Mirror and playing Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow now). The psp ones aged very well. 

Didn't liked the second one. Played it weeks later after the first one. Maybe I will go back after the Logan's Shadow and enjoy it more. The controls on psp were great l1 to aim r1 to shoot and Switched l3 and r3 in the accessibility Mode of the ps5 and it's more enjoyable.

In the ingame settings it was   "Advanced free aim" or something like that. 

Ps1 looks very outdated. The psp ones Look crispy. Story is 0815 and okay but some dialogues of the enemys are hilarious.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

No they didn't age well. Actually almost none of the 3D games of 5th generation aged well imo.

If you don't have any nostalgic attachment I'd recommend to stay away. Graphics, voice acting and controls suck big time (I know it is a 20 year old game, but an enjoyable game has nothing to do with age - I still enjoy playing famicom/super famicom classics. But 5th gen consoles, especially psone was stuck with the undeveloped 3d concept).

I left a youtube link below to show great games on psone which really aged well:

• Like 1