How long until the servers go down?

Dreakon139

This could go in the PS3 General section, but I'm kind of curious in peoples thoughts on this for any next-gen console... not just the PS3.

When the next generation (Xbox 720, PS4, etc) comes out, how long will it be until we see the PS3 and Xbox 360 online functionality go away? Do you think as long as the Playstation Network or Xbox Live exist (assuming they do on future consoles), any console that uses them will have access foreverdy ever? Will it take a few generations before the PS3 and Xbox 360 are shut down for good?

It's interesting because this is the first generation to really focus almost everything around it's online components... so we haven't really seen what happens when they get obsolete yet.

I doubt the shut down would be anytime soon. You can still access the PS2 and Xbox online networks for gaming. Not as many options are available, but 5 years after initial release of the "next gen" consoles, they are still open. I would assume the same will happen with the current generation.

Are they? I wasn't aware anyone actually used the PS2 online. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

As long as the system is sold new in stores, the online support, at least for 1st party games, will remain. When you can't get a PS2 in Wal-Mart, expect that network to finally end. The same will happen for the PS3. Sony likes to extend the lifespan of their models. Microsoft, on the other hand, hasn't show a history of that. When the 360 hit stores, all X-Box support was dead within 6 months, if not almost instantly.