Can I 100% this using the Ultimate Edition?

ItsAlwaysSunnyyy

I keep reading about slowdowns, save files getting too large, etc. I'm very interested in 100%ing this game but I've never played it before - I've seen other posts saying to do two runs, is this recommended? Or can I just restart the game every hour or so and get it done in one go? 

I've never played the game before so if you're suggesting two runs - how would you do this/where make the saves etc?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

You can 100% this game with the Ultimate Edition BUT the framerate and overall stability is utter garbage and goes downhill fast after hitting the 8mb save file danger zone, therefore it's recommended you keep a separate save just for the DLCs, then reload it once you have all the trophies in a given DLC - rinse and repeat until you have all of them Reloading ever 30mins to 1hr is also recommended.

Thank you! So basically get to what I'm assuming is a point of no return in there main game and save, beat it, reload, DLC1, reload, DLC2, etc? Is there an optimal place where people do this?

Just now, ItsAlwaysSunnyyy said:

Thank you! So basically get to what I'm assuming is a point of no return in there main game and save, beat it, reload, DLC1, reload, DLC2, etc? Is there an optimal place where people do this?

The Point of No Return is right at the end of the game and creates an auto-save for you to reload but the game may already be too unstable by that point so make a manual save a lot earlier than that, preferably at the point where you neutralise your standing with all the factions on the Vegas Strip. I also recommend using one of the unfixed XP glitches to hit max rank early.

I finished this recently and had a negative experience. I used the Ultimate Edition disc on PS3. I completed 2/4 DLCs before needing to load an earlier save from earlier in the game. I think, as long as you keep backup saves, because the game will become unplayable at high levels / big save files. I found it hard not to let the performance issues impact the experience but I hope you have a better time. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Ultimate edition is hit or miss. My current second clean up run right not just hit 7000mb and my chance for crashes or slows is in fact slowly increase. But with that said I find that it only gets unbearable with large groups of enemies. I've already completed 2/4 DLCs and about to finish OWB in the next day or two. So I probably wont get to do Lonesome road as a continuation of this save but on a prior iteration of it.

Is PS3 edition as bad a everyone says it is? Maybe, I also just might have a high tolerance of PS3 game BS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RGE-LostProphet said:

The Ultimate edition is hit or miss. My current second clean up run right not just hit 7000mb and my chance for crashes or slows is in fact slowly increase. But with that said I find that it only gets unbearable with large groups of enemies. I've already completed 2/4 DLCs and about to finish OWB in the next day or two. So I probably wont get to do Lonesome road as a continuation of this save but on a prior iteration of it.

Is PS3 edition as bad a everyone says it is? Maybe, I also just might have a high tolerance of PS3 game BS.

A lot of it depends on how much exploring you do, how much stuff you pick up and if you have a thing for energy weapons, because all of those will drastically decrease the overall stability of the game and increase the amount of crashes/freezes you experience :(. The cache clear code helps a little bit but it's nowhere near as effective in New Vegas as it is in Fallout 3 and Skyrim :(.

11 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

A lot of it depends on how much exploring you do, how much stuff you pick up and if you have a thing for energy weapons, because all of those will drastically decrease the overall stability of the game and increase the amount of crashes/freezes you experience :(. The cache clear code helps a little bit but it's nowhere near as effective in New Vegas as it is in Fallout 3 and Skyrim :(.

What is the cache clear code?

You can do everything on one save file, I did just that. 

I only did the necessary quests/exploration, didn’t use energy weapons and only used manual saves (autosave disabled). 
I recommend doing Lonesome Road and Hones Hearts first, since those areas are rough with a large save file.

You can make a Master Save after finishing the DLC and taking Factions as far as they can go before having to choose one.

If you don’t care about spoilers you can use this guide to get there:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/959557-fallout-new-vegas/60786708

My save file was a little over 9MB by the time I was done with everything. 
The Dam does freeze a lot.

P.S: I’m not saying this is the best way to do it, the game will still freeze and you probably will lose a bit of progress here and there.

These are the worst versions of Fallout 3/New Vegas you can play.

Edited by Bratinov
  • Like 2

Reading this thread makes me appreciate the experience I had of this game on Xbox 360 back in the day. I'd love to have a New Vegas platinum but the PS3 version just sounds awful. I watched someone play Fallout 3 on PS3 for like an hour and even that was bad. 

Edited by AlonMercer

• 1 month later...

Yes you can 

however i recommend playing first run the base game getting all trophies and enjoy the story

Then delete all save files and create a new one. 

Do the xp glitch at the beginning town to hit 30 or max level.

Do a save file which you have not to override it 

complete first dlc and load the save file. Complete dlc one buy one 

all this to avoid performance issues 

• Like 1

It is not the ultimate edition, so no.

(tested it just in case)

e:

You could use it to get all the base trophies and then finish up the DLC ones with the ultimate edition on an actual ps3, supposedly the base version runs a bit better.

Edited by KirbyLlama