I never played a Final Fantasy game before...

Finozzi1696

Yes you do need to play another FF before because X is one of my least favourites :lol: Start with 4, 5 and 6 (6 being the best in the series)

Also yes X and X-2 and XIII, XIII-2 and XIII-3 are sequels of each other. Also Crisis Core, VII and Dirge of Cerebus are all sequels (prequels) as well.

Each numbered Final Fantasy sequel is its own self contained story with no connection whatsoever to any of the other games. You can pick up any out of the series and be able to follow along no problem. The only real connection are certain themes and gameplay elements. The only exception to that rule is that direct sequels to a numbered sequel will either have a dash after the number followed by another number, or will have the number of the original sequel in it as a byline. For example, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII, but Final Fantasy XIV has no connection to XIII. Final Fantasy X-2 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy X, but Final Fantasy XI has no connection to it. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, and Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy VII.

That helped me a lot, thank you very much! So in a way it's like the Tales of series, am I right?

Yes you do need to play another FF before because X is one of my least favourites :lol: Start with 4, 5 and 6 (6 being the best in the series)

Also yes X and X-2 and XIII, XIII-2 and XIII-3 are sequels of each other. Also Crisis Core, VII and Dirge of Cerebus are all sequels (prequels) as well.

I will keep that in mind, thanks! ;)

It was only 8 years earlier :shakefist:

"Only" he says. :P Entire game systems have risen and fallen in the span of 8 years.

Fun fact: Final Fantasy was named so, because Square expected it to be the last game they ever made. Their last hurrah so to speak. I'm not even sure I know what Square made before Final Fantasy.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

Final Fantasy X is classic turned based combat system. So if you like those kinds of games, you'll enjoy FFX.

Then, if you do like FFX, you can go back and play some of the other good ones, like Dr_Mayus said. Also, if you do enjoy classic turn based combat, stay away from FFXIII and it's sequels.

• Like 1

"Only" he says. :P Entire game systems have risen and fallen in the span of 8 years.

Fun fact: Final Fantasy was named so, because Square expected it to be the last game they ever made. Their last hurrah so to speak. I'm not even sure I know what Square made before Final Fantasy.

:P

I looked them up and of course they did Rad Racer (I knew that one) but they also did an Aliens game for the MSX based off the movie. That could be worth checking out if you can find an emulator

FFX is probably one of the best to start on since it's classic turn based action unlike XIII where the battle system is a little different. The characters are great and if you really like X you can carry on with X-2 so you won't have to say goodbye to Tidus and Yuna for a while!

The story is great and definitely one of the best of the franchise (my other favourites are VI, VII and XIII) and since they're all different everyone has their personal favourites as they're all unrelated. If you like Ni no Kuni and Tales you should definitely enjoy at least one of the final fantasy games, if not all of them! :D

Edited by talithacs

Final Fantasy was around long before Tales has been, so it'd be more correct to say that Tales is like Final Fantasy. :P

Yeah I know that, but like I said I never played a FF game before so I was just comparing them.

Final Fantasy X is classic turned based combat system. So if you like those kinds of games, you'll enjoy FFX.

Then, if you do like FFX, you can go back and play some of the other good ones, like Dr_Mayus said. Also, if you do enjoy classic turn based combat, stay away from FFXIII and it's sequels.

I liked Tales of Symphonia because you can move freely during battles, but maybe I will like this combat system too, thanks.

FFX is probably one of the best to start on since it's classic turn based action unlike XIII where the battle system is a little different. The characters are great and if you really like X you can carry on with X-2 so you won't have to say goodbye to Tidus and Yuna for a while!

The story is great and definitely one of the best of the franchise (my other favourites are VI, VII and XIII) and since they're all different everyone has their personal favourites as they're all unrelated. If you like Ni no Kuni and Tales you should definitely enjoy at least one of the final fantasy games, if not all of them! :D

Thank you! I'm glad that I don't need to play all the other games just to understand the story, but I will probably play them all.

• Like 1

There really isn't much continuity between the games of the main series. If it ever has a "- 2" in its title or the title of a previously released FF game followed by a " : " then its directly associated with that specific FF story. 

The only thing that you may be missing out on is the significance of the reaccuring themes that are synonymous with the series, such as: chocobos, mogs, pheonix downs, certain abilities/weapons associated with job classes, and the name Cid.

Edited by merciful84

Go for Final Fantasy 1 (Final Fantasy Origins on the PS Store). Now that's a classic.

As others have said you're pretty much fine with getting any of them and playing it as they're not connected unless there's a -2 after the Roman numeral.

Edited by BooneJusticius

I love the music of FFX, was quite a fresh premise for Final Fantasy too, though the main story is a bit short but I'm in the endgame at the moment and although it is a bit of a grind getting the sphere grid trophies; you see constant progression and improvement (due to massive stats) which is keeping it awesome for now :)