How "real" do you want games to be?

Mr_Freaker

As real as it can be, but also knowing its not real. I was watching a trailer for a new TV series called 3 Body Problem, and there was a scene that showed a very advance vr thing, you wear it and it seems to instantly transport you to a new world. Im very excited for the future but I doubt I will see it in my lifetime. Check out the show!!

Edited by Fing3rButt3r3

I feel like the getaway games were onto something with their graphics. Like at the time you could be tricked into thinking it was real life. I don't know what technique the developers used but I am impressed. I think only The Order: 1886 and the matrix demo have given me a similar feeling since. I'm not sure what it is but there's like a visual trick

I think the focus on making games as realistic as possible has negatively impacted those games. I think Starfield devs said they made the universe empty because it was realistic. And there are lots of other examples, where I think games suffer because of a fixation on realism.

On the other hand, there are amazing games that are amazing because of their realism. RDR2 is one of the best games I have ever played, their world is grounded in realism, and it just works well.  So I guess it really does come down to the game.