Your IP has been blocked temporarily due to too many update requests

Since you were using your landline, and you were blocked, it means you were updating too much. It's as simple as that. You'll be unblocked once the system is updated.

There's a fine line between updating when you want to and abuse. You've crossed that line and updated enough to put a strain on the system, and therefore you were blocked. I imagine it's because you've been updating more than 100 times per week, which is pretty unnecessary. It's not like you get a prize for updating every time you get a trophy or that your stats are going to be higher just because you update more. So, just try not update so much. It's not like anyone is constantly monitoring your profile to see if you got a new trophy.

What I do is, I update when I switch games or at the end of a session. So, sometimes that's every 20min or so, sometimes that's every few hours. Your stats are going to be the same no matter how often you update, and if you do switch games and want to update a couple times an hour to reflect the progress, or if you get an awesome UR trophy and want to update to show it off, then you can. But seriously, there's no reason to update after every trophy. If anything, it's hurting you, because you have to take the time to stop playing and upload to Sony's servers then update your account.

1) If you read my earlier posts, you'd see that I have not changed my updating behaviour. I'm not updating significantly any more or any less than before.

2) You're not seriously insinuating that I believe there is a benefit to me for constantly updating do you? Seriously? 

3) Again to you and others, if it is advertised as an update available every minute, it is not nowhere near 'abuse' if I choose to update 100 times a week. I don't really think people understand the concept of this word. 

4) I and anyone else SHOULD NOT have to (note the caps) justify how much or how little I update my profile on a website that allows me to update as often as I like (within the parameters; in this case once a minute) through the benefits of a Premium membership. 

1) If you read my earlier posts, you'd see that I have not changed my updating behaviour. I'm not updating significantly any more or any less than before.

2) You're not seriously insinuating that I believe there is a benefit to me for constantly updating do you? Seriously?

3) Again to you and others, if it is advertised as an update available every minute, it is not nowhere near 'abuse' if I choose to update 100 times a week. I don't really think people understand the concept of this word.

4) I and anyone else SHOULD NOT have to (note the caps) justify how much or how little I update my profile on a website that allows me to update as often as I like (within the parameters; in this case once a minute) through the benefits of a Premium membership.

I agree that you have premium and it terms you can update your account multiple times, but doing it 40+ times or even 30+ times per hour is an abuse of the system. The site transmits data to and from the Sony servers, plus you're not the only one who updates your profile everyday. Thousands of profiles get updated per day, and if a huge percentage of those updates is for your account, your IP might get blocked. Thats the only reason I can think of right now :hmm: Edited by IntenseFATE98

I agree that you have premium and it terms you can update your account multiple times, but doing it 40+ times or even 30+ times per hour is an abuse of the system. The site transmits data to and from the Sony servers, plus you're not the only one who updates your profile everyday. Thousands of profiles get updated per day, and if a huge percentage of those updates is for your account, your IP might get blocked. Thats the only reason I can think of right now :hmm:

Wellllll. If we take my 102 maximum trophies a week. It's highly unlikely that even if I update 102 times a day, it wouldn't be anywhere near a high percentage for my IP anyways. 

But let's be conservative and say that at my peak I'm getting maybe up to 8 trophies an hour. That's 8 updates an hour. That's an update every 8 minutes. 

Again people I stress, I don't believe this is because I'm updating 'too much' or I'm 'abusing' the system. Nothing has changed from before. 

I think it's an anomaly and until Sly can tell us something, please, no one give me tips about how to update. I'm a grown man, people rely on me for their Psychological well-being. I can handle it. 

Edited by Vigawla

1) Supposedly. An automated system isn't biased. If there wasn't a change in updating habits, it could be just now banning you because you consistently updated too much, and the system gives you a certain number of chances to make sure you're really abusing, or if it's just that week/month/whatever that you were updating a lot.

2) I thought I made it clear that I thought you believed updating held some kind of extra benefit. Otherwise, why would you be doing it so much? You obviously think you're getting something out updating so much.

3) It obviously is abuse if the automated system that was setup to keep abuse down blocked you. We're trying to help you understand this, because you apparently don't really understand the concept of the word.

4) Just because you paid $10 once doesn't entitle you to put an unnecessary amount of stress on the servers. That's like saying that because you went to a restaurant and paid for a meal you can throw the plate through a window and not be expected to pay for the window.

1) Supposedly. An automated system isn't biased. If there wasn't a change in updating habits, it could be just now banning you because you consistently updated too much, and the system gives you a certain number of chances to make sure you're really abusing, or if it's just that week/month/whatever that you were updating a lot.

2) I thought I made it clear that I thought you believed updating held some kind of extra benefit. Otherwise, why would you be doing it so much? You obviously think you're getting something out updating so much.

3) It obviously is abuse if the automated system that was setup to keep abuse down blocked you. We're trying to help you understand this, because you apparently don't really understand the concept of the word.

4) Just because you paid $10 once doesn't entitle you to put an unnecessary amount of stress on the servers. That's like saying that because you went to a restaurant and paid for a meal you can throw the plate through a window and not be expected to pay for the window.

Well said B) As for the OP, all I can say now is wait for Sly to reply.

Here we go.

1) Let's suppose that's true. That means that because I've updated a maximum of 102 times a week, I've somehow...accrued a number of chances over the course of months that have been struck and now I'm rightfully blocked? For a site with a membership that advertises one update available every minute? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds? 

2) People don't have to do things because there is an innate benefit. You update your profile just as I do. The reasons you give for updating may be the same as mine. But please, tell me more about how you update your profile rationally. Again, I don't have to justify why I update as much as I do. But here's one reason, when I'm rushing through a game's trophies, I'll constantly update and then rely solely on the trophy advisor's list of unearned trophies. But I'm sure you'll reply and tell me all about the myriad of ways I could keep track of unearned trophies. 

3) This again relates to number 1). You basically said in your initial post 'You have done x, the consequence is Y. Thus Z' with no regard to my unique situation. Congratulations again. I'm going to lose a few more IQ points to say this, but even if I updated every minute and this was not allowable, it is not 'abuse'. Either it's false advertising (which I don't believe it is), a very questionable practice of data efficiency (which I don't believe it is) or something has just gone wrong. 

4) Oh wow, great analogy. Just hands down the best analogy I've heard today. /facepalm

If the Premium membership is advertised as an update every 60 seconds, you're telling me that I'm putting an unnecessary amount of stress on the servers by updating every 60 seconds? And that I'm somehow incurring a 'loss' on behalf of the website? Are you telling me that I'm not entitled to the advertised benefits? 

Having said all this, I believe this is an anomaly. But please, post again and tell me how I'm throwing my meal through Sly's window again. 

• Like 1

youre missing the bloody point here, if every premium user updated their profile every 10 minutes, the servers would go down as quick as a candle in a storm. to prevent the unnecessary strain overactive IPs are blocked. Why do you continuously bring up the terms of premium is beyond me...

youre missing the bloody point here, if every premium user updated their profile every 10 minutes, the servers would go down as quick as a candle in a storm. to prevent the unnecessary strain overactive IPs are blocked. Why do you continuously bring up the terms of premium is beyond me...

To paraphrase, you're missing the bloody point here as well. 

Why was it that previously when I acquired 4 platinums within a few days, there were no issues? Why have I been trotting along for months with no issues? 

Again, you're missing the bloody point. Why would it be advertised as a Premium membership with benefits when those benefits come with an unspoken agreement that you shouldn't update actively? Are you serious? Again, this combined with the previous point alludes me to believe that something is wrong. 

Before anyone wishes to tell me I update too much again, are you definitively telling me that Sly is selling a service that blocks people who update too much? A service with an advertised update every 60 seconds? I take from my previous post; tell me is it either; 

a) false advertising,

b ) a practice of data efficiency that undermines the consumer's rights

or c) that something is simply wrong. Which is what I'm trying to say.

Please take your pick. 

Edited by Vigawla

premium allows for everyone to update your account every minute, the whole point of this is not having to wait to update after someone else updated your account. i dont see anything about unlimited updates per day from one IP, do you?

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/3817-premium-upgrades-399year-or-999-for-life/

"You'll also be able to update the profile as often as you like". 

aaaaand once more for effect.

And! For all those playing at home. My profile has just begun updating itself. The message is still there though.

So for all those who were saying I updated way too much and the servers couldn't handle it. What's the reasoning now?  :yay: I'm all ears at the moment. Please, one at a time. 

If the ability to update every 60sec is advertised as a benefit of being a premium member then you should be able to update every 60sec if you want. If he's banned for updating often (he's not even close to 60sec by what i'm reading), then that would be a breach of their agreement. Pretty straight forwards really. If "60sec updates" strain the system then they should change the time limit of updates to 15min or 1hr etc. Following on the wonderful restaurant analogy someone posted earlier, if Sly owned an all you can eat buffet and kicked me out because I wanted a 3rd bowl of his delicious soup, I'd call my solicitor.

• Like 2

1.) People who keep telling members to PM Sly, need to stop.  This is what the Feedback, Suggestions and Bugs forum is for.

2.) There are a number of reasons that the IP can get blocked.  If you don't have a static IP, and most of us dont, it could be possible that a range has been blocked and your latest IP falls in that range, it could be abuse.  especially if you are updating many profiles and not just your own.  I'm sure Sly will determine the case when he looks at the thread.

3.) Cocky attitudes are counter productive to people who want help as well as by people providing help.

4.) Thread locked.  Sly will answer when he sees it.

• Like 1