The guide is incorrect

coudicini

I can’t believe this hasn’t been addressed.  The description for Sounds of the Battlefield is wrong.  You absolutely need IPod tracks with a password unlike the very first sentence of the description.   I have to do 2 extra playthroughs because of incorrect information 

Edited by coudicini
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coudicini said:

I can’t believe this hasn’t been addressed.  The description for Sounds of the Battlefield is wrong.  You absolutely need IPod tracks with a password unlike the very first sentence of the description.   I have to do 2 extra playthroughs because of incorrect information 

Are you sure? I used the same guide in 2019 and had no problems with this trophy.

• Like 2

Just now, giinha said:

Are you sure? I used the same guide in 2019 and had no problems with this trophy.

I think he's mixing up the password songs that can ONLY be obtained via password (+the one obtainable either via online match or password) with the ones you can obtain from Otacon's lab computer. As that's also a password.

While the wording in the guide doesn't separate that there are two different situations with passwords (Extras menu and Otacon's Lab), I still don't get why one wouldn't get them just-in-case during one of the several playthroughs, considering they're still in the list of tracks in the guide. 

• Like 2

Yes I mixed them up, because the guide told me to disregard all tracks with a password.    

With all of the collectibles I had to worry about, if the description said I didn’t have to worry about the password IPod tracks, then I didn’t worry about them.      

Every guide has a responsibility to point out when the trophy description is incorrect and every guide does that except for this one.   

Over a decade like this is even more unacceptable.   

I had to do 10 playthroughs and that sucks. 

• Confused 1

There's extra screen menu after completing game for the first time. You can use this extra menu screen to unlock iPod tracks, face camo and weapons by inputting passwords. These iPod tracks unlocked by this method are NOT required for trophy. That being said, the password iPod tracks that you can unlock by using Otacon's computer in Act 4 are required for this trophy and this information is included in the guide: (iPod track #25 & #26 in the guide). Blame Konami for missleading/vague trophy description for this trophy, since guide author has no control over this.

Altair Costume aottrykmyn
Drebin Facecamo dntkkhktmm
Type 17 Pistol jmsotsynrn
Unlock Mk. 23 handgun (SOCOM from MGS1) mekakorkkk
Unlocks "Desperate Chase" iPod Song thomas
Unlocks "Gekko" iPod Song george
Unlocks "Midnight Shadow" iPod Song theodore
Unlocks "Mobs Alive" iPod Song abraham
Unlocks "Mosin Nagant" mnsoymsyhn
Unlocks "Subsistence Action" iPod Song mgo2play
Unlocks 1911 Pistol 1aytmmymhk
Unlocks Patriot pkhhnwhsjt
Unlocks Scanning Plug S skynytktjp
Unlocks the Desert Eagle Long Barrel deskyhstyl
Unlocks Thor .45-70 tshsniammr

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/926596-metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/cheats

• Like 1

I'm not sure ZOLANTON can do something about it since his "name" was stripped from the guide.

If the trophy description is wrong then it's Konami's fault, not his, but I don't see the error here. It says "excluding tracks obtained via password", and this is correct. At least when I did this years ago following the guide I had no problems.

Plus, why is that you had to do extra playthroughs? If you missed a track, it's a you problem and if you missed one obtained via password, wouldn't you just need to insert password instead of doing another playthrough?

I finished my 8 playthroughs and expected the trophy to pop when I got the Snake Eater IPod track.  

You enter a password for both Otacon Ipod tracks in Act 4, and the author

REPEATS the incorrect trophy

description in his guide instead of pointing out that it’s incorrect.    

That you can exclude collecting IPod tracks with passwords, so I just skipped that Otacon cut scene every time.  

Since you can only enter one Otacon password per playthrough and only during Act 4, you have to play up to that point in the game 2 more times if you didn’t get them.   

I’m sorry, it was partially my fault.  
But just one sentence,

“The 2 tracks you get from Otacon in Act 4 do count for Sounds of the Battlefield; all other password IPod tracks can be ignored”.  

Would have saved me 4 hours.