Sony Not Focusing On Exclusive AAA PS Vita Games

HowIPendragon

So if it's an AAA title it's most be good by default? and if it's an indie game, it's bad by default? wrong! what the hell....

Well then, let's compare:

Battlefield 4: big AAA title right? oh, but you can't play this game becasue it's broken.

COD G: big AAA title, but boring as hell.

even GTA V: was pretty awesome at the start, but got boring later.

On the other hand:

i had a blast with Guacamelee, an indie game.

Limbo was a fantastic experience

and i'm sure there is a lot more

What the hell is wrong with you?

TBH i couldn't care any less about these so called AAA titles on vita. If we get them? Great, more for people to play, but thats really it for me. 

This mentality a lot of gamers have where its "AAA or go home" is pretty closed minded, I feel. I recognize that AAA games are a necessity to push consoles, but I think that there being so many big budget games has dampened a lot of people's ability to enjoy mid-tier experiences. Hell, on the internet there are so many times I see the term "indie game" looked down upon as a negative thing, which is disappointing.

• Like 3

Well that is unfortunate. While I think the Vita has some absolutely amazing games, Sony really needs to focus some of their attention to the device and deliver even more great experiences that you won't be able to get on your PS3 or PS4. If people have the option to play a game on the PS4, PS3 or Vita, more often than not people are going to choose the bigger version. 

Ah well, here is to hoping we see even more awesome exclusive Vita games in the near future. 

Parker

I'm the minority here. I'd rather play guacamelee! or rayman on vita rather than the big screen versions. Although I did like using the vita as a controller for the ps3 since the map showed up on the vita screen for guacamelee! . Maybe its just because I play my vita during down time at work and cant haul my ps3 to work. Either way its kinda sad that they aren't focusing too hard on the vita. I'm still upset that we may never see light of day for the once promised Bioshock Vita either.

• Like 2

Eh, I didn't buy my vita for "AAA" games anyway. Mainly got it for RPG's and imports although If I have the choice of PS3 or vita I'll choose vita because lots of downtime at work to play. PS4 pretty much took over PS3 for my home console anyway.

• Like 1

PSP had a life of 7 years, and that's pretty good for what I consider a first gen modern handheld console. Vita is roughly two years in. I think as long as the Vita doesn't lose money, Sony will keep it around and I'm totally okay with that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was around for 10 years. I only have around 20 games for my Vita, three memory cards, extra charger, dock and a trigger grip.

I'm really happy with what Sony has done with the Vita and while I would love more developers to release games for it, I don't give a crap if they're "AAA" (such a myopic and subjective description) titles or not.

Any developer who says they pick developing for a cellular phone over a handheld console for whatever reason they give loses credibility for me. I doubt there was ever a consideration. The gaming experience on a Vita trumps any cellular phone by miles. I'm patient, I can wait. I'm not giving up on the Vita. In fact, I'm still picking up titles for PSP. 

• Like 1

This is not something based on solid facts, it's just a theory/opinion.

I don't think Sony really should focus on PSVita right now, i mean, sure it's an important part of their stuff, but tell me, what's the main protable gaming device a Vita or a 3DS?

Instead they should focus on making the PS4 (and what's left of the PS3) better, it's their main gaming market after all and with Steam (and a bit of microsoft)(actually scratch that, those guys digged their graves worldwide with the obrigatory kinect) on the loose they sure have problems to deal with.

What i was thinking:

Now that GoW is "over", they could put Santa Monica on the job, after all, they didn't do any GoW for the Vita so they should take the oportunity to explore it a bit (and before you say, we want good games not exploration: Exploration is a support skill that improves the chances of a future critical success by a considerable amounth), conisdering they made solid PSP games i think they can handle it.

Well remember this is nothing based on SOLID facts, just ideas.

i think we may be misunderstanding what a AAA title is, a game doesnt have to be made by a huge developer or publisher in order for it to be a AAA title, things to consider is how sucessful the game is financially, any thing innovative that the game brings to the community, and how well the game reviews against critics.

so essentially a indie title can be considered AAA but what sony is saying is that theyre not interested in producing that quality of games for a system they made but will rather let others do it

This is not something based on solid facts, it's just a theory/opinion.

I don't think Sony really should focus on PSVita right now, i mean, sure it's an important part of their stuff, but tell me, what's the main protable gaming device a Vita or a 3DS?

Instead they should focus on making the PS4 (and what's left of the PS3) better, it's their main gaming market after all and with Steam (and a bit of microsoft)(actually scratch that, those guys digged their graves worldwide with the obrigatory kinect) on the loose they sure have problems to deal with.

What i was thinking:

Now that GoW is "over", they could put Santa Monica on the job, after all, they didn't do any GoW for the Vita so they should take the oportunity to explore it a bit (and before you say, we want good games not exploration: Exploration is a support skill that improves the chances of a future critical success by a considerable amounth), conisdering they made solid PSP games i think they can handle it.

Well remember this is nothing based on SOLID facts, just ideas.

But SM probably doing GOW for the PS4.. or not?

Agreeing with a lot of people here, just because a game is AAA doesn't mean it's a must-buy. I only wanted to buy certain AAA titles for the story, gameplay, or even if it just looks like a game that I want to play. Hell, I got a Vita so I could play the Hyperdimension Neptunia remakes (when they come out), Persona 4 Golden, and Danganronpa. All of these games are not AAA at all, yet I still want to play them.

You shouldn't be getting a game because it's popular to the mainstream audience. You should be getting games that you personally want to play.

So if it's an AAA title it's most be good by default? and if it's an indie game, it's bad by default? wrong! what the hell....

Well then, let's compare:

Battlefield 4: big AAA title right? oh, but you can't play this game becasue it's broken.

COD G: big AAA title, but boring as hell.

even GTA V: was pretty awesome at the start, but got boring later.

On the other hand:

i had a blast with Guacamelee, an indie game.

Limbo was a fantastic experience

and i'm sure there is a lot more

What the hell is wrong with you?

Way to jump to conclusions  :blink:

I said on my original post that the Vita has some great games. I never said "indie games = bad"

But if what this guy said reflects Sony's future plans for the Vita then its a bit troubling because it looks like they are trying to sell it primarily as an accessory to your PS3 or PS4, and not as a standalone console. Almost like they're making it into their own version of the Wii U Gamepad first and as a portable console second.

I know this doesn't mean they are quitting on the Vita entirely, but it makes them look like they aren't willing to put as much money/work behind it anymore.

And all the things about those games you listed are just your own opinions. I agree GTA V gets very boring, but obviously many people still find it enjoyable, its been in the top-played games list on this site since it was released. And the 3 games you listed tend to have much higher replay value than single player platformers like Limbo and Guacamelee because of their online modes.

Like it or not, decent (or even terrible) AAA games from big franchises like GTA or Bioshock would probably help the Vita sell a lot more units.

Edited by rsoto1125

I don't like this one. single. bit. I will be really upset if we get no more 1st party AAA exclusives. I get that they can't support the system the same way they do home-consoles such as the PS4, but if we don't get anymore exclusives I literally will be irate. I've been patient, but that would be unacceptable.

Seeing that AAA title's are usually a stigma for shoddy overproduced games (black ops declassified, shudder) I'm fine with this.

Just about every game I want comes out from Japan anyway and seeing how Japan are huge handheld supporters, I don't think they'll stop making games anytime soon or at least until the next handheld. Although i could ask for more, I'm perfectly content with VN ports and rpg's.

Source: My Japanese vita account sees a lot of use.