Sony Not Focusing On Exclusive AAA PS Vita Games

HowIPendragon

Today the US PlayStation Blog posted an article informing us that the Vita 2000 is now available in America.

A user commented on the lack of big-name AAA-quality titles (like Killzone and Uncharted) on the Vita and received this reply.

"Thanks for your support. As for the big games:

The economics simply don't work with the traditional process. We have to do something different to get AAA games on Vita. We accomplished it to a certain degree by making PS4 games work on Vita via remote play. PS Now will be another way, streaming PS3 games on Vita. I can't wait until PS Now is out on Vita - I hope you'll try out the experience and let me know what you think."

This reply came from the author of the article and Playstation's Director of Product Planning and Platform Software Innovation, Don Mesa.

I wouldn't have been too worried if this came from one of their bloggers but the fact that this came from an actual person working so closely with the PS Vita team is some troubling news for current and potential Vita owners.

From the looks of it, it seems like Sony is not willing to invest much money on making big titles that are exclusively for the Vita.

Now, I'm not posting this because I believe the Vita is lacking in its games library. I think it has some great games. But if this is all Sony has planned for the Vita's future, it doesn't look very promising.

Here's a screencap of the reply.

i.imgur.com/dqpP2RH.jpg

Edited by rsoto1125
  • Like 2

Well that is unfortunate. While I think the Vita has some absolutely amazing games, Sony really needs to focus some of their attention to the device and deliver even more great experiences that you won't be able to get on your PS3 or PS4. If people have the option to play a game on the PS4, PS3 or Vita, more often than not people are going to choose the bigger version. 

Ah well, here is to hoping we see even more awesome exclusive Vita games in the near future. 

Parker

• Like 3

i dont mind that at all...to me vita is more of a indie games and the ocassional AAA...im not paying $50.00 for a COD on the vita, FUCK. THAT. i love my vita because i enjoy simple titles on the go away from home.

Agreed, though I rarely leave my house with it. :P

very disappointing while the games on the rpg and imprort division is picking up neglecting to provide any kind of AAA titles seems like they never intended the vita to be a serious handheld to begin with and while i applaud the success of these indie titles i would rather keep my cell phone for such

Just because Sony isn't planning on making "AAA" games(which an incredibly subjective term anyway), it doesn't mean that there won't be high quality games from other developers. The vast majority of the higher quality games on the system now weren't made by Sony anyway, so it's not like anything is going to change. This just means that they aren't dumping millions of dollars into making Vita games, which is totally fine. I would rather play games like Uncharted on a TV anyway. I love the way the Vita is now with the collection of indie and niche games.

The point is, just because a game isn't considered "AAA" doesn't mean it's a bad game, and just because Sony isn't focusing on "AAA" games doesn't mean there won't be high quality games anymore. This isn't troubling news in the slightest, it's not even really news. It was obvious they stopped putting lots of money into making expensive and high quality Vita games. That's why there hasn't been another Uncharted, or Killzone, or anything like that, and why the only Vita game that's even being worked on right now by Sony is Gravity Rush 2. 

• Like 1

i dont mind that at all...to me vita is more of a indie games and the ocassional AAA...im not paying $50.00 for a COD on the vita, FUCK. THAT. i love my vita because i enjoy simple titles on the go away from home. 

I'm sorry because you can't triple sweg like me on COD. I hope you get better. YOLO

(only joking with you :P).

Edited by Bear

Amen, I got the vita because i saw some of the games for it even though their not triple AAA games, I still wanted to play them so that is why i got a vita

You have to think tho. "Where is there vita developers doing right now?".

Losing money on Vita game development...apparently. There simply isn't the sales volume for Vita software to justify the resources required for AAA game development.

Though I'd like a bigger catalogue of AAA Vita games, I'm quite happy to use it as a PS3 / PS4 supplement with cross-save support.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Losing money on Vita game development...apparently. There simply isn't the sales volume for Vita software to justify the resources required for AAA game development.

Though I'd like a bigger catalogue of AAA Vita games, I'm quite happy to use it as a PS3 / PS4 supplement with cross-save support.

Is this why Golden Abyss 2 has not been announced? I can't believe in 2 years, a console is now deemed as a "sinking ship". Even the Wii U will get a sales boost in this year. 

Edited by Bear

I don't want COD games on it either, but I'd like something more than just indie games.

I can't believe in 2 years, a console is now deemed as a "sinking ship". Even the Wii U will get a sales boost in this year. 

It happens. Dreamcast lasted 2 years and Sega Saturn and Atari Jaguar lasted about 3 in America.

Just shows Vita would be nowhere without the big brother's support, PS3 and now PS4. The console is 2 years old and all we're seeing is Indie games.

Nintendo still top dog when it comes to handheld games

• Like 2

During the week, my Vita definitely sees the most play.

I would like to see more games which are larger in scope, but they don't have to be "AAA".

I thought Guacamelee was perfect on the Vita, and much better than it was on PS3.  More Metroidvania games would be fantastic... IMO.  I haven't tried any of the JRPG games on their yet, and I'm sure I'm missing out... but I have a backlog to work on!

I appreciate what the guy says about the economics just not working.  Personally, I find it irksome to spend console prices on handheld games.  Maybe I've just been spoiled by my past use of mobile games - of which I haven't played a single one since I got my Vita - but the idea of spending >£20 on a handheld game just feels... wrong somehow.  

• Like 1

VirtualBoy--article_image.jpg

July 21st, 1995-March 2nd, 1996

wut_zpsd2330929.jpg

Damn, I didn't know it was that short lived. I'd honestly rather play that instead of the Jaguar. Only thing the Jaguar had going for it were good Wolfenstein, DOOM and AVP ports.

Yes, AAA games would solution to save Vita, but it's also true that they can't focused on that right now. PS4 is booming, there is so much room for it to grow, plus they thought they already fix the Vita but link it to remote control.

Only thing that Vita need is games. I live in Asia and there is so many Japaneses games around here. We get 1 or 2 games in every month, so Vita did much better here.

I wish they could at lease re-localize some games from Japan.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been refusing to use the Remote Play function with my Vita, be it on PS3 or PS4.

If I plan to play a game on either console -- need to play a game on either console, I'm sticking to using the controllers I own for said console.

It just sucks that I've continuously funneled my money into this handheld (just purchased my fourth yesterday), but they keep sidestepping the actual life of it by reminding us of Remote Play.

But whatever -- guess I have no choice but to stick with the occasional ATLUS, NIS, or XSEED release and PS+ freebies. 

*sigh*

• Like 4