Broken PS3 Slim, how to fix?

servus99

Hi there, 

I am having issues with my 2nd ps3 at the moment. Whenever I turn it on, it turns off after 2-3 seconds. I have to unplug the power cable, then turn it on again, the same thing happens. Each time I turn it on again, it stays on for longer.

After doing this ~20 times, it stays on for as long as I want to play (tested, more than 24h with no problem).

Is there any easy fix for this? It is only my 2nd console (I bought it 12 years ago), but it would still be cool to fix this! Like doing a reboot of the system or some specific setting?
Maybe someone else has had similar issues with ps3s in the past...?

Thanks in advance, servus

One of my PS3 have something like this. It can turn off during game,sometimes can run few hours. Some indie games can be played all day without shutting console. Probably big games do this to mother board, but it also sometimes can shutdown when you in main ps3 menu or check game saves/videos/photos on console

• Confused 1

Definitely sounds like a PSU problem that two others have mentioned. You also said this was your 2nd PS3, by chance do you still have the 1st PS3?

If both are the same model and the 1st PS3's PSU still works you can swap the PSU from the 1st PS3 to the 2nd.

Issue disappears, great it was a bad PSU which can be easily replaced. If not then you're looking at the motherboard.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/21/2024 at 5:06 PM, Null_Spectre said:

Definitely sounds like a PSU problem that two others have mentioned. You also said this was your 2nd PS3, by chance do you still have the 1st PS3?

If both are the same model and the 1st PS3's PSU still works you can swap the PSU from the 1st PS3 to the 2nd.

Issue disappears, great it was a bad PSU which can be easily replaced. If not then you're looking at the motherboard.

Hi. I bought new PSU for old PS3 and problem still there. Once you for example start to check psn games installed on PS3 in 1-3 min console shutting down. If it sits on main menu without browsing it can be like this for hours without shutting down

38 minutes ago, pavelbagirov said:

Hi. I bought new PSU for old PS3 and problem still there. Once you for example start to check psn games installed on PS3 in 1-3 min console shutting down. If it sits on main menu without browsing it can be like this for hours without shutting down

To properly diagnose, you would need to read the error code the PS3 spits out off of the SYSCON chip on the motherboard. If it works fine on the dashboard until you try to do anything, it would narrow it down to a power delivery issue. Whether it be the capacitors or something else, it's better to not guess

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

To properly diagnose, you would need to read the error code the PS3 spits out off of the SYSCON chip on the motherboard. If it works fine on the dashboard until you try to do anything, it would narrow it down to a power delivery issue. Whether it be the capacitors or something else, it's better to not guess

The problem is that no one near is working/fixing PS3 anymore and I am not so big expert to fix or understand good inside PS3

i dunno if i can add much more then what others have said but in my experience everytime i had a part going bad it would either work or not work, until it didnt work at all. my blu ray drive i went through 2 and once it would read a disc it would work fine but the other 100 tries it would act like no disc was there and then it just never read the disc again. same with power supply i was getting a red light shutoff until eventually i got no power at all. is your other console a slim as well? if so try swapping the parts and singling out what the problem is. i did that with my friends and found his power supply was bad when i put mine in it worked. 

My OG ps4 did something similar to this, turning off at random

trying to continuously eject discs wether there was one injected in the disc drive or not, i self diagnosed it as a common issue on youtube with a single screw towards the disc tray itself but i had to tweek with it everytime i tried to use it, i inevitably retired it to a empty drawer and took on my ps4 pro more head-on

RIP

tl;dr my post isnt helpful

48 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

My OG ps4 did something similar to this, turning off at random

trying to continuously eject discs wether there was one injected in the disc drive or not…

Same.

I believe my day one (EU; November 29, 2013) PS4 console has been behaving like this occasionally since late 2015…

…and like, if removing its “rubber feet” isn’t a guaranteed solution then what is?

On 1/21/2024 at 6:39 AM, HuntingFever said:

It sounds like the Power Supply is on its way out and needs replacing but it could be something more serious that involves the Motherboard, though I would try a new PSU first and see if that fixes the problem.

Yeah not much else can add that hasn't already been said but from when my second PS3 was acting up, the big original one, it wouldn't even power on so that narrowed down the issue. The culprit was the Power Supply Unit and was lucky enough at the time to get one for very cheap. Hopefully you found some solution or tips within the forum.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2024 at 4:33 AM, melodicmizery said:

i dunno if i can add much more then what others have said but in my experience everytime i had a part going bad it would either work or not work, until it didnt work at all. my blu ray drive i went through 2 and once it would read a disc it would work fine but the other 100 tries it would act like no disc was there and then it just never read the disc again. same with power supply i was getting a red light shutoff until eventually i got no power at all. is your other console a slim as well? if so try swapping the parts and singling out what the problem is. i did that with my friends and found his power supply was bad when i put mine in it worked. 

Here is the video how exactly this happens with console: 

3 minutes ago, pavelbagirov said:

Tried when was very cold and was same and also last month bought new PSU and it’s also same result.

Room temperature won't matter that much, since the CPU runs around 70C. If you've already clean the unit (actually cleaned it, not just blowing canned air in the vents), then my next guess would be a mainboard issue or possibly HDD (though unlikely).

The red light blinking on your PS3 is usually caused by a dirty internal fan or thermal paste too dry to transfer heat. The console over heats because heat can't get out of the console try opening it up and cleaning it but you'll need a torx 9 or 10 screwdriver to do so.

Also replace the thermal paste if you are comfortable doing so or watch YouTube that's how I fixed mine a while back.

Actually, it can be so many things. From my experience here is what it can be:

1. Power Supply is faulty;

2. A component is 'short' in the motherboard;

3. Fan isn't working properly or at all;

If it's number 1, the system usually won't power up at all, but a faulty one can also cause random shutdowns like that. In case of number 2, it can be a trace is corroded or the bluetooth/wi-fi circuit board is causing issues and turns off the system out of nowhere. And in case of number 3, you usually start the system and it takes usually 2 or 3 minutes, like in the video for it to just shutdown because the processor and GPU got hot really fast without the cooling from the fans.

Anyhow, for all these cases you'll only discover what is causing that by opening the console and checking all those things, which can be hard if you don't have any tools to check for shorts on the motherboard or if the power supply is functioning properly, etc.

• Like 1