Don't play this game

Xillynoc

3 minutes ago, Xillynoc said:

Didn't know better at the time, now I do.

I don't doubt your warnings here since I already had a tough time with Rayman Legends.

This one looks much challenging, so I'm eager to experience the same pain as you have when I do start it. 

2 minutes ago, imminent-file5 said:

I don't doubt your warnings here since I already had a tough time with Rayman Legends.

This one looks much challenging, so I'm eager to experience the same pain as you have when I do start it. 

I mean, hey, if you like suffering in your games, I'm not one to stop you - I just want to put this out there since there's still no actual guide for the game (and probably never will be) warning people of the difficulty going in.

6 minutes ago, Xillynoc said:

I mean, hey, if you like suffering in your games, I'm not one to stop you - I just want to put this out there since there's still no actual guide for the game (and probably never will be) warning people of the difficulty going in.

The thread I mentioned is all you need: just copy the videos step by step, read the tips given there, and voilà, easy Ultra Rares. 😛

22 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

The thread I mentioned is all you need: just copy the videos step by step, read the tips given there, and voilà, easy Ultra Rares. 😛

See, I did that...no dice. Not all of us have the perfect reflexes and aim to follow those guides, sad to say. To those who do: happy for you.

3 hours ago, KenjiCBZ said:

This game isn't as easy as just following videos step by step for the maximum score though, I love this videogame and have played it numerous of times, the timing in the combo score is tight and have little wriggle room with making a mistake which can easily happen as the levels are quite long and some aspects depending on RNG 🤷

Edited by ZachBoardyHD
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, ZachBoardyHD said:

This game isn't as easy as just following videos step by step for the maximum score though, I love this videogame and have played it numerous of times, the timing in the combo score is tight and have little wriggle room with making a mistake which can easily happen as the levels are quite long and some aspects depending on RNG 🤷

THANK you!

• Like 1

There's no listed score thresholds for any levels at all - you only know if you've gotten enough points when you reach the end and are given a percentage up to 100%, and if you're below the threshold, you're not told how many points short you are. You just have to retry and hope your attempt is good enough.

We're on the internet. It's not hard to find this out.

Points are determined not only by enemies killed, but by collectables picked up in the levels and how long you take to complete each level. Pretty standard stuff, EXCEPT there's an extremely twisted mechanic linking all of them: a combo system. Basically, you have to collect everything and defeat all the enemies in a specific path through the level with specific timing (to preserve the combo), or you lose your points multiplier and have to start over from scratch. This gets extremely aggravating because the length of time between successful "hits" is an extremely short window, so if you're not as optimal as humanly possible, you're going to lose a lot of points - and in some levels, any loss at all puts you short of 100%.

Well you'll need to practice then. A game isn't bad because you can't complete something that requires skill and familiarity first time.

Most damningly of all, the level select is apparently broken past a certain point of progression, so if you don't get eeeeeeeeverything at 100% before then...you can't go back and redo it later, so instead you have to start over THE ENTIRE GAME.

This is a port of a PS2 game from 2004. You can criticise them for not fixing things like this, but this is far from the first pre-HD era game with a couple of quirks or bugs.

Compounding all this, the game is poorly written (in an apparent attempt to appeal to tweens with a bunch of pop-culture references and annoying characters) and just plain not fun. Skip it, for the sake of your mental health and wrist ligaments - there's so much better (and fairer) out there. 

The writing in the Rayman games is great. 

0/4, do better next time.

• Like 1

I had first played this game when I was under 10 years old and couldnt even beat it without help from my older brother. Was really surprised when I realised that I could get the 100% just by following a guide on youtube. It really isnt that bad with practise, although I know the port isnt without its issues.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, stpatty said:

0/4, do better next time.

No thanks, I'll just skip the sadly atrocious series that is Rayman. I served my nickel, I played all 5 main games and I hate every single one. Don't need your approval for that.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Xillynoc said:

No thanks, I'll just skip the sadly atrocious series that is Rayman. I served my nickel, I played all 5 main games and I hate every single one. Don't need your approval for that.

So what was wrong with origins and legends in your opinion? Those are some of my favorite 2d games I've played.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, muumipappa2009 said:

So what was wrong with origins and legends in your opinion? Those are some of my favorite 2d games I've played.

Origins is just insanely frustrating and RNG-dependent for its platforming. I didn't feel like I was being challenged, I just felt like I got lucky when I finally met the time trial requirements and such, especially with the secret boss. It just wasn't any fun. Plus, the story was...I don't even know how to describe it.

Legends...honestly, in hindsight, the main game is okay and I liked the flair of the musical levels, the playable fairies, the homages to Sam Fisher and so on. However, the grind for level 11 Awesomeness was insane. No platformer should require FOUR MONTHS of grinding to 100% - hell, if they'd given the levels fixed score thresholds for the different trophies (ironic) so everyone could get Diamond with enough practice, that would've been fine, but noooooo, had to make it community-based so every single time, hackers and cheaters would get impossible scores and ruin it for everyone else.

• Confused 3