Watch_Dogs runs at 900p on PS4, 792p on Xbox One

IntenseFATE98

Watch Dogs runs in 900p on PlayStation 4 and 792p on Xbox One, developer Ubisoft confirmed today after rumors of the game's resolution began to escalate earlier this week. Both versions of the game run at 30fps.

Some Xbox One/PS4 games run in 1080p, but Watch Dogs creative director Jonathan Morin told the Ubisoft Blog that he's more concerned with the overall experience rather than the technical minutiae. Plus, Morin said people tend to forget that achieving higher fidelity visuals is easier for corridor shooters than it is for open-world games like Watch Dogs.

"Resolution is a number, just like framerate is a number. All those numbers are valid aspects of making games," Morin said. "But you make choices about the experience you want to deliver. In our case, dynamism is everything. Exploration and expression are everything. You want to have a steady framerate, but you want to have dynamism at the core of the experience. The same goes with resolution."

"People tend to look at corridor shooters, for example, where there's a corridor and all the effects are on and it's unbelievable, and they forget that if you apply those same global effects to an open city with people around and potential car crashes and guys in multiplayer showing up without warning, the same effect is applied to a lot of dynamic elements that are happening in every frame," he added. "So it becomes magnified in cost."

Watch Dogs was originally scheduled to launch back in November 2013, so couldn't Ubisoft have spent the extra six months optimizing the game's resolution? It's possible, but Morin said he was more interested in using that time to polish the game and tune it to a level he hopes fans will enjoy.

"The effort was split on continuing dynamism and making sure players can express themselves through hacking without ever being disappointed in how the game responds to them, whether it's visually or through gameplay," Morin said. "That's important. Resolution has nothing to do with that. That's why stuff like resolution can scale a bit down so that we never compromise the soul of Watch Dogs."

Also in the blog post, Ubisoft explained the specific differences between the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 and Xbox One/PS4 versions of Watch Dogs. On the single-player side, Xbox 360/PS3 players can expect fewer NPCs in some areas, but Morin says this will not affect the core gameplay. For multiplayer, Morin said Xbox 360 and PS3 owners will miss out on the Decryption competitive multiplayer mode and the ability to free roam with multiple players.

Source : Gamespot

Can't wait for this game. I'm still definitely getting it :awesome:

Yeah, I saw that today. Doesn't bother me personally, and same as you, I'm still absolutely getting it for PS4 (preordered :D)

Interestingly, I've seen 2 different sides to the ongoing argument:

1. "Who cares about resolution and framerate? I just want good games!"
  2. "This is NEXT GEN!!! Give me 1080p and 60fps OR ELSE!!!"

I can understand both sides of this... but I lean more towards the 'I just want good games' argument. I can see where the other group is coming from; but it seems a bit petty and self-righteous to say "We deserve this" haha.

WATCH DOGS FTW

Edited by FluffyAssassin64

Yeah, I saw that today. Doesn't bother me personally, and same as you, I'm still absolutely getting it for PS4 (preordered :D)

• "Who cares about resolution and framerate? I just want good games!"
  • "This is NEXT GEN!!! Give me 1080p and 60fps OR ELSE!!!"
Personally, I can understand both sides of this... but I lean more towards the 'I just want good games' argument. I can see where the other group is coming from; but it seems a bit petty and self-righteous to say "We deserve this" haha.

WATCH DOGS FTW

I'm on the "I just want good games" side too :P Ubisoft stated it would take over a hundred hours to finish everything in the game. I really think it will be an awesome game. :awesome:

1. "Who cares about resolution and framerate? I just want good games!"
  2. "This is NEXT GEN!!! Give me 1080p and 60fps OR ELSE!!!"

Personally, I can understand both sides of this... but I lean more towards the 'I just want good games' argument. I can see where the other group is coming from; but it seems a bit petty and self-righteous to say "We deserve this" haha.

WATCH DOGS FTW

I side with option one. Sure a high framerate and resolution is great, but what's the gameplay like? Is it fun? Is the story interesting? These are the questions that matter to me 

I've never really understood why people make such a big deal about these things. While it would be nice if the game ran at 1080P and 60FPS, I'd bet the majority of people wouldn't even notice a difference from 900P and 30FPS. The gameplay is all that really matters (and the game still looks fantastic, graphically) so hopefully people don't get too worked up. 

Parker

I'd prefer it if they both ran at 600p, 60FPS.. but hey what ever, this gen people like to masturbate to resolution.

I couldn't care about the resolution it runs at as long as it runs good and plays well, fps > resolution in my opinion. 

Jesus Christ, the counter performance-circlejerk is even more smothering than the PC MasterRace one.

Yes, having a fun, good game takes priority. But still, it's 2014, and we are also supposed to expect performance.

It's like saying "who cares if a movie has decent special effects or good costumes, the important is that the story is good". No. A good story is important, but the presentation is just as important. Nobody would have cared for the Avengers or the Iron Man movies if the Iron Suit was made of crayon colored cardboard and Thor had a reversed wig on.

"Resolution is a number, just like framerate is a number" must be one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. Resolution is a number, gameplay is a word and level design is a concept. And they all matter.

And if you can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, it's because you never played a 60 fps game. Please, play Battlefield 3 on PS3 and then play Battlefield 4 on PS4, and tell me that you hardly see any difference, and I'll kindly suggest you to get checked. And if you don't see any difference between 720 and 1080, that's probably because you have a smaller TV than a 40".

I still got a PS4 day one, I still have my Dedsec Edition preordered, but seeing people going out of their way to justify what in 2014 are just mediocre performance is sad.

Edited by Dciaran