Mud/Snowrunner is superior

Loved Mud/Snowrunner, in the end couldn't get into Expeditions. I guess it's missing some sense of achievement of hauling actual materials you use to build/repair/operate something rather than just teleport into individual expeditions without much context and explore what are mostly barren regions. Suppose most of it was targeted do dedicated very slow rock crawling and tire pressure management over the logistics through rough terrain aspect.

Sure zip-winching a scout down a vertical cliff is fun but gets old.

That and the constant terrain texture glitching out is driving me nuts.

• Like 2

And I'm still collecting opinions like yours. I haven't played any game in the series. The conclusion for me is that it is better to start playing SR. Watching gameplay videos, Expeditions seems to lack many elements that diversify the game. Towing a damaged truck, transporting construction materials, and generally transporting cargo is a very important element. And the fact that there are also roads on SR maps, etc. Thank you for sharing your impressions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kessarath said:

And I'm still collecting opinions like yours. I haven't played any game in the series. The conclusion for me is that it is better to start playing SR. Watching gameplay videos, Expeditions seems to lack many elements that diversify the game. Towing a damaged truck, transporting construction materials, and generally transporting cargo is a very important element. And the fact that there are also roads on SR maps, etc. Thank you for sharing your impressions.

Start with Mudrunner. It's a bit easier to learn the basics, and Snowrunner has been improved overall, making it more enjoyable overall. It's gonna be tough to play through the better game first, then come back to the less polished entry. 

• Like 1

Yeah, very disappointed. I definitely won't play it anymore past the platinum.

Totally agree with you that they've lost the feeling of hauling something huge and it making a difference to the map. This game could've been done on foot with a backpack. In most missions I think why don't I just get out and walk?
There's no peril, no sense of achievement when you get to your destination, and it's just plain boring. Here's hoping for Snowrunner 2.

I wouldnt say that expeditions is a bad game but i will say its vastly different than mud/snow. That said they said from the get go they were trying something different. I enjoy rock crawling so expeditions scratches that itch without the need to pull/deliver cargo. Im excited to see what will be added to the game.

1 hour ago, HaserPL said:

Start with Mudrunner. It's a bit easier to learn the basics, and Snowrunner has been improved overall, making it more enjoyable overall. It's gonna be tough to play through the better game first, then come back to the less polished entry. 

I played both games quite extensively and I would argue that Mudrunner is superior in many regards – mostly the far better (ground) physics allowed for a challenge Snowrunner never offered due to its limited physics. Also the gearing is far more complex and allows for a real learning curve and skilled driving. Overall Snowrunner offers more content but due to its open world structure in which you can't really fail as long as you spawn new vehicles, it is significantly easier than Mudrunner and therefore  looses a lot of the excitement. 

I enjoyed both but make sure to play those games with a friend or two. Both games are meant to be played via coop. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would argue it all depends on preference. 

I personally really like Expeditions. I feel that in some ways it is better than Snowrunner, and in some ways Snowrunner takes the win.

In reference to the aspects I prefer in Expeditions. It really boils down to the level design. In Snowrunner, you’re almost always in partially civilised locations. With a big workshop, a small settlement or town, obvious roads or dirt tracks..

But expeditions does away with that, and sets you down on a huge open map. With no discernible routes, and says “figure it out”

The maps are wild and untamed, and offer many opportunities for high risk, trail and error. 

I have failed the same mission multiple times because of poor preparation, or just taking silly risks.

The map design allows for multiple routes and many chances to fail spectacularly in each mission. I have been 20 metres from my destination, but still had to drive another 500 metres around rocky outcrops and down precarious hillsides to get to it because the terrain is so crazy.

I will admit, the general progression, and delivery of Snowrunner is more to my liking. But with the latest updates to Expeditions, the game is really coming together nicely, I have not seen any of the graphical issues that were present at launch, and the devs are implementing a lot of quality of life fixes that fans are asking for.

It’s worth remembering Snowrunner is 4 years old this month.. it has had a lot of input from fans, a ton of work put into it, and a crazy amount of excellent dlc added..

I would expect Expeditions to be on par wish Snowrunner in terms of delivery at some point.

But it’s really down to the style of gameplay you want. 
Snowrunmer offers large areas that are part of civilisation.. sometimes remote, there’s usually a pretty obvious route, and you essentially exist in the maps, changing the maps as you progress through the missions.

Expeditions offers a more raw experience. Feeling harder than Snowrunner. There are no roads, there are no fancy garages, or fuel stations. 

You have to fully prepare for your missions, and the routes you take are always risky. It always adds an amount of tension, because as I have seen multiple times, you can prepare perfectly for a mission, and even a few minutes before you complete it, one bad move can throw all that hard work away.

I have genuinely spent about 3 hours straight, meticulously driving across the map with all the equipment I need, extra fuel, a scout vehicle on tow to cannibalise fuel from, and I have still taken a poorly calculated risk close to the end of the mission, failed and had to do it all again.

It is frustrating, but the satisfaction you get from completing a mission after a few failed attempts is something I never got in Snowrunner, because in Snowrunner it always felt like the game wanted you to know where to go, and there was always something close by to help you out.. be it a fuel station, or a garage.