So...how do you do tricks?

Is pressing R1/R2 (Grab) really necessary? Apparently the longer you hold the direction you want, the faster the character runs, I don't know, very confusing tricks in this game, the character easily rolls on the ground, I wanted to learn

33 minutes ago, sweendog_rocks26 said:

How do you do a 540?  What's the best combo to rack up points? So far all I can do is a 360 and I can do the 5 types of grabs although the trophy for that isn't popping for me. 

You can verify if you have actually done 5 unique grabs by watching the end of run replay.

You also have to actually score points for it to count.

7 hours ago, sweendog_rocks26 said:

How do you do a 540?  What's the best combo to rack up points? So far all I can do is a 360 and I can do the 5 types of grabs although the trophy for that isn't popping for me. 

Are you finishing the run? The 5 grabs trophy doesn’t pop until you finish the run. Like others said, I think it has to score for it to count (don’t wipe and it has to be off a ramp that awards points). The easiest course to get this on it probably the extra course, though I was able to do it on novice. 

The best trick to score points is by far the misty flip (holding the d-pad diagonally before a jump). I would combine it with a tail grab and get 700-800 points every time. I think you can combine it with harder grabs for more points but that was enough for me to clear a level usually. 

To land a misty, you have to hold x AND the direction buttons for a few seconds to get a fast enough rotation to land it. The correct timing can be really tricky, but that’s why it’s worth a lot of points

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Could someone explain the trick controls?

So far I have gathered hold X and release X before a jump, but whenever I hit a directional button he barely does anything. I wish they included the game manuals for these.

The longer you hold the buttons before the jump, the quicker you’ll move in the air , also holding square quickens it too…

I can do tricks...another question would be how do you land tricks?

It seems once the trick starts you have such limited air control that it's complete chance whether your animation lines up straight when you hit the ground?

I have better success with grabs and spins than mistys but they don't generate enough points for the top scores.