ObsiEez's Trophy Checklist & Reviews

ObsiEez

Nice checklist and very nice layout! I feel like I need to redo mine at this point with the inspiration I see on these forums.

Also thanks for your work in helping with guides. Chances are you probably have helped with a few of my platinums 😆

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr_Wright95 said:

Nice checklist and very nice layout! I feel like I need to redo mine at this point with the inspiration I see on these forums.

Also thanks for your work in helping with guides. Chances are you probably have helped with a few of my platinums 😆

Thanks! I'm quite happy with how the formatting has turned out!

Based off a quick look through your profile, it seems the only one I've worked on that you've done is Moonlighter, which is one I'm super proud of honestly since it's the one that really pushed me into putting more effort into writing guides.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

Thanks! I'm quite happy with how the formatting has turned out!

Based off a quick look through your profile, it seems the only one I've worked on that you've done is Moonlighter, which is one I'm super proud of honestly since it's the one that really pushed me into putting more effort into writing guides.

Moonlighter was a great game and truth be told I did rely fairly heavily on some tutorials and guides for that one. Look forward to following this thread and your progress mate!

• Like 2

The entire thread has now been caught up to date! Instead of reposting the entire Alone in the Dark review I wrote before, I'll just link to the forum thread where I wrote it. All other reviews will be done here in a comment with the next one being Rise of the Ronin, which I should post later on tonight!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Wright95 said:

I’ve been considering this game for my introduction to this genre. Great review! Sounds fun and exactly what I want to play, will probably nab this one soon, congrats on the platinum!!

Thanks! I think it's a perfect introduction since it does have those difficulty options to prepare you for other games like Nioh that don't have those options, so if you do end up enjoying it & want to check out more of Team Ninja's works, you'll at least know what you're going to get into now since they play very similarly with just a few different mechanics overall

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

Thanks! I think it's a perfect introduction since it does have those difficulty options to prepare you for other games like Nioh that don't have those options, so if you do end up enjoying it & want to check out more of Team Ninja's works, you'll at least know what you're going to get into now since they play very similarly with just a few different mechanics overall

I have a fair few of the other games in the backlog, eager to give them a crack! Same logic as you though I feel this is a nice introduction to the genre. 

• Like 3

Welcome to the most wholesome corner of the forums! I'm glad you took my suggestion and created a thread here. It's nice to see reviews by gamers who have taken the time to fully explore a game. Most journalists don't get that amount of time before a piece is due.

Hopefully PowerPyx isn't working you to the bone 😅

I'm happy that you use Nioh's combat to compare Rise Of The Ronin's with, as I have been enthralled by those two games for probably over 1000 hours combined. I might pick it up once my backlog has shrunk considerably (I want to clean up the mess that shopping spree caused before buying more games).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shikotei-kun said:

Welcome to the most wholesome corner of the forums! I'm glad you took my suggestion and created a thread here. It's nice to see reviews by gamers who have taken the time to fully explore a game. Most journalists don't get that amount of time before a piece is due.

Hopefully PowerPyx isn't working you to the bone 😅

I'm happy that you use Nioh's combat to compare Rise Of The Ronin's with, as I have been enthralled by those two games for probably over 1000 hours combined. I might pick it up once my backlog has shrunk considerably (I want to clean up the mess that shopping spree caused before buying more games).

Yeah I hate reading a lot of reviews since they either never finish the game (either due to deadlines or just massive skill issues), or just seemingly hate video games to begin with, but yet is a reviewer for video games.

Thankfully it's been pretty laid back writing for PowerPyx still & I was even a few days late with finishing my 2 guides for Rise of the Ronin, which turned out to not be a huge deal.

Hopefully whenever you do snag Rise of the Ronin you end up enjoying it!

• Like 1

Platinum #369: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy - Reunion

deBu9PG.jpeg

Time/Difficulty/Grind:

Time to Platinum: 30 Hours

Personal Difficulty Rating: 4/10

Personal Grind Rating: 8/10

Introduction:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy - Reunion is a remaster of the hit PSP title Crisis Core that released in 2007. The game is a prequel that takes place 7 years before the original Final Fantasy 7 & tells the story of Zack, & his connection with Cloud & Sethiroth which leads up to the events of the original game. The game has a total of 10 Chapters (11 if you count the prologue) & is pretty short overall.

I have not played the original Crisis Core on PSP, so this was also my very first experience with Crisis Core.

Story/Characters:

The story & characters is truly where this game shines as it's fantastic. Following Zack's character development over the 7 years the game takes place is extremely well written, & really makes you feel for him as a character when everything starts to hit the fan. The game does a great job at showing a lot of the major characters backstories & as well as showing us what motivated them in the first place to become the characters we all know & love from the original Final Fantasy 7.

As for the story, it's very slow paced as the story doesn't really pick up until Chapter 8, but once it picks up it's just constant plot point after plot point, with very little breaks in-between. For some people this can feel overwhelming, but I absolute loved how the plot kept advancing when it got to that point. Chapter 1-7 is mostly building up the characters as well as the plot points that will unfold in Chapter 8 & beyond, but still have some interesting story points.

Gameplay:

Now this is where my praise stops. While the story/characters is absolutely fantastic, the gameplay is downright awful. The game is a perfect example of being hard carried by its story. The entire DMW (Digital Mind Wave) mechanic completely ruins the game. Having a slot machine dictate when your materia will level up, when/what limit breaks/summons you get to use, when you level up (even though you still need EXP), & what sort of bonuses you get such as no AP/MP consumption is just straight up a bad gameplay mechanic. No one liked playing Cait Sith in the original Final Fantasy 7, so why on gods green earth did they decide to make an entire game based around that mechanic?

Besides the DMW being down right awful, the game is clunky, which can lead to a lot of deaths, especially since the game starts throwing massive damaging enemies at you pretty early on in the optional missions. Speaking of optional missions, there is absolutely 0 subsistence to them & are there simply to pad out the game since the campaign is pretty short overall. The only mission line that has any substance at all is Yuffie's missions, & even then it's just some dialogue at the start & end of a regular mission.

When it comes to balancing, I think the game does it extremely poorly as it practically railroads you into using specific accessories/materia. I'll list some examples below.

• The game gives you 4 accessory slots (you start with 2), which sounds nice on the surface if they didn't force you to use very specific accessories for pretty much the entire game since you NEED to use the HP Break, Damage Break, & Anti-Death accessories equipped. The reason you need the Anti-Death related accessories is because so many enemies in the game have attacks that will cast death on you & you'll encounter them very frequently, especially mid to late game. Even once you get late game, you'll have the Genji set + some of the other OP accessories which at that point there is literally no reason to ever equip anything else.
  • Stat boosting materia like HP Up for example is absolutely useless in the game due to the fact you can use materia fusion to put 999% HP on literally any materia, so taking up any materia slots with stat boosting materia is actually just a waste of a materia slot, which really shouldn't be the case.
  • When it comes to attacking materia, you'll find yourself gravitating towards the "meta" materia simply because they completely outclass everything else. Attacks like Darkness, Costly Punch, Aerial Drain, Gil Toss, High Jump, Quake, are just so much better than literally everything else. You'd think with how powerful these materia are they'd unlock later in the game, but you can get some of those before the mid point of the game & use them right up until the end easily.

Because of the reason listed above, there is very little room for experimenting with builds, which I personally think is a bad thing when it comes to JRPGs/RPGs in general since a lot of the fun in that aspect of games is finding a build that suits your gameplay style or what you have the most fun with, but when the game is railroading you into using specific things it takes the fun out of it.

Trophies:

The trophies suck are & extremely mind numbingly boring to complete. The 2 biggest culprits being Mission Completionist for clearing all 300 of the extremely boring & cookie cutter missions, as well as DMW Master for getting 100% for all DMWs. Completing all 300 missions is very straight forward to do, but is just extremely boring, but DMW Master takes the cake as the worst trophy in the game. In order to get 100% in all DMWs, you'll first need to collect every DMW first (which there are 18 in total, but you really only need to 100% 7 of them since all the summon DMWs will 100% after 1 use). To 100% a DMW, you need to collect all 6 unique videos that play when you roll that specific character in the DMW (except Genesis, who only has 2). This trophy sucks simply because it's 3 layers of RNG stack on top of each other. You first need to actually roll the character you want, then it needs to actually play a video, then it needs to be a video you haven't seen yet. This trophy alone makes or breaks pretty much everyone's platinum since it can take HOURS of just getting your ass beat in Mission 1-1-1 until you get the DMWs 100%. There is ways to increase it with DMW boosting materia & abusing Cissnei's Limit Break, but at the end of the day you're still at the mercy of luck, which I absolutely hate.

As for the rest of the trophies, they're extremely easy & you'll probably earn them while working towards Mission Completionist & DMW Master. You'll also need to beat the game on Hard for SOILDER of Legend, but you can set your difficulty to Hard right before fighting the final boss & it will unlock the trophy, saving you from a second playthrough or doing the entire game on Hard.

Overall Rating/Conclusion:

Overall, I feel like this game is carried solely by its amazing story/characters & without it, it'd be just a down right terrible game. What a surprise that I didn't like yet another title directed by Hajime Tabata, who has never directed a single Final Fantasy title that I like, & as a matter of fact he pretty much dominates my most hated Final Fantasy title list. If you're interested in the story of the game, for the love of god just watch a playthrough of the game or go watch all the cutscenes/dialogue instead of playing it.

4/10

(Without the story being there, it'd easily be a 2/10, however)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Decided my next game is gonna be Eternights, & I'm working on a guide for it as well. I'm already cleared up to Act 3 & written the 100% Walkthrough guide up to that point as well, but took a break to work on the Persona 3 Reload guide a bit more (which should be finished within the next few days).

So far first impressions of being over halfway through the game now is that it's alright. Game is basically just a dating sim with other gameplay elements/story added for padding since they aren't exactly fleshed out very much.

Edited by ObsiEez
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #370: Stellar Blade

Ia1QTyW.jpeg

Time/Difficulty/Grind:

Time to Platinum: 50 Hours

Personal Difficulty Rating: 5/10

Personal Grind Rating: 6/10

Introduction:

Stellar Blade follows EVE, a member from the colony sent on a mission to earth to liberate it from the threat of Naytiba's with her trusty boo- sorry, I mean blade. Taking inspiration from games like Nier, Bayonetta, and even Sekiro, Stellar Blade tries to stand shoulder to shoulder with some of the juggernauts of the genre.

Story/Characters:

The story is surprising good, but starts out pretty slow. I don't want to get too much into detail, but it's very well crafted and paced. There are a lot of twists and turns, and some really great moments overall.

As for the characters, they're extremely well written, very likeable, and what everyone is saying in their head right now, very attractive. The character designs are really good & you even have quite a lot of customization options, with ear/eye accessories, customizing your hair a bit when you finish a specific quest, & loads of different Nano Suits to equip that are all purely cosmetic (minus the Skin suit, which removes you shield when it's equipped). My only real complaint with the characters is the VA for both EVE and Lily. Having a heavy British accent on 2 very Korean looking girls is just super uncanny for me. It just doesn't fit. Adam's VA isn't too bad since while he doesn't really sound Korean, he doesn't really have a heavy accent like EVE & Lily's VA's do. This is just a small nit pick however.

Gameplay:

The gameplay is where the game truly shines. Taking inspiration from games Nier, Bayonetta, and even Sekiro with its parry/deflection mechanics. It does an extremely good job of blending these ideas together and coming out with a very cohesive game that flows really well. All the bosses in both design and in their attack patterns are unique, so you never feel like you're fighting a rehashed boss fight, except for the optional boss fights which are all rehashed with the exception of 1. Combat feels very responsive and flows really well into different combos and abilities, letting you get some wicked combos in on your enemies.

My only complaint with the gameplay overall is that it's gank central when it comes to regular enemies when you get further into the game. You can very easily get stun locked and die because you got attacked by 4 different enemies all at once. This can some times feel very unfair and just down right bullshit, especially when it's a forced gank section with enemies that just don't stop attacking, basically forcing you to use specific attacks in order to deal with them quickly.

Overall Rating/Conclusion:

Overall the game is absolutely fantastic and does a great job at mixing all these different ideas together. For a studio that has only made a single mobile game before this and to come out release a massive quality product with absolutely 0 bugs and does a better job at releasing a AAA quality game than the big AAA studios is extremely sad. Shift Up has done an absolutely fantastic job and I look forward to seeing what else they do in the future!

9/10

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mr_Wright95 said:

Oh no way! I just read your review on the PlayStation Trophy Hunters page over on FB haha! (Unless this is the weirdest coincidence ever) Never realized that was you.

Anyways congrats on the amazing write up and I am looking forward to the guide! 

Yeah that's me! Thanks though man! Guide is already up on PowerPyx. Man that one was a hassle to write since there was soooo many collectibles & I did the vast majority of guides for this one as a sort of "stress test" type deal I guess. Glad I absolutely demolished expectations though!

• Like 1

Both Persona 3 Reload & Persona 3 Reloads 100% Ultimate Walkthrough have now been submitted for review! So should hopefully be live within the next week or 2. Guide took a lot longer than expected between myself being busy with a lot of PowerPyx stuff, and the writers, even including myself, just being busy with life stuff that kept coming up while we were working on it.

Happy to finally be done with that!