PC Multiplayer is currently compromised

Now imagine, like Black Ops II for PS3, hackers gain the ability to force all Black Ops III trophies to unlock for other profiles from the multiplayer mode.

On a PS3 I believe one can immediately disconnect from the PSN, then delete the user associated with the PSN account affected by a game's entire trophy list auto-popping (the result of joining a hacked multiplayer lobby or whatever in that game). There's no (good) solution to such a thing on home PlayStation systems from the eighth console generation (PS4) and beyond.

Edited by Dry

3 hours ago, Dry said:

Now imagine, like Black Ops II for PS3, hackers gain the ability to force all Black Ops III trophies to unlock for other profiles from the multiplayer mode.

On a PS3 I believe one can immediately disconnect from the PSN, then delete the user associated with the PSN account affected by a game's entire trophy list auto-popping (the result of joining a hacked multiplayer lobby or whatever in that game). There's no solution to such a thing on home PlayStation systems from the eighth console generation (PS4) and beyond.

If you're quick, that trick does work on the PS4 but you can't afford to waste even a second before disconnecting your internet if someone does forcibly auto-pop trophies on your account whilst in MP. Unfortunately though, it absolutely doesn't work on the PS5, though I'm not sure about the Vita :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PeashyRedTail said:

What they likely can do (these were problems on PC and its likely they might be able to on Playstation):
Force install things on your console, Steal your data, Game ban you

So no known examples of this happening to people playing the PlayStation versions yet…

What makes this “likely they might be able to on PlayStation”? Beyond pure speculation?

• Like 1

Don't know about gaining access to our console but the other things have been a thing for years. It's why I stopped playing, lobbies were full of hackers especially Zombies with people advertising their hack service. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeashyRedTail said:

*snip*

Have you got a link to anything stating the PC problems are making their way to console?  I know the community had to fix it on PC because Acti essentially said 'fuck it', and even then they can't play public games.

The main issue was the 4 RCE exploits, I'm unsure how these would be possible on console (not saying it's impossible).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PeashyRedTail said:

I don't want to fearmonger but this is just a heads up. You won't massively have to worry about it at least I hope but this is for people who might not know about this I want to give you a heads up.
Recently, there's been advances in Black Ops 3 Playstation where hackers are being able to gain access to your console. This is a result of how Black Ops 3 does server hosting or at least that was the problem on PC. There's no guarantee this will ever be fixed or if it'll ever happen to you but exercise caution. Keep in mind the extremes can only happen if the hacker is the host of the lobby.

What they can do:
Force join your games, Boot you, Disconnect you from the servers, Force hacks onto you, reset/edit your stats and gain access to your console

What they likely can do (these were problems on PC and its likely they might be able to on Playstation):
Force install things on your console, Steal your data, Game ban you

How to stay safe:

Play on offline. As long as you've got the Multiplayers trophies if you just want the platinum you can do it all in solo.

Once again, exercise caution this post is just to inform people that the issues with PC BO3 is finally starting to leak to Playstation which really sucks since I love this game so much.

Console games do not function like PC games, until you have some examples or proof of this happening on PS4 or PS5 there's literally 0 reason to worry about this.

The ONLY way to execute malicious code on the PS4/5 (while connected to PSN) is using a development or test kit and even then there's no guarantee the same security flaws would exist in the console version of the game.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2024 at 8:15 AM, usernam569 said:

Console games do not function like PC games, until you have some examples or proof of this happening on PS4 or PS5 there's literally 0 reason to worry about this.

The ONLY way to execute malicious code on the PS4/5 (while connected to PSN) is using a development or test kit and even then there's no guarantee the same security flaws would exist in the console version of the game.

That's good I'll link the two videos I saw. I should've also mentioned that they really only target streamers although I've been booted off the BO3 servers on PC so it might just be my paranoia from dealing with it on there. I'm not the most technical person when it comes to console so thanks for letting me know. I do know that the issue on PC was bad actors being the host of the lobby and injecting code from their computer to the game which would then run the code so it might just be a fluke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZmXbDAHXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbQ2UQ5Cnv0

On 4/23/2024 at 5:28 PM, Dry said:

On a PS3 I believe one can immediately disconnect from the PSN, then delete the user associated with the PSN account affected by a game's entire trophy list auto-popping (the result of joining a hacked multiplayer lobby or whatever in that game). There's no (good) solution to such a thing on home PlayStation systems from the eighth console generation (PS4) and beyond.

Was that an issue on PS3? I only played BO1 and BO2 on Xbox and I know they could auto give you everything and max your rank but I don't know too much about trophies. Then again I really don't know how much hackers can do on console.

On 4/23/2024 at 8:35 PM, DaivRules said:

So no known examples of this happening to people playing the PlayStation versions yet…

What makes this “likely they might be able to on PlayStation”? Beyond pure speculation?

I'm not too sure from what i've looked into it's only really affected a few people (The people usually only target streamers) compared to PC where you needed to install a patch to be only slightly safe. 
My main worry is if they have as much control as they do on PC because there they can force entry into matches and even boot people from the online.  

Edited by PeashyRedTail

51 minutes ago, PeashyRedTail said:

That's good I'll link the two videos I saw. I should've also mentioned that they really only target streamers although I've been booted off the BO3 servers on PC so it might just be my paranoia from dealing with it on there. I'm not the most technical person when it comes to console so thanks for letting me know. I do know that the issue on PC was bad actors being the host of the lobby and injecting code from their computer to the game which would then run the code so it might just be a fluke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZmXbDAHXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbQ2UQ5Cnv0

Was that an issue on PS3? I only played BO1 and BO2 on Xbox and I know they could auto give you everything and max your rank but I don't know too much about trophies. Then again I really don't know how much hackers can do on console.

I'm not too sure from what i've looked into it's only really affected a few people (The people usually only target streamers) compared to PC where you needed to install a patch to be only slightly safe. 
My main worry is if they have as much control as they do on PC because there they can force entry into matches and even boot people from the online.  

The PS3 version of BLOPS 3 is almost unplayable right now, because of a glitch that crashes the game for new players when they try to use their first unlock token but the devs have refused to fix it (though with Sony dropping PS3 support, there's probably nothing they can do about it). All the PS3 COD games have a hacker problem to varying degrees but only BLOPS 2 and WaW have hacked lobbies that can auto-pop trophies.

• Like 1