Anime Recommendation Thread

Aexuz

Thought it was a good idea to start something like this considering the great number of anime lovers we have in the site.

I need some advice on how to start with the Gundam series. I would like to know if there's a connection between the series and which is the best from all of them. I've heard a lot of good comments about this series but I have no idea were to start. Please help :)

Edited by Aexuz

Watch the Mobile Suit Gundam movie adaptations instead of the series, then watch Zeta Gundam (or watch the movie adaptations as well, either works). You can watch anything else that follows without issues, especially Double Z which is a direct sequel to Zeta Gundam (which is a direct sequel to the original Gundam). I can't remember what follows Double Z in the timeline, but almost every Gundam series that followed is in an alternate one, so you don't really need to watch any previous series.

• Like 1

There're several universes. It's better to watch titles from the same universe (since they're prequels/sequels).

Different universes share same ideas, often have some similar chracters and plot twists... However they're not directly connected.

I've seen chart somewhere, if I find it again I'll post it...

If you like old anime - start with first one (0079). It's not great, but good.

If you prefer modern one - skip it and start with SEED or 00.

UPD: found it, but it's a bit outdated (was made in 2006).

Edited by vivan000
  • Like 2

I'd recommend Pandora Hearts. It has some great characters and is nicely animated. The music is good too. It can be confusing and hard to follow at times, the story is pretty complex after all. 

Though, I'd really recommend reading the manga. It's much better, continues the real story and is filled to the brim with plot-twists. I'd say the genre is somewhere in the "Mystery" category.

Can someone name me a few funny anime that are fairly recent (2010-now)??

I've watched Azumanga Daioh and Daily Lives of Highschool Boys already... and Lucky Star... and Special A and Lovely Complex and Ouran HSHC........

I want moar funnies~ >_<

I've watched Azumanga Daioh and Daily Lives of Highschool Boys already... and Lucky Star... and Special A and Lovely Complex and Ouran HSHC........

I want moar funnies~ >_<

Give Highschool DxD a watch. That gave me plenty of laughs.

• Like 1

I want moar funnies~ >_<

I suggest you check out Nichijou, as its filled with funny moments. And the best comedy anime i've seen so far

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu is also a good comedy to enjoy

Ohh as well as Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Haiyore! Nyaruko-san and Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt

Edited by MidnightRadiance
  • Like 1

Thought it was a good idea to start something like this considering the great number of anime lovers we have in the site.

I need some advice on how to start with the Gundam series. I would like to know if there's a connection between the series and which is the best from all of them. I've heard a lot of good comments about this series but I have no idea were to start. Please help :)

Try Gundam Wing. It's a good one to start with.

I suggest you check out Nichijou, as its filled with funny moments. And the best comedy anime i've seen so far

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu is also a good comedy to enjoy

Ohh as well as Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Haiyore! Nyaruko-san and Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt

Ah! I've already seen most if not all of Nichijou! It was pretty hilarious.... hmm.... It's worth a rewatch, thnx!

I started Baka to Test but the Pink haired girl with the big kahuna's bothered me for some reason so I dropped it.

The other 3 I haven't seen, though. SANKYUUUU~!

Give Highschool DxD a watch. That gave me plenty of laughs.

Yeah? Alright!! I've sorta heard of it but never tried watching. Thnx :)

I want moar funnies~ >_<

While Gintama is not new (it has new seasons, though) it's the best comedy anime ever made (it takes top 4-7 spots on MAL for a reason). You have to endure first 10-20 episodes as they're not that good (and it started with rather low budget), but it's totally worth it (and it has 200+ episodes of awesomeness). Check this ;)

Also Daily Lives of Highschool Boys was made by part of the Gintama staff, so it has similar humor.

Binbogami ga! is another anime that has similar humor and was made by another part of the Gintama staff.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Beelzebub.

SKET Dance (it's very similar to Gintama, but not as great).

• Like 1

While Gintama is not new (it has new seasons, though) it's the best comedy anime ever made (it takes top 4-7 spots on MAL for a reason). You have to endure first 10-20 episodes as they're not that good (and it started with rather low budget), but it's totally worth it (and it has 200+ episodes of awesomeness). Check this ;)

Also Daily Lives of Highschool Boys was made by part of the Gintama staff, so it has similar humor.

Binbogami ga! is another anime that has similar humor and was made by another part of the Gintama staff.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Beelzebub.

SKET Dance (it's very similar to Gintama, but not as great).

Oh,GAWD. Gintama. I've tried watching it before but... ugh.... it's true that the first 10-20 episodes aren't very good. I don't think I've ever gone farther.... Okay. I'll try it, but after your other suggestions. ^_^

Thank you~ 

http://imgur.com/WNqc5qh

I want moar funnies~ >_<

I know only older titles, Ichigo Mashimaro, Great teacher Onizuka & Janguru wa Itsumo Hare nochi Gu.

Edited by Wandererster
  • Like 1

Oh,GAWD. Gintama. I've tried watching it before but... ugh.... it's true that the first 10-20 episodes aren't very good. I don't think I've ever gone farther.... Okay. I'll try it, but after your other suggestions. ^_^

Thank you~ 

Yes the first 10 episodes are kind of boring but it gets better after and its funny, I suggest finishing it. Shugo Chara is pretty funny, I think you'll enjoy it. It's 51 episodes with some ova episodes as well. 

Gintama is the bomb. I suggest it to anyone with spare time. If you can enjoy the first season, you can enjoy everything else. Skip the first 2 episodes as well, they blow and aren't even in the manga.

Oreimo is pretty good.  About a girl who is secretly an Otaku, her brother happens to find out which leads to her introducing him to Visual Novels/Animes/etc, while he helps her make friends who are also girls and interested in this sort of stuff.  It's a good anime for those that get this stuff.  There's 2 seasons plus a special season between those.  Personally, the first season is good enough as the second season is more of that brother and sister loves each other (not family love) with less otaku related stuff.  It's really funny to watch as well :) I'm not normally into these animes but this is one I enjoyed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Death Note. It's about a smart student (like Michael Scofield smart from Prison Break) his name is Light Yagami. Who finds a notebook that when he writes someones name that person dies. He's using it to kill crimanals, but at the same time trying to cover his tracks since the cops and a detective who goes by the name L are trying to uncover his identity.

Edited by Nagi

I just finished HOTD and loved it! Anyone else know a good violent anime with a good story?

I was thinking Rorouni Kenshin...

If you haven't already, watch claymore & deadman wonderland. Another, maybe not well known anime is Blood - c. It's pretty violent (and gory :D). And has a decent story.