Games that you find "revolutionary"

merciful84

Not at all.  People have been able to fiddle with the mechanics of Create mode to actually develop first person shooters and Mario Kart-like racing games, another person made an hour-long detective movie with voice acting for example.

That's the sequel. LBP was originally just a platformer where you could create your own platforming levels.

Edited by Recreatee

Resident Evil & Silent Hill (survival horror genre)

Resident Evil 4 (3rd person shooter over the shoulder camera)

Street Fighter II (fighting genre)

GTA III (open world genre)

Crash Bandicoot (3d platform)

I will also include The Last Of Us although we have to wait for a couple of years to see what impact will it have. But as for the character development, visuals, user interface and many more it surely has it's place to the revolutionary list for me.

I know too less about games to talk about revolutionary games in general, but I can talk about games that were for me.

GTA San Andreas

Despite loving Vice City, San Andreas was the first game that made me feel free. I had played sandbox games before, but this was the only one that made me "fall in love" with sandbox games.

Assassin's Creed

This game combined a few things I love: history, assassin's, secret wars, freerun, italy, pirates, ...

Since the first announcement I've been a real fan of the franchise.

Fallout 3

The first real RPG I tried. After playing this games I changed into an RPG fan. 

Because of this game I've played many, many RPG's even they sometimes are very different from F3.

Skyrim, Oblion, Deux Ex HR, Kingdom of Amalur, F New Vegas, Dragon's Dogma, Ni No Kuni, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Borderlands, ...

Metal Gear Solid 2

I was probable 10-12 when I first played this, I hated it. 

But after a few years I tried it again and loved it. It was the first stealth game I had played and it was so cool.

At that moment MGS3 was already out and MGS4 was almost out, so I played the console games quite fast, even bought the first one between 3 and 4. Since playing this game, I really love stealth games for example splinter cell, dishonored, Metro 2033/ Last Light, Hitman, ...

My perfect games combines sandbox, freedom, RPG and stealth in one. Good examples are Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Anyone know similiar games?

The Last of Us will most likely have lasting impact and hell, its done something that I think is impactful for media in general, a completely and utterly non-stereotypical homosexual/LGBT character.

This one, I disagree on. Last I checked, gay people are just people. So I don't see a big deal of including one in a game. I mean, you don't see people saying a game is revolutionary because it has a black character, a female character, etc. So I doubt having a gay character in a game is revolutionary in any way.

I know there are journalists out there who love to make a huge deal when gay characters are included. Hell, I've seen people give Gone Home a 10/10 just because it has lesbians. I wish we could move past this way of thinking, and just look at a gay character as just another character.

• Like 4

But media does not look at it that way. Most gay characters are stereotypes, so to see one so..normal, just a person, is definitely a huge step forward. Its not about including one, but the portrayal.

This one, I disagree on. Last I checked, gay people are just people. So I don't see a big deal of including one in a game. I mean, you don't see people saying a game is revolutionary because it has a black character, a female character, etc. So I doubt having a gay character in a game is revolutionary in any way.

I know there are journalists out there who love to make a huge deal when gay characters are included. Hell, I've seen people give Gone Home a 10/10 just because it has lesbians. I wish we could move past this way of thinking, and just look at a gay character as just another character.

• Like 2

But media does not look at it that way. Most gay characters are stereotypes, so to see one so..normal, just a person, is definitely a huge step forward. Its not about including one, but the portrayal.

OK then, that makes sense. But that's just because the media is stupid. You could be a "normal" gay character in other games before Last of Us, Dragon's Dogma and Mass Effect come to mind. But I understand what you mean, it being a step forward in the media's eyes.

OK then, that makes sense. But that's just because the media is stupid. You could be a "normal" gay character in other games before Last of Us, Dragon's Dogma and Mass Effect come to mind. But I understand what you mean, it being a step forward in the media's eyes.

Eh yeah I guess, but those are player driven and the characters have no real pre-defined character and personality, so usually those are overlooked. Exactly, for media, its a great effort on ND's part. 

And TLoU definitely has more going for it than a homosexual character, too. :P

Eh yeah I guess, but those are player driven and the characters have no real pre-defined character and personality, so usually those are overlooked. Exactly, for media, its a great effort on ND's part.

And TLoU definitely has more going for it than a homosexual character, too. :P

And the fact they overlook it, is why I said the gaming media is stupid. Dragon's Dogma and Mass Effect both have gay make out scenes, and implied sex scenes. Yet, because those are player created characters, the media just says "Yeah, whatever." But include a 2 second kiss in a DLC, and you get praised for your writing, just because the characters aren't custom created.

I'll stop there, because this is probably getting a little too off topic at this point.

Edited by PREDRAG-K

Well, there are games that revolutionised their genre and the ones that revolutionised the whole industry. Later ones would be games like Doom and Wolfenstein 3D which defined all shooting games to come. Also MGS series brought games closer to movies with their cutscenes and plot twists.

The genre-related list would be too long to write from scratch right now.

Revolutionary games

- Wolfenstein (There were some FP games before Wolfenstein, but Wolfenstein perfected it and made it more fluid and a shooter.)

- DOOM

- GoldenEye

- Halo (The reason to get the Xbox when it came out.)

- Halo 2 (The guinea pig for Xbox Live)

- Mortal Kombat

- Street Fighter II

- Grand Theft Auto III

- Limbo

- The Last of Us (A diamond of our time. Amazing music with a fun gameplay and a gripping story.)

- Resident Evil

- Silent Hill

- Silent Hill 2

- Metroid

- Super Metroid 

- Metroid Prime (Showed us that shooters can be different)

- Castlevania

- Mario Party

- Tetris (Sold the Game Boy like hot cakes. The success of the Game Boy led to the DS and 3DS. Also goes to show that a simple puzzle game is fun as fuck and can pass the time)

- Bioshock

- Pokemon Red, Blue, Green and Yellow

- Final Fantasy

- Manhunt

- Battlefield: Bad Company 1 and 2 (Orgasmic audio with 'War Tapes', destruction was insane, bullet drop sniping and Vietnam IMO is the best DLC ever.)

- Metal Gear (The grandfather of stealth and espionage)

- Snake's Revenge (I enjoyed it and it also motivated Kojima to make a proper sequel)

- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

- Metal Gear Solid 

- Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 (I loved how you could stop and zoom out to look at your surroundings and give orders.)

Revolutionary systems

- Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis (Nintendo and Sega have been around longer with other systems like the NES and the SG-1000, but I felt that things really heated up between both companies when these systems were released. Competition is healthy because it pushes companies to be different and come out with better product.)

- Sega Saturn (Sega was really pushing themselves with new accessories such as the Sega Saturn NetLink. NetLink allowed players to use their own ISP and hook up with anyone around the world as long as they had a Saturn, the same game and a phone line. I think you could also go on the internet with the Saturn because I know that there were printers, modems, keyboard & mouse and floppy drives released for it in Japan.)

A great questions, some that come to mind are:

Doom/Duke Nukem 3D - Although they didnt come first i played Doom & Duke before i played Wolfenstein so to me at least these games totally changed the way i saw games.

The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall - The first open world game that i played.

Half Life - The fist time that the games story was integrated into the actual gameplay rather than being a separate cut scene or text, it also did away with your typical FPS level design.

Counter Strike - The beta was the first online game that i played.

Gran Turismo - Totally changed the way racing games were played. Until then they were mostly based on a real life racing series, or only had a handful of cars that you could unlock.

GTA3 - For the first time you could run a muck in a truely open 3D world.

Halo 2 - Changed the way i looked at many console games where the multiplayer was more important than the single player.

The Legend of Zelda and Mario are two that come to mind when I think of it...and I guess an old shooter one that kinda affected would be the Doom series...but it's nothing I looked up, it's just my opinion : )

(edited 'cause the Doom.  how I loved playing that on pc...)

Edited by mnlghtmaiden