Games that you find "revolutionary"

merciful84

What games would you say:

1. You believe changed the way we play games and the overall industry?
2. Forever impacted you personally as a gamer and why?

I'm talking about games that on any given day that you would have no problem giving that rare 10/10 to.

1:

Final Fantasy VII - A conversation I just had with a fellow site member is what actually inspired the creation of this topic. Even though its not one of my favorite in the series, objectively here's why I think it revolutionized not only the FF series of games but the JRPG genre in general:

a. It was the first 3D rendered Final Fantasy game

b. After its mainstream success, the NA market has gotten every entry into the mainstream series (in order) since

c. It was the last Final Fantasy to have secret party members (a concept in JRPGs I miss in general)

d. It was the first to have really ambigous plot points and ending that people still debate today

e. The materia battle system (at the time) deviated from how magic/skills/etc where used and gained in prior entries. They were swappable and any combination of them added more customizability to party members but never robbed them of their individual strengths brought to the team

f. The level of depth in the main antagonist and the mind f**k of the plot twist(s) wasn't common in gaming at the time nor the series.

I feel similarly about FFX. Its my least favorite in the series but it definately did a great job at moving the series along with visuals arguably the best on PS2, first to feature voice acting (well done btw), switching mid battle, etc.

2:

The Mass Effect series - I had never played a series of games where every little detail of my prior adventures and choice followed me all the way through. Everything from the visualization of the environments & character models, depth of the character building, storytelling, gameplay variety...really just blew my mind and got me fully invested into the overall experience. Now, I want more. Not just more Mass Effect but more gaming experiences where my past actions countinue to carry over to tell MY story and reward me according to my spoils throughout.

Of course I have more than just these but this is just to start things off :)

Cheap choice, but the original Super Mario Bros. remains the most influential video game to this day. So many things that are essential to modern gaming came from this game. The way that game teaches the player its mechanics through level design is what every game to this day should try to achieve. It also pretty much introduced us to the concept of level design as we know it today.

Gran Turismo

Metal Gear Solid

Grand Theft Auto III

Super Mario Brothers

Harvest Moon

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Metroid

The Legend of Zelda

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus 

Each game revolutionized the genre they're in and without them I feel gaming would be a lot different than it is today. 

Parker

• Like 2

Legend of Zelda

First game to offer saves:)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Even though the series has a lot of haters these days, some with reason, the game and it's multiplayer made an entire generation have addiction to FPS's.

World at War should be next to that name also

Grand Theft Auto III
Original DOOM Series
BioShock
World of Warcraft
Minecraft

That's only ones off the top of my head. There are many more.

How did minecraft change gaming?

Responding to the question above, "How did Minecraft change gaming?

How didn't it? There are no rules and no limitations to what you can create. This was almost unheard of at the time of its creation. This was also one of the first games to really bring about the idea that the player is in control. Someone can do or build what they want when they want. It really led the way and inspired game developers to put these ideas into play on their games.

Edited by Lithium_Lemon

For me there hasn't been one game that changed everything, but a few different games that changed the way I see certain things in video games.

1. Bioshock- This, to me, changed the way games are used to tell stories. It showed that you can have a game that's fun to play, and can engage the gamer with a compelling story. There were obviously games with stories before Bioshock, but I think Bioshock is the one that pushed this to the mainstream.

2. Little Big Planet (and Modnation Racers to a lesser extent)- These showed me what can happen when you give your gamers a little freedom, and create tools. Some of the levels in LBP2's community are mind blowing, it's like you are playing a completely different game. Just goes to show how many talented people are out there, and all they need is a canvas to showcase their talents. I hope there are more developers out there willing to give this type of creative freedom to their consumers.

3. Final Fantasy- The whole series in particular changed the way everyone looks at RPGs. Before FF, they were some obscure Japanese genre. But now, thanks to FF, they are one of the most popular genres around the world. Who knows if the west would've even had RPGs today, it FF never tried to branch out.

Edited by PREDRAG-K
  • Like 1

See, I love BioShock, it is one of the best games I've ever played, but I could only class it as an extraordinarily huge evolution in the medium of FPS' and gaming, which is a separate category to revolution.  It's not necessarily inferior either despite the inferration, I just think there is a fine line that separates the two, but they both undoubtedly have merit.  

LittleBigPlanet on the other hand I class as revolutionary because it fully showcased the power of next-gen consoles with the obscene depth and customisable options.  So I give it props for that, but it isn't a game I necessarily would choose to play now that I've gotten the platinum. Objectively however I can't deny its impact.

Hopefully this clarifies the criteria I have for a revolutionary game.  Bear in mind these two can overlap for a truly unmissable gaming experience.

There are clear ones like Portal, Street Fighter II, Grand Theft Auto III, Call of Duty 4 etc that most of us know because you can't exactly be a revolutionary title and escape the publics eye, so i'll veer more towards ones that may not have been considered.

Mortal Kombat (2011) -  The reason I cite this is because I found it revolutionary in terms of 'the reboot'.  The idea of a reboot is to encapsulate the spirit of the original title while incorporating updated mechanics and pushing contemporary boundaries.  I think MK2011 did just that in a way that Street Fighter IV aped the original a little too much.

Vanquish - Shinji Mikami made this after revolutionising gaming with Resident Evil 4.  As far as I'm concerned (and hopefully those who have played it would agree) the sliding mechanic is unlike anything else I've seen in a game and is appropriately responsive and intuitive providing a frankly better experience than a lot of third person shooters.  Uncharted is a brilliant TPS, but gameplaywise I know which one I go back to more!

Skate - They had balls going up against THPS, even though that series now sucks.  Tony Hawk seemingly had a monopoly on the skating genre then Skate came outta nowhere with a genius marketing campaign that showcased the subtlety of its controls versus the ostensibly nuanced controls of Tony Hawks.  I wanted the HD version to make a comeback but they fucked it.  HeRe's hoping they port THPS3 and 4.

and ofc Metal Gear Solid (basically all of them), Shadow of the Colossus, FInal Fantasy, Journey, Rock Band etc

Let me know if you agree/disagree.  An honourable mention goes to the cancelled Brutal Legend 2, which I imagine given more time and funding could have been a contender.

• Like 1

I would say these games/series revolutionized or had the biggest influence on each of their respective genres.

- The Legend of Zelda (Action/Adventure)

- Final Fantasy (RPG)

- World of Warcraft (MMORPG)

- Pokemon (Handheld)

- DotA (MOBA)

- Starcraft (RTS)

- Diablo (Dungeon Crawler)

- Call of Duty (FPS)

- Resident Evil (Survival Horror)

- Street Fighter (Fighting)

- Super Mario (Platformer)

Edited by OdysseyPS

Wouldn't give a 10 to these games besides GoW 2 and maybe Crash but the first 4 forever impacted me as a gamer for sure....they definitely were revolutionary.

Metal Gear Solid

Crash Bandicoot

God of War 2

Resident Evil

Final Fantasy

Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare

Also more recently we had Uncharted 2 Among Thieves and Little Big Planet that were pretty revolutionary and The Last of Us,well no words needed here...from now on a lot of games will try to be/follow TLoU.

Of course Uncharted 2,LBP and TLoU are a 10 out of 10 and impacted me as a gamer too.

Edited by Welmosca

Changed Gaming

Super Mario Bros.

Call of Duty 4

Minecraft

The Sims

Grand Theft Auto (No game specifically, just the series as a whole)

Pokemon

Impacted Me

Sonic The Hedgehog

Sonic Adventure 2

Burnout Paradise

Warhawk

Guitar Hero/Rock Band (Rock Band was actually how I started drumming 4 years ago)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Pokemon

Runescape

Crash Bandicoot: Warped

Metal Gear Solid and Half Life established what video games narratives would be, either gameplay and level design driven stories, or cutscene cinematic experiences. Thief: The Dark Project pioneered the stealth genre, CoD 4 defined online multiplayer shooters, The Last of Us will most likely have lasting impact and hell, its done something that I think is impactful for media in general, a completely and utterly non-stereotypical homosexual/LGBT character, i'd also like to add that the way it blends both narrative styles mentioned above and its story in general are a very big step forward.

I'll think of more and post them.

GTA III is a no brainer, complete game changer. I would argue however OP, that Mass Effect isn't revolutionary. It hasn't really changed much, the concept of choice isn't a new thing done by Mass Effect. 

I think, in general, one must make a distinction between a game they love/enjoy and one that was actually impactin.

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD

Responding to the question above, "How did Minecraft change gaming?

How didn't it? There are no rules and no limitations to what you can create. This was almost unheard of at the time of its creation. This was also one of the first games to really bring about the idea that the player is in control. Someone can do or build what they want when they want. It really led the way and inspired game developers to put these ideas into play on their games.

LittleBigPlanet totally didn't do that a year before Minecraft on the PS3.

I agree about Final Fantasy VII though.  It may not be my favourite Final Fantasy but there's no shying away from the fact that the game revolutionised gaming and especially the RPG market.

Other revolutionary games:

• Metal Gear Solid
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Resident Evil
  • Silent Hill
  • Tekken
  • Sims
  • Monkey Island

Those games are probably more so revolutionary to their respective genre, though.

LittleBigPlanet totally didn't do that a year before Minecraft on the PS3.

I agree about Final Fantasy VII though.  It may not be my favourite Final Fantasy but there's no shying away from the fact that the game revolutionised gaming and especially the RPG market.

Other revolutionary games:

• Metal Gear Solid
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Resident Evil
  • Silent Hill
  • Tekken
  • Sims
  • Monkey Island

Those games are probably more so revolutionary to their respective genre, though.

LittleBigPlanet is a platformer and only a platformer and Minecraft is whatever you want it to be.

LittleBigPlanet is a platformer and only a platformer and Minecraft is whatever you want it to be.

Not at all.  People have been able to fiddle with the mechanics of Create mode to actually develop first person shooters and Mario Kart-like racing games, another person made an hour-long detective movie with voice acting for example.