Tips on killing Malthael and Diablo in HC?

You can backup your save file to your Cloud and if you die repull that save, but only works if you regularly save your file to the Cloud.
Also I strongly recommend playing on Normal and don't get over confident, that will kill you.
DODGE!!!

Also I am working on this trophy now, I am finding the Crusader to be a grand choice, heal yourself, amazing distance attacks, you can buff yourself. 
I am playing on HC Expert with a Crusader now and I am level 18 and have only came close to dying once. So OP.

As for killing them, I would honestly grind to 70 and do it on Normal....best advice I can give, haha Diablo should be no problem, but Mathael is pain on any difficulty haha.

• Like 1

You can backup your save file to your Cloud and if you die repull that save, but only works if you regularly save your file to the Cloud.

Also I strongly recommend playing on Normal and don't get over confident, that will kill you.

DODGE!!!

Also I am working on this trophy now, I am finding the Crusader to be a grand choice, heal yourself, amazing distance attacks, you can buff yourself. 

I am playing on HC Expert with a Crusader now and I am level 18 and have only came close to dying once. So OP.

As for killing them, I would honestly grind to 70 and do it on Normal....best advice I can give, haha Diablo should be no problem, but Mathael is pain on any difficulty haha.

Noob question here, don't kill me. How do I save a file into my cloud? I don't use cloud services that much so my knowledge on this is close to none. 

there is two ways

1:

click on game icon with :triangle: and choose auto send saves to cloud (i dont know exact comand there but you should see something like that)

also when you start any game for the first time ps3 is asking you if you want to do that

if you have auto updates on (check on ps3 settings) saves will be automatically send to cloud once a day

2: (this is better in  case of Diablo )

go to your saves, find D3:UEE folder, enter it , click on the saves with :triangle: and choose copy all.

fallow on screen instructions and thats it

its better because you can do this multiple times per day while 1st option do this only once per day

there is two ways

1:

click on game icon with :triangle: and choose auto send saves to cloud (i dont know exact comand there but you should see something like that)

also when you start any game for the first time ps3 is asking you if you want to do that

if you have auto updates on (check on ps3 settings) saves will be automatically send to cloud once a day

2: (this is better in  case of Diablo )

go to your saves, find D3:UEE folder, enter it , click on the saves with :triangle: and choose copy all.

fallow on screen instructions and thats it

its better because you can do this multiple times per day while 1st option do this only once per day

Thanks. Will try this when I get home, if I save my file to the cloud and my HC dies. I can re-load the file and play as him again correct?  

With option number 2 I need an USB drive correct? and oh how many GB can the cloud hold?    It's 1GB. 

Edited by ihate_ray

Thanks. Will try this when I get home, if I save my file to the cloud and my HC dies. I can re-load the file and play as him again correct?  

With option number 2 I need an USB drive correct? and oh how many GB can the cloud hold?    It's 1GB. 

yes you can reload file but keep in mind it will rollback EVERYTHING (from Diablo ofc) to the time when you made back up

and i think there is some limitation to number of times per day you can download each file (at least it happened to me once) but i cant confirm this one

as for usb drive

it doesnt have to be usb hard drive

it can be normal usb stick

• Like 1

yes you can reload file but keep in mind it will rollback EVERYTHING (from Diablo ofc) to the time when you made back up

and i think there is some limitation to number of times per day you can download each file (at least it happened to me once) but i cant confirm this one

as for usb drive

it doesnt have to be usb hard drive

it can be normal usb stick

Ah thank you. I have some confidence now that I will beat Malthael and Diablo on HC. I need to get used to the other classes first though. One level 70 and its a Demon Hunter.

Also with the Cloud saves(especially concerning ps3), it will update to cloud service a limited number of times a day, my ps3 would do it at 8am everyday, also looked for updates for all the games I had set to Cloud Server.
You can manually save yourself though by going to the save file and sending a copy to cloud.

If you are on ps3 though, completely forget the Cloud method and use the usb, it is a million times easier for yourself and you don't have to be online to access, and you can physically hold the copy.

I am doing on ps4 so sadly no USB, so that is why i suggested the Cloud in the first place, it is the ps4's only choice.

Really, this is the only trophy that is bugging me. I'm not an average HC player but I really want that Plat. Do you guys (people who have done it before, play on PC etc) have any tips? I know that you can do HC Easy, but still. One death can fuck everything up. :/ 

Hey I have already posted on this thread, but just thought to myself, if you are rocking ps4 you are more than welcome to add me, that is my game of choice atm.

Play on normal. Always keep your health above 75%. If you have never fought them before then I recommend doing it on normal so that you know what they will be throwing at you. Malthael can kill you pretty quickly if you get stuck in a certain situation (he spawns these skulls that spin in circles which can kill you pretty quickly if you get stunned in their path) so just keep moving and attack when you see an opening. I play as a wizard and have never come close to dying so I am sure it is even easier for the tank classes.

• Like 1

Play on normal. Always keep your health above 75%. If you have never fought them before then I recommend doing it on normal so that you know what they will be throwing at you. Malthael can kill you pretty quickly if you get stuck in a certain situation (he spawns these skulls that spin in circles which can kill you pretty quickly if you get stunned in their path) so just keep moving and attack when you see an opening. I play as a wizard and have never come close to dying so I am sure it is even easier for the tank classes.

What class do you suggest? 

I found smashing them in the face to be effective.  Honestly, as long as you're on Normal difficulty they basically can't hurt you.  There's healing wells if you screw up, and unless you made an effort to ignore defensive stats on every piece of gear, they will take many hits to put you at risk of dying.

Edited by Eleuthria

I just finished act 5 in hardcore with a Witch Doctor, on normal difficulty, and everything was just a complete face roll. When I started the playthrough I was very cautious because it's a long time since I played normal (original PC release in 2012) and couldn't remember exactly how "difficult" it was, but by the end I was just running through stuff, pulling tons of crap and letting my pets and firebombs take them all down in seconds.

As the WD the Spirit Barrage ability with the Well of Souls rune is such a cheap spell to use (but I did it anyway) because you can basically stand on the spot and unload your entire mana reserve into elites or champion packs and they'll no doubt die. Diablo wasn't much different and after draining my mana on him, he was already down to half health and moving to the next stage of the fight. I have to admit that Malthael was trickier because he wouldn't keep his attention on my pets and what with the white clouds moving around the arena, I had to move quite a bit. Having said that though, he barely did any damage to me and was down pretty quickly.

Also bear in mind that I'm not exactly the best gamer in the world and often find myself failing on even the most simplest things in other games, so if I can manage hardcore with such ease, pretty much anyone could.

i think cloud saves are lame.

hardcore really isnt that hard if you know what you are doing - play the game first in softcore (you will need to level 6 chars anyways) and get used to everything, then start hardcore. start on normal, clear everything and try to get nice gear (you will need to level 70 anyways, i cleared everything and was 67 on malthael but i had a lot of legendaries), and for easier parts you can switch to hard or even expert.

for bosses, i lowered difficulty to normal just to be safe (diablo and malthael never had me below 80% health). i highly recommend the witch doctor with 4 dogs an a gargantaur (or whatsitcalled) for heroic run. my pets did almost everything, i just casted one or two haunts and that ground area effect per enemy group from a safe distance.

Edited by jens108

Hi, Diablo (the entire game) on normal mode is a cakewalk. The bosses don't have any enrage timers, and you are able to kill them with like 50k dps ACT 6 80k DPS ACT 6.

My suggestion for hardcore is playing monk or wizard. Both have an passive that let's you cheat death. Monks got another passive that gives them more All Res via regular res. Get some life on hit and play on normal and you honestly should never die.

If you are really really really new/unskilled then go a hardcore barb on normal difficulty, equip shield and 1h, get rend with healing glyph, the revenge ability (procs when you are hit) and glyph it with more stacks. Your selfhealing will be higher than the enemies damage. Your dps is low, sure, but you want to get the achi right?:)

What class do you suggest?

Witch Doctor is by far the easiest class for a Hardcore run.

Here's the basic final build. It's all unlocked by level 36 (except Gargantuan's rune, which doesn't matter anyway), during Act II on Expert. 

The core of the build is -

1. Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan to handle agro. You don't get hit, you don't get hurt.

2. Spirit Barrage > Well of Souls to spam damage.

3. Blood Ritual and Rush of Essence for infinite Mana when using Spirit Barrage.

4. Acid Cloud to handle spikes and AoE. 

5. Spirit Walk to get out of trouble, and to sprint through Zones.

For an Expert run, take Festish Sycophants. 

For Normal, take Fierce Loyalty instead of Sycophants to simply run past all enemies. Use Acid Cloud to clear the path, then spike down the elites / bosses with Spirit Barrage. Couldn't be simpler.

You could sleepwalk through HC using this buzzsaw of a build. No special equipment required, though Mana regen and Attack Speed is a plus. I kept the starter Signet Ring of the Blizzard for a 10% chance to freeze to lock up all enemies, including Bosses, while you tear them apart. If you can be bothered, slot a Diamond into a Weapon for damage vs Elite and a Topaz into a Helm to find better gear, or a Ruby into a Helm to speed up levelling.

* There are far superior builds for post-game bounties and/or farming, but this build is easy to get and safe to run for HC.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I played with a friend WD and I was barb, and we finished act 5 and malthael at around level 50 on master ( highest difficulty first time ) and it was no problem at all.

after 1 day of farming I can do torment 4 solo on my own. its not really hard just dodge his attacks, go behind him when he does his diablo double beam, and kill the ads when you see them. pretty much only advice, for diablo, make sure you use an escape immediatly when you enter phase 2, because sometimes a barb for example, will spawn on you and instantly groundstomp and hammer of ancients you, ( happened to me ) 

I am doing on ps4 so sadly no USB, so that is why i suggested the Cloud in the first place, it is the ps4's only choice.

PS4 has USB saves. Not sure what you are referring to. 2 USB ports on the front of the console that you can plug a USB stick into and copy game save to. Been doing it for this game.

Witch Doctor on Normal is a great way to go. Everything just dies with ease

As before I'd recommend Witch Doctor because of the zombie dogs and the giant Gargantuan zombie following you. They deal pretty much damage to the bosses all the time. I wasn't sure of the level I had reached the first time I faced Malthael so on HC I decided to grind a few levels to get decent gear against him. I was like lvl 60 with Crusader and Malthael was a piece of cake. Just dodge and take advantage of your most effective ranged and mid-ranged weapons so you can take a little distance and you'll be just fine.

With Diablo you don't really need advice but on Malthael beware of the poison clouds and the skulls circling around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't done Hardcore yet but since the only difference between Hardcore and regular mode is perma death I can still throw my 2 cents in. I would have to recommend a Crusader. I only dropped below 50% health 1 time during the course of all 5 acts and even Diablo and Malthael barely drained my health. For equipment I prioritized toughness over anything else in every slot except for my weapon which I went for damage. I put diamonds in all slots except for weapon slot and that was usually a ruby. I'll list the skills I used and the upgrades I used for each.

:cross: - Primary - Punish - Rebirth

:r2: - Secondary - Shield Bash - Shield Cross

:square: - Defensive - Shield Glare - Divine Verdict

:triangle: - Conviction - Akarat's Champion - Prophet (Fire Starter until Prophet unlocks. Prophet provides 150% armor while active).

:circle: - Laws - Laws of Justice - Immovable Object (Massive armor boost for 5 seconds, level x100).

:r1: - Conviction (elective mode has to be turned on) - Heaven's Fury - Ascendancy).

Passive 1 - Fervor is using a 1h otherwise Heavenly Strength for using a 2h in one hand.

Passive 2 - Vigilant (Life regen and reduces all non-Physical damage by 20%).

Passive 3 - Fanaticism (Increases attack speed of your primary by 15%).