Bayonetta 2 Review Round Up

Venocide

I agree with most of the things you brought up. Except for "A game like bayonetta probably deserves a 6 or 6.5 because it is probably above average but isn't really anything you will remember 2 years from now". Sounds like you're just guessing to be honest. There's no way you can bring up those numbers just by seeing gameplay videos and trailers. And even then, like you said: the score system needs to go away.

Of course I am just guessing, but then again every reviewer out there is just guessing also. How can you apply a number to a series of opinions and thoughts. The answer is 'you can't'. I have played other games by the developer and they have all been solid games, but nothing I really talk about anymore (6 out of 10 games) so going by past experiences I kind of know what to expect from Bayonetta 2.

I think one of my favourite examples was from movie reviewer Alison GIlmore. Her whole review of Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban was negative. She kept complaining about every little thing. In the end she gave it 4 out of 5 stars. WHY? Because it is Harry Potter and no reviewer would dare give it a 1 or 2 out of 5 because then people would call her out on her opinions.

That is why the review system needs to go away.

• Like 1

For once, I'm not sure if I agree with you Parker. A review shouldn't be based on who likes the game. If the reviewer likes action games as a whole, surely he should be competent in giving a review.

Reviews should be looked apon as if it were for people who have never played the game. So if you find that its basically big boobs and ass with a bit of action thrown in then your score should reflect that. Reviews shouldnt really be done by fans of the game as a whole because either they will give it a great rating which may not be deserved, or a really bad rating because it doesnt live up to the sequel the writer believes it deserved.

For once, I'm not sure if I agree with you Parker. A review shouldn't be based on who likes the game. If the reviewer likes action games as a whole, surely he should be competent in giving a review.

Reviews should be looked apon as if it were for people who have never played the game. So if you find that its basically big boobs and ass with a bit of action thrown in then your score should reflect that. Reviews shouldnt really be done by fans of the game as a whole because either they will give it a great rating which may not be deserved, or a really bad rating because it doesnt live up to the sequel the writer believes it deserved.

I see what you're saying but again, I disagree. I want F1 2014 to be reviewed by an F1 fan, I already know I'm a fan of the sport so I don't want someone who isn't a fan of racing games to touch it. Most people nowadays have a pretty good idea whether or not they like a game or genre, especially if it is a sequel and with something like Bayonetta if you were a fan of the first game you're expecting the sequel to be even more sexual and over the top. That is something that most fans of the game enjoy (form what I understand by reading reviews and comments on the internet) so I think someone who enjoyed the first game would be more qualified to give an opinion on the sequel. They'd be able to tell newcomers why the game and combat is so special and they'd be able to tell fans exactly what is new, better and different about the sequel. 

Honestly though, I couldn't care less either way. The only reviewer I trust is Mark from Classic Game Room, I only use other reviews sites for their gameplay videos, I really don't care what they have to say. 

Parker

Great to see it getting awesome reviews, even if I generally don't think reviews are a be all end all thing.  Makes me wonder why it reportedly sold bad in Japan at launch.

Might just be because its on the Wii U, rather than the game itself. Then again i'm not sure how well the Wii U is doing in Japan.