Bayonetta 2 Review Round Up

Venocide

So many great scores! I've been considering getting a Wii U for a while, and this only makes me want to get one more, lol

lol of course Polygon would throw in the "this game is sexist" crap into their review score. I'm getting so sick of that kind of crap from reviews/journalists/game websites.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

10/10? Really? 10/10 should for the most part be impossible. 

9 to me, means "Absolutely brilliant"

10 to me, means "Borderline perfection you'll remember for decades" 

IMO, you should see 10's like once every couple of years.. 

I highly doubt Bayonetta 2 is perfect... 

Regardless, I'll probably buy and play once the wii u drops in price.

• Like 1

Polygon: I won't guess why the blatant over-sexualization is still there, often more intensely than before. But it causes an otherwise great game to require a much bigger mental compromise to enjoy.

Does it hurt being such a massive doucher, guy from Polygon? Why would this man choose or why would Polygon choose him to review this game when something like that offends him? A huge aspect of the game is the sexualization of Bayonetta, if you're offended by tits or ass you probably shouldn't pick this one up. 

Personally, I don't understand all the hype behind this game. I played the demo and while I found it enjoyable I didn't think it was really anything special. I honestly think that they lack of quality titles on the Wii U is part of the reason this has been getting such high scores. Regardless, I'll probably pick it up when it gets a price drop. Hopefully these reviews will make a lot of people pick the title up so other third part developers won't give Nintendo the shaft.

Parker

• Like 3

10/10? Really? 10/10 should for the most part be impossible. 

9 to me, means "Absolutely brilliant"

10 to me, means "Borderline perfection you'll remember for decades" 

IMO, you should see 10's like once every couple of years.. 

I highly doubt Bayonetta 2 is perfect... 

Regardless, I'll probably buy and play once the wii u drops in price.

Everyone sees 10s in different ways, on the site I review for (I will be reviewing Bayonetta too :)), we count 10 as excellent, but still acknowledge that no game is perfect.

Can't wait for this game, really liked what I played of the demo!

Polygon: I won't guess why the blatant over-sexualization is still there, often more intensely than before. But it causes an otherwise great game to require a much bigger mental compromise to enjoy.

Does it hurt being such a massive doucher, guy from Polygon? Why would this man choose or why would Polygon choose him to review this game when something like that offends him? A huge aspect of the game is the sexualization of Bayonetta, if you're offended by tits or ass you probably shouldn't pick this one up. 

Personally, I don't understand all the hype behind this game. I played the demo and while I found it enjoyable I didn't think it was really anything special. I honestly think that they lack of quality titles on the Wii U is part of the reason this has been getting such high scores. Regardless, I'll probably pick it up when it gets a price drop. Hopefully these reviews will make a lot of people pick the title up so other third part developers won't give Nintendo the shaft.

Parker

I think it's the way she's portrayed. The guy probably saw this gif and thinks she is being mistreated. 

bayo27qq6a.gif

Polygon: I won't guess why the blatant over-sexualization is still there, often more intensely than before. But it causes an otherwise great game to require a much bigger mental compromise to enjoy.[/size]

Parker

It sounds just like the review for Dragon's Crown and having a problem with the sexualization a character, which doesn't make the reviewer a "doucher." Everyone has different tastes when it comes to the fan-service they prefer as I don't like the sexualization from most of the games from Compile Hearts. Since Bayonetta has a bigger emphasis on her sex appeal then it might deter some people away; however, the reviewer also praised the game for being a good spectacle-fighter. Essentially the reviewer criticized the game for an aesthetic he didn't like but praised the gameplay.

• Like 1

It sounds just like the review for Dragon's Crown and having a problem with the sexualization a character, which doesn't make the reviewer a "doucher." Everyone has different tastes when it comes to the fan-service they prefer as I don't like the sexualization from most of the games from Compile Hearts. Since Bayonetta has a bigger emphasis on her sex appeal then it might deter some people away; however, the reviewer also praised the game for being a good spectacle-fighter. Essentially the reviewer criticized the game for an aesthetic he didn't like but praised the gameplay.

I can understand not liking the sexualization of a character, I don't find it particularly appealing myself. However complaining about Bayonetta being over sexualized is like going to Subway and complaining about foot long sandwiches or going to Arby's and bitching about roast beef. It is part of what makes the game Bayonetta and if the reviewer takes offense to that then I would say they chose the wrong person to review the game. Plus it always seems to be Polygon that makes comments like that, they really come across with a holier than thou attitude, in my opinion. 

Parker

I can understand not liking the sexualization of a character, I don't find it particularly appealing myself. However complaining about Bayonetta being over sexualized is like going to Subway and complaining about foot long sandwiches or going to Arby's and bitching about roast beef. It is part of what makes the game Bayonetta and if the reviewer takes offense to that then I would say they chose the wrong person to review the game. Plus it always seems to be Polygon that makes comments like that, they really come across with a holier than thou attitude, in my opinion. 

Parker

No it just makes sense.. if one guy at the company hates over sexulization... don't give a fucking bayonetta game to him, common sense. 

And honestly, if he can't be at least somewhat professional and remain neutral enough to put personal grievances aside, he shouldn't be reviewing games in the first place, he's a total fucking amateur.

Review the game for what it brings to the table to gamers everywhere and it's genre.. not for things that "make you as an individual happy or unhappy" .. sure he can mention it as a little sidenote.. like.. "hey if you're a bitch who can't stomach sexy characters and human anatomy, this game isn't for you, also while you're there, don't watch TV ads or go outside, because men and women alike are overly sexualized.. so get a fucking grip".. a sidenote like that would be acceptable.. but allowing something like that to take away from the score is honestly so beyond fucking pathetic and just extremely childish and amateur. 

It's like watching a Saw film and crying about the gore and saying umm 5 out of 10.. too much blood..

Jesus fucking christ, dumb people everywhere, who gave this asshat a job? For real, he's awful.. 

Review the game for it's story and mechanics.. instead of looking for things that personally offend you. 

It's unbelievable to think he actually got paid for this.

And that's why I don't go to game review sites, they're always to quick to push their shitty fucking agendas down your throat. 

Edited by Kukyona

Everyone sees 10s in different ways, on the site I review for (I will be reviewing Bayonetta too :)), we count 10 as excellent, but still acknowledge that no game is perfect.

Can't wait for this game, really liked what I played of the demo!

But 10 is a perfect score. Really no game should get a 10 and if it does it should be something that pushed all the boundaries and invented new ones.

A 9 should really only be given to games that will stand the test of time because that is a near perfect score.

I think too many reviewers are afraid to give a 7 or 8 or even worse a 6. A 6 out of 10 is an above average score (since 5 is considered average). A game like Bayonetta probally deserves a 6 or 6.5 score because it is probably above average but isn't really anything you will remember 2 years from now.

It is why the whole out of 10 score system needs to go away and instead reviewers should just write a review and let the points they bring up influence readers (as opposed to some obituary number slapped on to the end of the review)

• Like 1

I honestly think it deserves those Hi-Scores, a game doesn't need to have many factors nor does it have to be everyone's cup of tea to be perfect, or simply amazing.

I'm more than happy to buy this game when it comes out, because you can't have too many Bay-O's xD

Edited by Noiz-chan

A 10 shouldn't be impossible to get, neither should it mean perfect. If an 8 is great, 9 is amazing, I'd say 10 is a masterpiece.

An example of a 10 in my opinion would be Deus Ex human revolution. Even though it's got it's problems and isn't perfect , I'd still say it's a masterpiece.

Edited by Saltyie

Man, people are pissed about that Polygon review.  You guys do realize that the reviewer isn't bound to be the only one who would be upset by the game's sexualization, right?  Naturally not everyone is going to agree with the score;  I definitely think it's a notch or two too low for all the praise he gave the gameplay, but I get where he's coming from.

Man, people are pissed about that Polygon review.  You guys do realize that the reviewer isn't bound to be the only one who would be upset by the game's sexualization, right?  Naturally not everyone is going to agree with the score;  I definitely think it's a notch or two too low for all the praise he gave the gameplay, but I get where he's coming from.

Yes, but then why was he chosen to review the game? I'm not a fan of RTS games, if I worked for Polygon I wouldn't be the guy who should be chosen to review RTS games. If he is so offended by a game that is meant to be over the top and sexual then he, in my opinion, isn't the right person to review the game. Oh, and I don't think anyone is "pissed," I think there are just quite a few people who think it was a piss poor review. 

I also doubt people who are interested in Bayonetta are going to be offended or surprised by the sexual nature of the game, it shouldn't even be brought up in the discussion because it is a huge part of the game. This isn't the first review that someone from Polygon has mentioned something about women being sexualized in gaming and at this point I feel like it is them trying to make a point more than anything else. 

A 10 shouldn't be impossible to get, neither should it mean perfect. If an 8 is great, 9 is amazing, I'd say 10 is a masterpiece.

An example of a 10 in my opinion would be Deus Ex human revolution. Even though it's got it's problems and isn't perfect , I'd still say it's a masterpiece.

I agree with that. No game is or ever will be perfect so the notion that a 10 should only be given to perfect games is silly. 

Parker

But 10 is a perfect score. Really no game should get a 10 and if it does it should be something that pushed all the boundaries and invented new ones.

A 9 should really only be given to games that will stand the test of time because that is a near perfect score.

I think too many reviewers are afraid to give a 7 or 8 or even worse a 6. A 6 out of 10 is an above average score (since 5 is considered average). A game like Bayonetta probally deserves a 6 or 6.5 score because it is probably above average but isn't really anything you will remember 2 years from now.

It is why the whole out of 10 score system needs to go away and instead reviewers should just write a review and let the points they bring up influence readers (as opposed to some obituary number slapped on to the end of the review)

That's what reviewers do, the scores are only really for TL;DR people.  I can tell you my reviews are so in depth that the score doesn't even make sense when I come to it (which is just a random number in the end of the day which I think would relate to what I written).

I forget when the original Bayonetta came out, but that is still one of my most memorable and favorite games til this day (and I don't think the original even got as good scores as this).

Yes, but then why was he chosen to review the game? I'm not a fan of RTS games, if I worked for Polygon I wouldn't be the guy who should be chosen to review RTS games. If he is so offended by a game that is meant to be over the top and sexual then he, in my opinion, isn't the right person to review the game. Oh, and I don't think anyone is "pissed," I think there are just quite a few people who think it was a piss poor review. 

That's just it, though, he didn't review an RTS game.  He reviewed an action game, and comparing him reviewing Bayonetta 2 to "reviewing an RTS game as yourself" is an apples to oranges comparison.  As far as him being the "right" person for the job, it's a null point.  Like I said before, he's not going to be the only person in the world who is put off by Bayonetta's sexualization. 

• Like 1

I agree with most of the things you brought up. Except for "A game like bayonetta probably deserves a 6 or 6.5 because it is probably above average but isn't really anything you will remember 2 years from now". Sounds like you're just guessing to be honest. There's no way you can bring up those numbers just by seeing gameplay videos and trailers. And even then, like you said: the score system needs to go away.

That's just it, though, he didn't review an RTS game.  He reviewed an action game, and comparing him reviewing Bayonetta 2 to "reviewing an RTS game as yourself" is an apples to oranges comparison.  As far as him being the "right" person for the job, it's a null point.  Like I said before, he's not going to be the only person in the world who is put off by Bayonetta's sexualization. 

I highly doubt Bayonetta's target audience is going to be put off by the sexualization in the game and I personally feel the person who reviews a game should be the target audience for the game. I don't think I've ever heard a Bayonetta fan ever say the game is too sexual for them. However, I do see where you're coming from even if I disagree with it. 

Parker

• Like 1