Brand new PS4 turning off after two minutes

Intresseklubben

Hey guys,

I just got my PS4 today and was feeling really excited. I plugged it in and put it on my shelf next to my PS3.

When i was in the process of logging in with my ID for the first time it clicked once. The screen went all fuzzy and 

it turned off. I restarted the console again and it went in to safe mode and logged back in. I got to about the same 

place as before and it shut off again. Half the time it doesn't even respond to me pushing on it. Again this one is brand new.

Is it my outlets fault? Or is it just broken? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I smell something burning now, maybe it's fried already.

Edited by Intresseklubben

Yep, give Sony a ring and get it replaced or bring it back to the store you bought it from if they have a decent return policy. Unfortunately some consoles get damaged during shipping or in the manufacturing process so while rare, a console can be broken before you even turn it on. 

It probably has nothing to do with your current issues but when you get your new PS4 make sure it has plenty of space for proper ventilation. That can kill a console pretty damn quick too. 

Parker

I bought it at an internet shop that is only based in my country. (Sweden) I just found out that they have very lousy costumer support as well. I'm thinking about going straight to SONY about it.

10-4. In that case it seems like Sony would definitely be your best bet. Sucks you had to go through this though, hopefully Sony will resolve it quickly and you'll be able to enjoy a proper PS4. 

Parker

Mine did the same but it was during playing a game and a week after i got it. I then started it up again and it immediately turned off again and showed no life whatsoever. I could also then smell a little burning. I returned it to the store i bought it from but it sucks for you seeing you got it online. So you tried calling the online store but they were lousy? Surely they'd have to send you a new one?

Mine did the same but it was during playing a game and a week after i got it. I then started it up again and it immediately turned off again and showed no life whatsoever. I could also then smell a little burning. I returned it to the store i bought it from but it sucks for you seeing you got it online. So you tried calling the online store but they were lousy? Surely they'd have to send you a new one?

I had the same problem with mine as you did. Mine really smelled like something had burned up in it. I'm going to call Sony tomorrow and hopefully they can help me. 

This is one of those scenarios where I hope people realize the benefit of a (decently) local store with good service. This doesn't happen to a significant percentage of people, but the convenience of being able to go back, exchange and let the store handle the interaction with the manufacturer is pretty nice. Between the wait, the handling of the deliverer and the worry of if something will go wrong, any of my significant purchases I try to do locally. I have to be saving a significant percentage of the purchase price to order something online.

That said, Sony has been really good about handling any issues directly, so I'm sure they'll resolve your issues quickly. And as a side note, please TRY to give the site you ordered from the CHANCE to make it right. Worst case scenario, you know to never give them your money again and you have a first-hand story to tell others why to stay away. Best case scenario, they delight you with resolving your issue quickly and with very little inconvenience. Either way, find a review site to post your experience (just the facts, please) so others are informed about what a terrible/great experience you had.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be gaming on your PS4 soon.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah unfortunate indeed! I'd tend to stick with a very trusted supplier for something this expensive but of course good deals can be found and sometimes the risk pays off. Sorry to hear of your issue. I got worried when mine started ejecting discs at random but I blame the wife. It always happened when she was using it, henceforth her fault! lol

Wow that's pretty bad news mate, probably best to get your money back or take it back to the store for a full refund ...or take advantage of the warranty? that's the last option if the store you purchased it from doesn't help.

Edited by wrafix