Face-Off: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

On balance, United Front Games succeeds in creating the ultimate edition of its open-world crime drama, giving PS4 and Xbox One owners the most eye-catching console release so far. The only snag is that, in aspiring to the PC's top-end visual standard, the struggling 20-30fps performance is a high price to pay for this luxury. And with visible tearing creeping in too, the current-gen console experience doesn't feel quite as definitive as we'd hoped.

Compared to PC, the only visible console-side sacrifices are the lower-grade ambient occlusion - appearing faintly more intrusive on Xbox One - and a more prominent depth of field effect. But between the Sony and Microsoft releases, PS4's main advantage is undeniably on the performance front; Xbox One hitting the bottom end of the 20-30fps band during our tests, while segments of play unfold at 25fps at its worst on PS4.

The end result is that only the new PC version lives up to its Definitive Edition moniker. But are its extra touches worth the extra money for owners of the original PC release? While the broadened draw distances are a major plus, we'd argue many other tweaks are simply too subtle to justify another expense. Edits to character model designs, upped object density and new city atmospherics are welcome. But it's fair to say, for most developers, much of this falls into the territory of a courtesy, free post-release patch.

Be that as it may, for those arriving from the heavily stunted Xbox 360 and PS3 versions to this new release, it's a whole new world. On top of the ramp up in city detail, the Definitive Edition's inclusion of DLC missions, such as Nightmare in North Point, bolster the package's overall value. Neither PS4 nor Xbox One deliver the perfect playthrough - but if you can turn a blind eye to its performance lurches, there's still plenty to enjoy here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-face-off?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Money well spent when you still have massive performance issue just like with PS3 and 360.

Wait a second....so this game being the supposed "definitive edition" is having frame rate issues? Oh dear, oh dear. I'm glad I didn't buy it at launch...I'm sure it'll get better with a patch in the future but that isn't good enough really, just proof of a rushed money grab port.

Wait a second....so this game being the supposed "definitive edition" is having frame rate issues? Oh dear, oh dear. I'm glad I didn't buy it at launch...I'm sure it'll get better with a patch in the future but that isn't good enough really, just proof of a rushed money grab port.

It's to be expected when sales for this game and TR reboot didn't sell to SquarEnix's lofty expectations. So now you get some shoddy preforming remasters to justify charging people close to the regular edition's original  $60 price tag.  All in order to cash on those nextgen sales without having to spend more making making a sequel for the time being. :|

Edited by kidhero99

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Why does the "Definitive" Edition have such horrible screen tearing? Why does it look WORSE than the original releases (granted I last played it about three years ago on 360 but I don't remember it looking THAT bad)? Why does the whole game not download initially, leaving you to play one or two missions then kick you back to the menu to "install" the remaining 10GB? Why not just do this BEFORE I FUCKING START THE GAME? You know, like every other downloadable game? I hear even the DISC version has this problem, too. This is completely inexcusable. It's amazing just how much they botched this port. This whole PLAY WHILE IT'S DOWNLOADING nonsense is just complete crap to mislead you into thinking you can play the game all the while just kicking you back and forcing you to leave the game open to download the rest of it, with no option to change this into a regular download (i.e. downloading the whole thing before you're able to start it).

I mean Jesus fucking Christ. 

Why does the "Definitive" Edition have such horrible screen tearing? Why does it look WORSE than the original releases (granted I last played it about three years ago on 360 but I don't remember it looking THAT bad)? Why does the whole game not download initially, leaving you to play one or two missions then kick you back to the menu to "install" the remaining 10GB? Why not just do this BEFORE I FUCKING START THE GAME? You know, like every other downloadable game? I hear even the DISC version has this problem, too. This is completely inexcusable. It's amazing just how much they botched this port. This whole PLAY WHILE IT'S DOWNLOADING nonsense is just complete crap to mislead you into thinking you can play the game all the while just kicking you back and forcing you to leave the game open to download the rest of it, with no option to change this into a regular download (i.e. downloading the whole thing before you're able to start it).

I mean Jesus fucking Christ. 

LOL calm down.....but seriously i understand where you coming from but I've platinumed both the ps3 and ps4 versions. One of my top games besides the problems but we've had worse