The importance of customizing... stuff

Mr_Freaker

How important (or not important) do you find the ability to customize your game one way or the other?

Examples of customizing stuff:

• Your physical appearance including looks, clothing, voice, ...  (Saints Row, Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age ....)
  • Your race (Oblvion/Skyrim, ...)
  • Your weapons (Borderlands, Army of Two, Fallout New Vegas, ...)
  • Your cars (any racing game)
  • Your house (Sims, ...)

I'm not talking about customizing the story as you see fit (Fallout, Mass Effect, ...) or playstyles (Metro Last Light...)

I really couldn't care less about physical customization in games, but for my racing sims you must be able to tune and customize setups. Also, playing shooters I feel it is necessary to be able to customize your class, weapon attachments and such but aside from that it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. 

Parker

" Your physical appearance including looks , clothing , voice , ..." would be my first choice , people like to look unique. Usually when u find a game where u can change your weapons and race you can change your appearance too , but many games only let you change your physical appearance and that is enough , that is an evidence how players give more importance to the physical appearance of their character than the other options and developers use it .

Ofc it depends of the game sometimes :blah:  if i am playing a racing game i wont care about my character's appearance , i probably won't even be able to see my character when driving...or others.

Most times in the shooters that is not important too , rather editing classes or the weapons,

Edited by BUwUNY

Two words.  Saints Row.  What made 3 and 4 (those are the only two I've played) so much fun was the character customization.  It was absolutely insane all the options that game gave you.  As a close second, the car customization in the game was also a nice feature.

It depends on the game.I really like this kind of features,especially in a RPG,but often non-customizable characters offer a more story focused game.

Agreed.  Take Final Fantasy, for example.  I've only played the XIII trilogy, but if it had allowed for character customization (race, gender, etc.) they wouldn't have been able to tell the same story.  The game wouldn't have been what it is.  Character customization definitely works with the right game model.

• Like 1

For games like Skyrim or Dragon Age it's very important since those are heavy on the immersion. Although I give up on messing with customizing noses and chins. I can never get those right and they always look weird.

For race it depends. I'm never really diverse when it comes to races and I almost always pick the most human looking one.

Customizing weapons is also something I like, especially when you find a way to make a weapon OP. Unless you meant aesthetically, then I don't mind that much.

Very important, I love customization so the more the better. I would still play a game without any customization, but I often feel a bit bummed if I notice things that could have been customizable.

I feel the same way pretty much, at least in games like Saints Row, MMOS, and rpgs. I often spend hours on making my character just the way I want.

• Like 1

Very important to me, I play a lot of RPG and MMORPG, and I think I can spend up to half an hour trying to get the exact look I want for my character. And another half an hour or so to figure out a name I would go with if the usual names I use are taken.