National Football League 2011 Thread

cmgravekeeper

As football is probably one of the most popular sports in the US....I think it definately deserves a thread....what are your opinions on the current lockout and stuff....?....and what are your favorite teams.....

I'm a Jets fan all the way....they've almost reached the SuperBowl twice....I hope they reach it this year..... :(

And I'm pretty sure the lockout will be cleared up soon....I know the players are delaying talks at the moment but I'm sure things should be fixed before the season starts....there's too much money involved for everyone to let this continue into the season.....

Awesome that the lockout is officially over. :D Hopefully my Bears will repeat the success the had last year. I personally think Cutler is a wuss and I'd actually rather see their 3rd string QB Caleb Haney get to start.

However, the NFC North is gonna be a tough division to be in this next year, and later into the future as well. The Packers will be great once again this season with Aaron Rodgers leading the charge, and I think the Lions have a very good shot at making the playoffs if they can get themselves a decent QB. So we'll see how this season pans out. :D

A lot of big moves are happening at the moment.

• The Patriots traded for Chad Ochocinco and acquired Albert Haynesworth
  • Kevin Kolb was traded to Arizona for Antonio Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round draft pick for next year.
  • Saints acquire Darren Sproles.
  • Reggie Bush is taking his talents to South Beach as he is going to play for the Dolphins.
  • Chiefs sign WR Steve Breaston to a 5-year deal.
  • Jets re-sign Santonio Holmes to a 5-year contract.
  • Matt Hasselbeck is signed by the Titans.
  • Seattle signs WR Sidney Rice to a 5-year deal.
  • Redskins send Donovan McNabb to Minnesota in exchange for draft picks.
  • Panthers re-sign DeAngelo Williams to a 5-year deal.
  • Seahawks sign Tavaris Jackson to a 2 year-deal.

Yup, there's been quite a lot of moves made so far. As for my Bears, we stupidly traded away Greg Olsen for a 3rd round draft pick, but we're currently trying to sign Roy Williams.

Awesome that the lockout is officially over. :D Hopefully my Bears will repeat the success the had last year. I personally think Cutler is a wuss and I'd actually rather see their 3rd string QB Caleb Haney get to start.

You try playing with sprained ligaments in your knee. Then you can talk about people being a wuss. I think most you you people forget that Cutler got sacked the most in the league because of that crappy O-line the Bears had. He missed a game because he had a concussion also. Cutler would have better numbers, if that line wasn't so bad. I think Cutler is a crybaby or whatever, but he did try to play, but just couldn't. And he probably would have damaged his knee even more and he probably would have missed the entire season, if not most of it. 'Fans' need to know what they're talking before they say anything. If you get blasted 50+ times by guys that are 300+ pounds, you'd struggle too. I don't care you are.

Like Maurice Jones-Drew was one of those players that talked. Because of his stupid ass trying to be tough and playing through an injury, he ended up missing the last 2 games of last year, and the Jags could have made the playoffs. I'm just glad I can see the Browns play. I'm not expecting much, but at least I can watch football :)

You try playing with sprained ligaments in your knee. Then you can talk about people being a wuss. I think most you you people forget that Cutler got sacked the most in the league because of that crappy O-line the Bears had. He missed a game because he had a concussion also. Cutler would have better numbers, if that line wasn't so bad. I think Cutler is a crybaby or whatever, but he did try to play, but just couldn't. And he probably would have damaged his knee even more and he probably would have missed the entire season, if not most of it. 'Fans' need to know what they're talking before they say anything. If you get blasted 50+ times by guys that are 300+ pounds, you'd struggle too. I don't care you are.

Like Maurice Jones-Drew was one of those players that talked. Because of his stupid ass trying to be tough and playing through an injury, he ended up missing the last 2 games of last year, and the Jags could have made the playoffs. I'm just glad I can see the Browns play. I'm not expecting much, but at least I can watch football :)

I'm sorry, but the guys gets paid millions of dollars to throw a football around, and he can't even do that in the biggest game the Bears have been in in years?! The Bears staff said he could play if he wanted to, but he just didn't want to. Being a Chicago Bear always meant that you were rough and tough, but Cutler is the exact opposite of that. Sure he gets sacked a ton, and sure he was banged up, but a Bear doesn't chicken out of a big game like Cutler did. Lovie Smith even said he would've let Cutler go back in if he wanted to.

• Like 1

Some pretty big news here: Randy Moss decided to retire after playing 13 seasons in the NFL. I was never a fan of Moss, mostly because of his attitude and personality, but I do have to admit that he was a great wide receiver, and will probably earn a spot in the hall of fame in the future.

Moss was the 'Selective SuperStar'.

Also, Osi Umenyiora is no longer allowed to look for trades.

osi needs to shut his damn mouth and play for the g-men...son of a bitch coughlin...hes a great player, should have never SEEN that bench last year...unless tommy boy does something this year, i want him out...i liked him, but he may be overdoing his stay

Well the Jets got Plaxico Burress....hopefully he's still got it in him....

I think Burress could be a wild card player on the Jets. His personality isn't a fantastic one, but then again, that means he fits in pretty well with all the other players on that team. :P However, he has been out of the league for about 4 years now, so he could be pretty rusty.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm likely the lone Jags fan here, but I'm looking forward to checking out how Gabbert performs vs. Garrard tonight. Hopefully Gabbert will get a chance to run with/against the No. 1's. There's a QB competition brewing which should be fun to see unfold. Rumor has it Gabbert has a 50/50 shot at starting Week 1.

• 4 weeks later...

Gabbert should be starting, with Garrard gone and the back up getting his ass kicked. They play the Panthers next, and the Panthers have a weak defense. Look for Gabbert to start.

Good call, Gabbert was named the starter today. Carolina is a good team to get his feet wet as it tougher when the Jags host the Saints Week 4. I'm a little nervous of the comparisons to Cam Newton he'll endure this week and following the game (I think the Panthers win), but I have a feeling the kid will hold his own.

• 3 weeks later...

Gabbert's done pretty well for a rookie.

We'll see what he does against the weakened Pittsburgh defense.

And he'll face Baltimore on a Monday night the week after... o_O

I know it's not the right move, but I'm quietly hoping the Jags make a move for Brandon Lloyd. Any receiving help, at this point, would be a good thing.