Sony's customer service is quite poor according to GameStyle!

ZeroXOF

Part of the article:

"It recently came to Gamestyle’s attention that once again a PSN user has been hacked and had stuff purchased against their account. 

This should be a simple case of reporting it, getting the content bought revoked and finally refunded the funds stolen, right? Well not if you are a Playstation User."

Read more on Gamestyle's piece on: http://gamestyle.com/feature/sony-out-of-pocket/

My thoughts? Damn, Sony. 16 millions consoles sold but your security is so poor. Also this happen on PSN, which means Sony's whole system is easy to bypass. I would take this article with a grain of salt tho, some people do like to make up stories but this one kinda seems true.  

• Like 1

The status CasaDeBen posted a while ago begs to differ  :hmm:

It's kind of possible considering the film and gaming side of Sony are the biggest areas to hit at the moment. I really do hope 2015 Sony double bolts up on security, the customer service is decent but 2015 needs serious improvements from them. 

Individual user accounts don't get hacked. The guy likely used "password" as the password, or some other easily-guessed login. That's not hacking, that's punishing the stupid and it's not Sony's fault if you're an idiot.

It's up to us, the users, to secure our PSN accounts by being smart about it. Don't let anyone know your email address, date-of-birth, hometown or god forbid...your password. And make the password hard to guess by not using dictionary words, birthdates or nicknames.

Also in the case you do get hacked, instead of contacting Sony, contact your bank or credit card company to halt any futher purchases

P.S. This is why I only use PSN cards

Part of the article:

"It recently came to Gamestyle’s attention that once again a PSN user has been hacked and had stuff purchased against their account. 

This should be a simple case of reporting it, getting the content bought revoked and finally refunded the funds stolen, right? Well not if you are a Playstation User."

Read more on Gamestyle's piece on: http://gamestyle.com/feature/sony-out-of-pocket/

My thoughts? Damn, Sony. 16 millions consoles sold but your security is so poor. Also this happen on PSN, which means Sony's whole system is easy to bypass. I would take this article with a grain of salt tho, some people do like to make up stories but this one kinda seems true.  

Well, some day I might be crying about my account getting hacked seeing how easy it is to hack Sony's stuff :lol:

If this sort of thing happens to you, you should tell your bank, not just the company that sold the service.

A similar thing happened to me with a cable provider here in the UK - Virgin Media for those who care.

I had been paying on my personal account. When my wife and I moved in together I switched the paying account to our joint account. A couple of months later, I noticed that payments to VM were still coming out of my personal account, as well as the joint one.

I thought that there must have been a simple mistake, like maybe they had moved the direct debit to our joint account but forgot to remove it from my personal account, and called VM. They looked up the account number I gave them from my bank statements, and asked whether I had agreed to pay anyone else's bills!

I said no. Like Sony in the case linked by OP above, VM refused to let me have details of the person taking money from my account. They told me to go to my bank and make an appointment to sort this all out.

So I did. My bank stopped the payments and issued some sort of request against VM for a refund. This came through the next day. It is then a case for VM to chase down the fraudster if they want to.

Moral of the story - card fraud is most easily dealt with through the bank that issued your card. I agree that Sony should be doing more to protect its users though, and it doesn't sound to me like their terms of service in this instance would be enforceable here in the UK.

Edit: I've now listened to the call, and I sympathise with Sony's position, but their policy is still really unfair on the consumer.

And by the way, apparently Shadow of Mordor is a really shitty and inferior port on PS3. He should try and get the refund under the "defective" policy next!  :P

2nd Edit: Having looked at other reports of this issue, it appears that the guy already had funds in his PSN Wallet, so all my comments about contacting your bank wouldn't apply.

Sony's policy if you did contact your bank and obtained a refund via them appears to be just as anti-consumer. Some commenters on other sites say that Sony would then consider your account to be in default and suspend it. So take things up with your bank at your own risk I guess.

Overall, their Ts&Cs look really unfair and I doubt they'd stand up to legal challenge.

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 2

I can definitely agree , when my old account was banned i was given a very brief explanation 

with no other information and when i did call the service provided was extremely poor 

eventually they stopped replying to my emails and as a playstation fan with my old account being held for 4 years 

with tons of trophies ..... i was very disappointed .