How big is the world of Dragon Age really

I'm about 9 hours into my first playthrough. I'm playing on Normal and playing as a female elven warrior. Anyway, I'm still attempting to explore The Hinterlands. I've explored just over 50% and discovered about 16 of the 29 locations in The Hinterlands. Anyway, I'm just wondering if every region in Inquisition is as big as the Hinterlands or even bigger. I'm also currently at level 6 and am still doing The Threat Remains, even though most of my time is getting taken up with side-quests.

Well there are 10 large areas (others are dungeons, cities, your home base) and not all are quite as large as the Hinterlands. Some consist of less open areas, more mountainous regions, places you should avoid (the swamps of the Fallow Mire) or obviously can't explore (the sizeable ocean of the Storm Coast). Personally I think the Hinterlands was the largest single area but every zone has more than enough to do and places to explore, and in the end, when you put all 10 side by side and consider the overall scale, it becomes clear just how large the game's world is.

How does its size compare to skyrim ? 

Kinda hard to compare since it' not one big open world but rather many separate open worlds. 

I'd say it's slightly smaller than Skyrim but there's some more variety in terms of environments.

The combined playable area is massive. Whereas Skyrim has more actual space, much of it is empty wilderness where you'll occasionally run across a bear or some wildlife. Most of inquisition has something going on in it (with the exception of the Hissing Wastes). There is a lot to do in the game, and even through some of the quests are repetitive, it's still more enjoyable than Skyrim. I finished my first playthrough at 150 hours. But I'm the type to engage in every single conversation and search every corner. I wish I would played on Nightmare because Hard was pretty easy. My next play will be much faster, I presume, since I'll be skipping much of the side content. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The combined playable area is massive. Whereas Skyrim has more actual space, much of it is empty wilderness where you'll occasionally run across a bear or some wildlife. Most of inquisition has something going on in it (with the exception of the Hissing Wastes). There is a lot to do in the game, and even through some of the quests are repetitive, it's still more enjoyable than Skyrim. I finished my first playthrough at 150 hours. But I'm the type to engage in every single conversation and search every corner. I wish I would played on Nightmare because Hard was pretty easy. My next play will be much faster, I presume, since I'll be skipping much of the side content. 

I agree, I myself ended up finishing my first playthrough after 170 hours after what I feel everything the game had to offer.