Terrorists Using War Games to Plot Attacks?

Chambers35

Just recently posted this on the "other" site and thought I should let you guys know about it as well. I'm just going to copy what I posted there. Wasn't sure where to post it as it's not just one console.

-------

It's common knowledge that law enforcement around the world monitor phone calls, emails, and other various communication methods to try and catch out any plots of terrorism and take action before their plans come into action, and this is also known by Terrorists. Now it seems they have started to use online gaming as a means to chat privately without anyone listening in. Apparently Battlefield and Call of Duty games are the game being used the most to do so, but the Medal of Honour and Halo series' are also suspected of being used.

The terrorists are using the games by making private lobbies that can only be accessed via invite from another player, or a password, making them quite a secure means of chatting to each other. There is also evidence showing that war games are being used part of their training, similar to how pilots use flight simulators.

Here are some quotes from various sources:

"It's a terrifying reality. These people waste no time finding a secure method of chatting."

"They are logging into group games over the internet and discussing terror plots. Security people know about it."

"For millions who love these games this will be a huge shock."

"To think fanatics use them for their own ends is a real worry."

With the increasing popularity of the video game industry, and especially FPS games, there are now fears that these games are being used by a growing number of criminals and terrorists.

"Last night government sources said police and spy chiefs were already responding to the threat."

Souce: The Sun

Thanks to Connie for the news

And no, this isn't news about them playing war games, it's to do with the fact that they're using lobbies as a way of communicating in private.

• Like 1

No Offence Chambers, but The Sun is hardly known for honest reporting.

For instance: "Kids fave keeps their plots secret." Yeah I know kids play it, but its a game meant for 18+. The Sun is also well known for its hate and lack of understanding towards Video Games.

It's red top propapganda at its finest... I'd love to know who these "sources" are.

I'm not saying it doesnt happen, but it sounds like a slow news day to me.

EDIT: Thats 2 threads in 2 days, I've disagreed with you on. :( Post some breasts, or police chases, I always agree with that stuff! ;)

• Like 2

No Offence Chambers, but The Sun is hardly known for honest reporting.

For instance: "Kids fave keeps their plots secret." Yeah I know kids play it, but its a game meant for 18+. The Sun is also well known for its hate and lack of understanding towards Video Games.

It's red top propapganda at its finest... I'd love to know who these "sources" are.

I'm not saying it doesnt happen, but it sounds like a slow news day to me.

Well I don't really pay attention to news papers anyway so I wouldn't know which are reliable or not. But I don't doubt the fact that this could be a load of rubbish.

It didn't give any information on the sources, except the line that said "government sources".

I suppose we will only know if this is true or not when and if things start to happen.

Well I don't really pay attention to news papers anyway so I wouldn't know which are reliable or not. But I don't doubt the fact that this could be a load of rubbish.

It didn't give any information on the sources, except the line that said "government sources".

I suppose we will only know if this is true or not when and if things start to happen.

Sorry chap, the "sources" comment is directed at the red tops, not you personally.

Perhaps any jokes relating to the terrorists actually playing the war games would have bad taste.

Interesting read, but based on what AF says, I'm not going to buy in on it just yet.

While I know some security manners with phone calls can lead to calls getting monitered by keywords, many of those suspected key words would be a usual in a call of duty game.