Can anyone tell me anything about The Witcher 3?

Not sure the best way to describe it... I only logged like 5-10 hours into The Witcher 2 on Steam, so maybe I'm not the best person to do it... but I guess a quick answer would be that it's like a slightly less difficult Dark Souls with an actual story.  NPC hubs, characters, dialog, the occasional plot twist and decisions that actually have consequences... that kinda stuff.

The Witcher 3 looks to be open world though, go anywhere, do anything.  The Witcher 2 had more constricted maps/zones/dungeons in the bit I played.  The combat has always been a bit clunky and repetitive as well, which is hopefully something they continue to improve on with the third game.

Edited by Dreakon13

[This is based on my experience with the first 2 games]

First of all it's a 3rd person single character ARPG.

You have your fixed character, Geralt. No gender choice, face customization, no class selection, nothing.

Geralt is an enhanced human (trough alchemy) created to be a witcher, a monster hunter.

Basically, both Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 revolved around a major quest-line and for each location you visited you had access to various side quests, usually all involving supernatural creatures. All of it surrounded by intrigues and love conquests (Geralt is some kind of super human gigolo too).

The combat is peculiar compared to most other games because the enemies can and will swarm you attacking all together and from every direction. You will not see enemies surround you and calmly wait for their turn to die 1 vs 1 against you.

To deal with them Geralt is equipped with 2 swords. A silver sword strong against monsters and a steel sword to deal with human thugs.

In previous games he could swing them around in 2 fashions, light and heavy, to create nice acrobatic combos.

He can also power up himself with potions, but contrary to 99% of other games, potions can't be used during combat. After you create them you can drink them during a brief meditation scene and then go off in combat. This make the whole thing a bit more strategic, meaning that you have to carefully choose what potions you might need in your next figt.

And potions have toxic side effects, meaning that you can drink usually max 3 potions at a time.

But this is not everything Geralt has in his arsenal. While whitchers are not mages, they have access to some basic magic they can conjure with hand gestures. These "signs" can produce fire, or energy shields and other fancy stuff useful for combat, but some of them can also be used (Witcher 2) during conversations akin to jedi mind tricks ("These are not the droids you are looking for").

What's more Geralt has a talent tree that can be used to make him more proficient in combat, magic and alchemy.

The world areas are usually fun to explore and very rich and detailed. And while playing, your choice can make either small or big differences in how the story plays (especially in Witcher 2, where a portion of the story can be played from 2 different sides).

The main plot is also usually interesting as some of the side quests (while other can be simple bounty hunt quests to kill monsters, still fun, but well, no plot involved).

Witcher 2 also introduced weapon and armor crafting that I expect will return in the sequel.

Oh and Witcher 1 had a fun mechanics where killing specific unique monsters granted ingredients to craft permanently enhancing potions.

While Witcher 2 had a mechanic where specific actions would grant permanent bonuses. For example being able to sneak undetected at night during a quest would grant a permanent +2 regen at night bonus, or examining a dead body during another quest would grant +10% damage against humans.

So I can surely hope we'll have something interesting along these lines in Witcher 3 too.

And the developers up to now listened to fans and fiexd a lot of problems Witcher 1 had and added a lot (a LOT) of content in both games for free.

• Like 2

A little more background info: The Witcher is based of a novel by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. The developer of the game is CD PROJECT RED, and they're also Polish. In my opinion one of the few genuine independent studios left at this time. Like DocDoom said they really listen to their fans and don't cave in to pressure from the industry. Just read the article here for some insight on them.

Edited by Ric

I remember there is a YouTube video introducing the background of The Witcher series. You can search the video. It tells you what happened in the first installment of the series. I'd better advise you to play the two installments by yourself. The game is really impressive, despite the old fasion visuals, it deserves your 50 hours to play them.

Let me put the story a bit short. Geralt found him alive in a base, he only remembered he was chased by some bad guys and was nearly killed by someone. In order to retreive what he had forgot, he set a journey to the north to find any evidence relating to the last piece of his memory. He met many people and was ever stirred into a political affair.  In between the conflict of kingdoms, he had to make hard choice to stick to his faith as a witcher. 

And then, after all these political things, the third game begins. So I think the third game shall be the best installment of the series. For it would tell us what was truly happning in Revia, where he ever lived and sacrified himself to save his love.

Just watch this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ony2r0QFs

To me it looks more like something Dragon Age

This video pretty much sums up everything you need to know about Witcher. They try and go into detail with most spells/abilities and how the combat system is.

Also I wouldn't compare it to Dragon Age really. I felt like Dragon Age's free form combat ( not the tactical) was very clunky and overall bad. Witcher 3's combat looks very fluid and much much more in depth. I do feel like it will play a lot better on the PC due to the amount of keybindings you can have but I don't see the game being terrible for PS4. This is my most anticipated game of the year.