Has A Show Ever Emotionally Affected You?

Tomoko Kuroki

My icon/signature theme kinda gives it away, but Serial Experiments Lain has been the most recent one.

I resonated emotionally with Lain's character in so many unexpected ways. Her relationship with Alice, her introversion, her loneliness, her personality swings, her dissociation with the real world. That, and watching the show more or less kickstarted my teenage philosophical awakening. I've spent a lot of time pondering things from the conscious state of humanity to how we perceive reality itself.

• Like 1

Honestly, you know when you get really tired and read things incorrectly and your brain kinda fills in the gaps? I read this as "Has a SHOWER ever emotionally affected you" and thought , wow, not just me. Then realised my huge mistake when I read the comments.

Anyway, back on track.

I get INCREDIBLY emotionally invested in most media, films, books, games, tv, anime. Possibly the show I need most boxes of tissues for (for tears, fyi) is Buffy. Oh, man, that final episode? BAWLED LIKE A BABY. I feel like this kind of emotional response is becoming increasingly more common, especially with the rise of netflix and TV marathons. If you watch a 24 episode season in a week, you've spent a full days worth of time following these characters dramatic storylines around. Not always in a sad way either, I've found myself smiling and laughing along with characters too.

• 1 month later...

Many of the things I've seen have caused some sort of emotion to stir inside of me. The latest show to do so is Furutama. I'm rewatching it right now and just about every episode that reveals parts of Fry's past get to me. The ones with his brother, dad, mom, and Seymour hit hardest. Goddammit Seymour. Excuse me for a minute.

Edited by theguytom
  • Like 1

Many of the things I've seen have caused some sort of emotion to stir inside of me. The latest show to do so is Furutama. I'm rewatching it right now and just about every episode that reveals parts of Fry's past get to me. The ones with his brother, dad, mom, and Seymour hit hardest. Goddammit Seymour. Excuse me for a minute.

I hate that episode :( I actually refuse to ever watch again because of that ending.

That being said, despite the sad ending it still has one of my favourite lines :)http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x187uil_professor-farnsworth-and-dolomite_fun

Which makes WAY more sense if you know who Dolemite is :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stmzlKVYncw

For me, it was without a doubt "Beyond Belief", the mystery show with Jonathan Frakes.

I watched that show a lot when I was a kid and was scared shitless by it. I couldn't sleep for weeks because of some episodes. It definitely had a big influence on me and what kind of "horror" I like.

Every now and then I like to go back and watch a couple of episodes, I love this show.