Need help! Laptop screen on Tv? How?

Verona7881

Hi everyone, I have a question. Maybe there is already a topic about this, if so please link me to it?

I want to share my laptop screen with a Sharp tv. I tried it already the settings of the screens on laptop, but problem is that my mouse goes to the Sharp tv, and such.I want it in a way that people can watch Netflix on tv through my laptop, and that I can do other things, like playing on Steam. Sometimes stores have this as well. You only see a video or commercial, but not the mouse arrow, or anything. I think they also shared the screen. And in a way I try to get too!

Does somebody know how?

Edit: I think I posted this on the wrong place! I think it had to be in the Off-Topic. My apologizes!

Edited by Verona7881

There are so many variables in this I don't know where to begin. In most video playing applications, your cursor (what you keep calling your 'mouse arrow') should disappear after a moment when watching a video. 

On many laptops, once you hook up the TV as an external monitor, shut the laptop and it will go to sleep. With the laptop shut, you should be able to click the mouse, which will wake the laptop, but only use your TV as the display.

How about you explain what OS and display cable you're using and the help can start from there.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the replies!

Yes Im using a HDMI from laptop to the tv. Yeah I mean cursor, sorry my English sometimes.

And yes, there are four settings I can choose from.

My Windows 8 is Dutch, so I dont know how its wrote in English.

Anyway, I had a setting, that it was like both screens were different.

You only saw the background of the laptop on tv, and only sound from Netflix, but no Netflix screen.

There was also one, that the laptop was normal but the icons moved to the tv screen, along with the cursor.

When I take out the HDMI cable out the laptop and put it back in, the settings stays but the cursor moves back to the laptop, but the icons stays on the tv screen.

Very weird! I hope you understand me, because explaining in English is sometimes very difficult for me! :C

There should be an option for two separate screens like this.

fdzn6c.jpg

That is the setting I use for my laptop set up. You can switch the screens around to fit your preferred locations of your tv and laptop.

Also, I suggest trying to separate the Netflix into an another browser and set that on the TV screen so there are two browsers. One with Netflix, and another with your stuff.

Edited by dakk55

Find the settings dakk55 showed in his post and follow his tips. Whichever display is your "main display" will have your icons/shortcuts. You can physically drag the display icons around in that settings window. Play around there and Windows should do what you'd like it to.