Help me rediscover JRPGs

DrBloodmoney

Ys: Memories of Celceta is an amazing action-JRPG, pretty expansive and a lot of fun, great story. Some others I would recommend:

-Persona 4 Golden

-Tales of Hearts R

-Sword Art Online

-Rainbow Moon

Played (and platted) Ys last year - was very impressed - ill be checking out any future Ys games on vita for sure

Rainbow Moon - Not a JRPG

This one guy I know, who plays a lot of Disgaea and similar, loves FF etc, he refused to even try Rainbow Moon. You know why? Because he said the graphics are wannabe anime, and not really anime. :S I know he would love the game, but never could convince him to play it because of that silly reason. Yes, it's not made by a Japanese company, and yes, it doesn't have anime graphics... It plays a lot like the more classic JRPGs, just not made by a Japanese company... They do their own art style, and while it certainly has drawn faces with some common anime traits, it doesn't really seem like they are going for the anime look. I think they would have done better if that is really what they were trying to do. The artstyle definitely has a "flash-game"-like feeling though, but I think it fits the game just fine. In any case, I don't think it would have been a good reason not to play a game, because it's not made in Japan or because it's not "true" anime or whatever.

This one guy I know, who plays a lot of Disgaea and similar, loves FF etc, he refused to even try Rainbow Moon. You know why? Because he said the graphics are wannabe anime, and not really anime. :S I know he would love the game, but never could convince him to play it because of that silly reason. Yes, it's not made by a Japanese company, and yes, it doesn't have anime graphics... It plays a lot like the more classic JRPGs, just not made by a Japanese company... They do their own art style, and while it certainly has drawn faces with some common anime traits, it doesn't really seem like they are going for the anime look. I think they would have done better if that is really what they were trying to do. The artstyle definitely has a "flash-game"-like feeling though, but I think it fits the game just fine. In any case, I don't think it would have been a good reason not to play a game, because it's not made in Japan or because it's not "true" anime or whatever.

It's definitely not a true JRPG, but it definitely deserves a chance.

Say that J-games certification authority guarantees it :D

The Atelier series is a must (at least imo, maybe it's just the Gust fanboy in me saying this).  I'd recommend jumping to Atelier Ayesha Plus, I think it's a good starting point for the franchise, and is very beginner-friendly.  It's in the Easter sale too, so grab it while it's hot!  :P

And although I have yet to play Ys: Memories of Celceta, as a longtime Nihon Falcom fan I can tell you that you're in safe hands for an excellent J-RPG experience with that purchase.  :)

• Like 1

The Atelier series is a must (at least imo, maybe it's just the Gust fanboy in me saying this).  I'd recommend jumping to Atelier Ayesha Plus, I think it's a good starting point for the franchise, and is very beginner-friendly.  It's in the Easter sale too, so grab it while it's hot!   :P

Since we don't have E&L Plus released, I would only suggest buying it and jumping into Arland, though =D

It just doesn't feel right playing Atelier trilogies without playing them all :D

Rainbow Moon was the onei decided to play first.

It is absolutely a JRPG (a JTRPG to be precise)

JRPG is a genre - it doesnt matter if it is made in Japan or not.

I love the way it looks, its got that super-clean look of an ios game, but with the design aesthetic of the Dark Crystal. Im liking it alot

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oreshika actually is not that new, the first game was on PsOne you know. It's more like the classic long term Rpg like FFX. Valkyria Chronicles is a must get, if you don't mind the lack of trophies. Its more of srpg. Tales of Vesperia is still the best Tales Of game on my opinion exept the story which is a little lacking. Its only in japanese though. Try some tales or Disgaea 4 or D2. There is also Agarest series which is little like Disgaea with lots of visual novel stuff. Hmm what else. Atelier series are girly. No male characters or atleast very few of them. And to the discussion about jrpg not being a genre, its for those who want to separate the western and japanese rpgs from each other. Same as separating j-games and games from each other right? Is there even a game on this world which has no japanese name on the credits?

JRPG is not a genre. It's for some reason taken as a genre in west but it's not.

JRPG is a term. Term for RPGs made by Japanese companies.

So in your opinion, if a japanese developer made the next Fallout game, in the exact same style as Fallout 3 and New Vegas it would be a JRPG?

Or conversely, if a western dev made the next Final Fantaay using th same engine as FFXIII it would not be a JRPG?

Thats ridiculous - regardless of the origin of the term JRPG is has, in the common vernacular, come to mean a specific type of game, rather than a specific origin of development.

• Like 1

So in your opinion, if a japanese developer made the next Fallout game, in the exact same style as Fallout 3 and New Vegas it would be a JRPG?

Definitely, same as e.g. Dark Souls being a JRPG.

Or conversely, if a western dev made the next Final Fantaay using th same engine as FFXIII it would not be a JRPG?

Yes, it wouldn't be a JRPG in its true meaning.

Definitely, same as e.g. Dark Souls being a JRPG.

Yes, it wouldn't be a JRPG in its true meaning.

Haha, okay, well, there's no arguing with fundamentalists i guess

For the purposes of the topic i am referring to JRPGs as a genre - as i have come to see he term used most commonly to describe a game type.

I am not referring to the archaic meaning of the term as relates to origin of development - which is a definition i find irrelevant in the modern context of multi-studio, worldwide sourcing of development personnel and studios.