server shut down

d3m0nd00d

I actually am a fan of EA and its games, but even I have to admit the way they handle servers SUCKS!!! Activision (which I am also a fan of) for all the hate it gets, almost never shuts servers. I mean heck, they are still keeping open the almost empty COD Classic and COD3 servers!!!! With EA games I am always scared to play their games with MP trophies. :( I need to finish BF3 and eventually get to Crysis 2 before it is too late!!!! :o )

I actually am a fan of EA and its games, but even I have to admit the way they handle servers SUCKS!!! Activision (which I am also a fan of) for all the hate it gets, almost never shuts servers. I mean heck, they are still keeping open the almost empty COD Classic and COD3 servers!!!! With EA games I am always scared to play their games with MP trophies. :( I need to finish BF3 and eventually get to Crysis 2 before it is too late!!!! :o )

Don't be afraid dood we're here for you. :highfive:

• Like 1

Hey the last two EA fans left have to stick together. I'm here for you bro'

True enough. :D I honestly wonder what on earth EA has done to be hated so much! I mean other than server closures which should be expected anyway, they are an excellent company IMO. Anyway, I'll send you a friend request on this site.

• 3 weeks later...

See, THIS is the reason that I, for the most part, HATE games that have online. Although I long ago earned that trophy, it just pisses me off that a game that offers online will have portions of it unplayable unless people buy and play the game within' the first 4 months of its release.

Yeah, I know this server has been up longer than that, but the gist is the same.

• Like 3

True enough. :D I honestly wonder what on earth EA has done to be hated so much! I mean other than server closures which should be expected anyway, they are an excellent company IMO. Anyway, I'll send you a friend request on this site.

The killing of Westwood Studios, Maxis and Pandemic Studios is enough to cut them off of my christmas card list.

Personally, I feel they are a terrible company based on their policies and the way they handle piracy, servers and whatnot, however they do PUBLISH some fantastic games which is why I will never write them off.

Parker

• Like 2

The killing of Westwood Studios, Maxis and Pandemic Studios is enough to cut them off of my christmas card list.

I agree, Pandemic was the best studio they killed off. I absolutely LOVED Mercenaries 2, and desperately wanted a sequel. I am still holding out hope that some other studio will make another game, but that sadly is doubtful. Still I love EA as a publisher do to their awesome catalog of games i.e. Madden, Medal of Honor, Battlefield etc.

Personally, I feel they are a terrible company based on their policies and the way they handle piracy, servers and whatnot, however they do PUBLISH some fantastic games which is why I will never write them off.

Parker

I can agree that the way they handle servers is bad, and I also agree that one should never write them off if but for the awesome stable of games they control.

I agree, Pandemic was the best studio they killed off. I absolutely LOVED Mercenaries 2, and desperately wanted a sequel. I am still holding out hope that some other studio will make another game, but that sadly is doubtful. Still I love EA as a publisher do to their awesome catalog of games i.e. Madden, Medal of Honor, Battlefield etc.

I can agree that the way they handle servers is bad, and I also agree that one should never write them off if but for the awesome stable of games they control.

Exactly. When I hear of all these people that want to boycott EA I don't think they understand that in the long run all it will do is put the developer out of business, not EA. Sure, maybe in the long run EA would be gone too if everyone stuck to their guns, but then so would many, many talented developers. The way I see it, if I buy a game published by EA I'm not supporting EA, I'm supporting the developer. B)

Some of the decisions they've made with PC gaming have ensured I won't buy an EA published game for PC but they haven't really affected consoles as of yet so it's not really a big deal to me.

Parker

Exactly. When I hear of all these people that want to boycott EA I don't think they understand that in the long run all it will do is put the developer out of business, not EA. Sure, maybe in the long run EA would be gone too if everyone stuck to their guns, but then so would many, many talented developers. The way I see it, if I buy a game published by EA I'm not supporting EA, I'm supporting the developer. B)

Some of the decisions they've made with PC gaming have ensured I won't buy an EA published game for PC but they haven't really affected consoles as of yet so it's not really a big deal to me.

Parker

Agreed my friend, and you made some excellent points. I guess the only reason I am loyal to EA as a whole is due to the game franchises they own and I enjoy, but as a whole I cannot help but sadly agree they are not the best publishing company. Still, they don't charge much for DLC when compared to Activision. lol :P

Yeah, the proverbial "Catch 22" with EA.

I agree, Pandemic was the best studio they killed off. I absolutely LOVED Mercenaries 2, and desperately wanted a sequel. I am still holding out hope that some other studio will make another game, but that sadly is doubtful.

Have you not heard of Mercs Inc, it supposedly being developed by the surviving members of Pandemic at EA Los Angeles, even though it's been over 2 years since we heard anything, im hoping it hasn't been canceled

Parker

Exactly! People who bag on EA tend to forget that they pretty much made everything... well almost :P Dead Space, Battlefield, Burnout, Mass Effect and Medal of Honor are a few great games that come to mind.

It's all the fault of The Sims. It was because of the success with that franchise that enabled EA to go out on their first big buying spree. At that point the snowball had enough sell-momentum that it just went crazy from there. The 1997 acquiring of Maxis is the key point in the history of EA in case anybody here has access to a time machine and wants to go do a Sam Beckett.

Have you not heard of Mercs Inc, it supposedly being developed by the surviving members of Pandemic at EA Los Angeles, even though it's been over 2 years since we heard anything, im hoping it hasn't been canceled

Yes, I did hear about it, but it has been a long time, so I wonder if it exists any longer???

• 9 years later...

Was just looking back through my early trophies...

I will never forget this trophy, this is when a young me learnt about game servers being closed down. I'd been buzzing playing this game thinking im steaming towards platinum number 3 or something ? 

I seem to remember it feeling abit like when you crash on ya bike and crack ya nuts on the crossbar at the time lol!

@d_y8z