Guys, I seriously need your opinion.

OnePieceDude

What should I do?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should I bring him with or leave him?

• Bring him with.
    • Leave him.

Alright, so this is a serious issue. Me, and my friend were going to head to C2E2, seeing as we've gone 2 years prior. However, he's changed. He went to a different highschool as mine, and we haven't talked in forever. I would of course feel bad to cancel, (it's on Saturday, fyi) as he suffers from depression. However, my Mom and brother feel they always get third-wheeled, and I wanted to go with just them, but I don't know if I have the courage to cancel.. He is my best friend, but I haven't spoken to him in nearly year. He could have changed. I could lie to him, but I need to make a decision and I want to hear what you think.  

No, don't lie to him. That won't turn out well. Maybe take all three? Or if not, take him and try to compromise with your mom and brother? You did say he's depressed after all, and maybe they can be understanding of that. But that's if you can't bring all three. I would say go with your friend and work out something with your mom and brother for another event.

Bring him with you, and try your best to make everyone get along. He's your best friend, and you should put yourself in his shoes. How would you feel if you, suffering from depression, and being excited about hanging out with your best friend, suddenly were told by said best friend that you could no longer come, or that you decided to cancel. I know that it would hurt my feelings quite a lot.

I can understand how your parents must feel as well, as I've felt they way they do many times before, but you need to sit down with them and let them know they're not a third wheel, that you love and care for them very much, and they mean just as much to you, if not more. They need to understand that, and that just because you might spend time with someone else does not, in any way, mean you love them, or want to spend time with them, any less. They also need to realise that this person is your best friend, and that he suffers from depression, and to what degree he does.

Edited by CandiBunni
  • Like 1

However, he's changed.

Has he changed?  Or do you just think he might've changed?

A year isn't that long.  If you were best friends, I think you owe it to eachother to at least see where you both are at.  I think most people would be eager to have the opportunity to catch up.

You need to speak to your friend and tell him the truth, the reason why you want to go with your family! If he is your best friend as you say then he should understand, you should never have to lie to him. The fact that you haven't spoken to him in nearly a year is hard as you two may have drifted too far apart to have the same relationship that you did before but on the other hand it could be what you too need to get back to being the best friends you were before. You mentioned he's changed, in what sense has he changed? Do what you want to do and not what others want! It's your choice! Your family will definitely understand! Maybe go with your friend this year and next year go with your family? 

If you haven't talked to each other in almost a year, and he's made no attempt at changing that, then he isn't your friend anymore. There's no need to worry about his feelings, because it doesn't sound like he's worrying about yours. Just go and have fun with your family. Bringing along someone who you aren't really friends with anymore, and who is only there because you feel guilty, will only make the whole thing less fun.

The worst thing that can happen is for him to find out about your lies (if you do happen to lie) from another friend and for him to lose his trust for his best friend. If he's indeed depressed, he really doesn't need that.

*speaking from experience*