Link PS3 and PS4 guides

I was just checking the guide for The Legend of Korra (PS4) and realized that only the PS4 version of the game directly links to the guide. The PS3 version, even though it's exactly the same as the PS4 version and therefore could be covered by the same guide, still just links to an empty "tip guide". Seeing as most (if not all) cross-platform games are identical, maybe these kinds of guides could be linked to both versions of the game?

Maybe even the Vita versions could be linked up (if it still is the same game as the home consoles version).

Perhaps the best way to do this would be to add "Guide also applies to PS3/PS4/Vita" checkboxes to the guide creating tool.

There is the remote chance that a trophy list could differ, or that something in the guide cold differ.

For example, the PS3 version of Shadow of Mordor has 1 trophy less than the PS4 version.

Another thing is that a guide could refer to using the touchpad or whatnot on PS4, and you wouldn't have it on PS3.

It would be also great if trophy guides would be linked to every trophy list of the same game.

For example Tales of Xillia has 2 separate trophy lists identical to each other (obviously for the same platform also),but its trophy guide is only linked to one trophy list

A very good idea, never even thought of that.

There is the remote chance that a trophy list could differ, or that something in the guide cold differ.

For example, the PS3 version of Shadow of Mordor has 1 trophy less than the PS4 version.

Another thing is that a guide could refer to using the touchpad or whatnot on PS4, and you wouldn't have it on PS3.

True, but not only are those cases few and far between, that's why I suggested checkboxes - so the process wouldn't be automatic. Also, even if the checkbox were ticked, on could always put a disclaimer saying "So and so trophy/feature is different in so and so version".

• Like 2

In regard to the same trophy list (for different regions) on the same platform.

The games can be different from region to region and that could require different strategies to get trophies.

True, but not only are those cases few and far between, that's why I suggested checkboxes - so the process wouldn't be automatic. Also, even if the checkbox were ticked, on could always put a disclaimer saying "So and so trophy/feature is different in so and so version"

You can't really expect a guide creator to be omniscient about every version of the game he is creating a guide for. Edited by DocDoomII
  • Like 1

You can't really expect a guide creator to be omniscient about every version of the game he is creating a guide for.

No, but this is 2015. A quick Google search would tell anyone everything they need to know about the few rare titles whose trophies do differ from version to version.

Why would they bother? Why should they bother?

If someone is writing a PS4 guide of a EU game, why would they even care to see if there is a JP version, if the trophies are the same, if the game doesn't differ in any aspect of the gameplay and so on?

You're adding additional burden on guide creators.

• Like 2

Well, they're making a guide, so I' assuming they want to help their fellow gamers. Why not easily help twice as many? 95% or more of cross-platform games have the same trophies, so they should barely have any extra work at all. And using the site itself, it would take them less than 5 minutes to just compare the lists. If they just made an entire guide, a quick little trophy comparison should barely be any fuss to them.

And all I'm suggesting is the addition of checkboxes. Even if the trophies are the same, the guide maker could just choose not to tick them if he so desires.

In regard to the same trophy list (for different regions) on the same platform.

The games can be different from region to region and that could require different strategies to get trophies.

You can't really expect a guide creator to be omniscient about every version of the game he is creating a guide for.

Couldn't this be solved with the guides that show up having a "Written for PS3/PS4 version label"

Couldn't this be solved with the guides that show up having a "Written for PS3/PS4 version label"

Sure, that could work. As long as everyone that has the game can easily access the one "universal" guide, I'm fine with that.

If someone is writing a PS4 guide of a EU game, why would they even care to see if there is a JP version, if the trophies are the same, if the game doesn't differ in any aspect of the gameplay and so on?

You're adding additional burden on guide creators.

Why are you so closed minded? 

• Like 1

That's already obvious from the list of platforms underneath the game's title art in the top-right hand corner of its trophy list.

I was referring to the fact that you could create a guide for say Unifinished Swan, all three versions are the same but on the off chance there's a little difference it would be handy to know which version the guide creator wrote it for.

I was just checking the guide for The Legend of Korra (PS4) and realized that only the PS4 version of the game directly links to the guide. The PS3 version, even though it's exactly the same as the PS4 version and therefore could be covered by the same guide, still just links to an empty "tip guide". Seeing as most (if not all) cross-platform games are identical, maybe these kinds of guides could be linked to both versions of the game?

Maybe even the Vita versions could be linked up (if it still is the same game as the home consoles version).

Perhaps the best way to do this would be to add "Guide also applies to PS3/PS4/Vita" checkboxes to the guide creating tool.

The controls are different between the Vita and PS3/4. Vita has no L2 and R2 buttons and uses touchscreen features. The PS4 controller has no start and select buttons. If games share a trophy list, the guides links to them. 

I believe Vita version of Rayman Origins has an extra collectibles called Relics that are exclusive to the Vita version only. The PS3 version doesn't have trophies related to them.

Why are you so closed minded? 

Come back and say that again after writing a guide. I've written guides for different versions of the same game and maintaining and updating them is annoying. Grammatical errors have to be corrected twice and no, just copy-pasting doesn't work. Because the links to the trophies have to be adjusted too. Otherwise they'll all link to the PS3/4/Vita version instead of their own list. And the controls are different between those 3 consoles.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

The controls are different between the Vita and PS3/4. Vita has no L2 and R2 buttons and uses touchscreen features. The PS4 controller has no start and select buttons. If games share a trophy list, the guides links to them. 

I believe Vita version of Rayman Origins has an extra collectibles called Relics that are exclusive to the Vita version only. The PS3 version doesn't have trophies related to them.

Come back and say that again after writing a guide. I've written guides for different versions of the same game and maintaining and updating them is annoying. Grammatical errors have to be corrected twice and no, just copy-pasting doesn't work. Because the links to the trophies have to be adjusted too. Otherwise they'll all link to the PS3/4/Vita version instead of their own list. And the controls are different between those 3 consoles.

Yea, but this was a nice logical statement.

Although this idea really isn't that bad. I know you have two Dragon Age Guides as ps3/ps4 isn't exactly the same, but lets say you just wanted to do the ps4 one only, you know because you want to and it really is your choice. So now there isn't a ps3 guide, would it really be so bad if you could hit something to allow it on both games and it is very clearly noted that the guide was made for ps4 and if you are on ps3 some things might be different. It would be better than no guide link on the game or having people search just to get to the ps4 game which would be the same place anyway. Of course provided there was no guide for that version and if there was it would supersede any linked guide. 

Wait a second. Do you write the entire link including the url or just link it to #trophy-name? I haven't written a guide for separate versions of the same game yet, but couldn't you fix the grammar errors in one and then go to HTML view. You could copy and paste the changes into the HTML view of the other guide as well. If you only linked to #trophy-name, it says 

<a href="#trophy-name">Trophy Name</a> instead of <a href="website/guidename#trophy-name">Trophy Name</a>

Copying and pasting doesn't change the links since it's linking to the anchor "trophy-name" and the anchor would be the same if the trophies' names were the same in both games.

You wouldn't have to copy and paste the entire section, just the parts that needed changing due to grammar. I can also see how this can be complicated to someone who doesn't know HTML. Changing each of the guides manually would just take longer, depending on the amount that needs to be changed.

I hope I made sense in this post.

EDIT: I just tried it in my guides, and if you've linked to #tips-and-strategies and copy and paste it into another guide, even in the basic editor, it says linked to #tips-and-strategies. When I clicked it in the other guide, it linked to the tips & strategies section in second guide (the one that I just pasted it into) and not the first guide (the one that I copied it from). I copied while in edit mode, not while simply viewing the guide.

OT: I wouldn't really like it if there were an option to link the various guides together. Every version of the game is coded in a slightly different way and can have different bugs or glitches depending on how the system interprets the files. The game Home for PS4 and Vita is a perfect example. There is a glitch on the PS4 version that can cause trophies to stop unlocking. The glitch doesn't seem to happen on the Vita version. If the guide was written based on the Vita version, the author wouldn't know about the glitch and it could cause players of the PS4 version to worry about why their game isn't unlocking any trophies.

Edited by theguytom