Shenmue III

Rabid_lnfant

For people wanting a remastering of the first two, you'll need to go and speak with Sega as they hold the licenses. If S3 sells 2 million on release I think Sega may remaster the first two. I hope for you guys this game sells good. 

Yeah I was gonna point out that neither Suzuki nor Sony hold the rights to the first two games so they aren't the ones to ask about remastering them and that decision lies with Sega.

I also never played the first two games so I am interested in this one, especially since the first two are too rare and expensive and are on systems I don't own nor care to own.

• Like 1

I have to ask this because I've never heard of Shenmue before: what is it? Like what are the details of this game that's made it so great for everyone. All I'm getting is this rural Japan vibe from what I saw.

I mean I could consult YouTube but that defeats the purpose of having a community to talk to.

I have to ask this because I've never heard of Shenmue before: what is it? Like what are the details of this game that's made it so great for everyone. All I'm getting is this rural Japan vibe from what I saw.

I mean I could consult YouTube but that defeats the purpose of having a community to talk to.

Shenmue's an extremely detailed and story-driven open-world game that was pretty impressive when it came out (still impressive now, honestly). It was more of an atmospheric open world game though, with it's locale and attention to even the most minor of characters.

We're talking every NPC having a voice actor and different dialogue, NPC's having a different walking route as days progressed in-game time, the fact that the game DID have a day and night cycle AND weather that changed, and the fact that you can do something as small and simple as opening up any drawer to pick up and examine items in detail.

The whole thing was pretty much emphasis on interacting with almost everything in a life-like world, which was a pretty big deal for something that came out in late '99. Paved the way for a lot of games with what it brought to the table too.

Edited by Inc

Yeah I was gonna point out that neither Suzuki nor Sony hold the rights to the first two games so they aren't the ones to ask about remastering them and that decision lies with Sega.

I also never played the first two games so I am interested in this one, especially since the first two are too rare and expensive and are on systems I don't own nor care to own.

I think Sega will if the public loves Shenmue 3. People have to remember Internet love for something doesn't translate into good sales. I do hope you get to experience it. It was great for it's time. I don't know if Shenmue 3 will be good but I know it will be decent.

I question how well the Shenmue games would hold up, even with a HD remastering.

Anyone new to the franchise (unless really open-minded, something the gaming userbase isn't known for)... will not understand why it was as influential as it was.  It'll just be a game viewed by newcomers as mediocre graphics, laughable voice acting (let's be honest lol), cliche plot and QTE's... because there's no reason to be impressed by night/day cycles, dynamic weather patterns and explorable open worlds anymore... with as far as those things have come in the last decade.  Even vets of the franchise might be unable to look past it too.